Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Helmet for a baby

desertrose

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 4:48 pm
My dd is standing and trying to climb on everything. She seems to hit her head alot and I have to always be within mm of her....is there such a thing as a helmet for infants? If so, where can I get one?
TIA!

Last edited by desertrose on Thu, Apr 08 2010, 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

bandcm

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 4:53 pm
Helmet. (Helmut is a German name).
All babies take knocks sometimes. You don't want to wrap her up in cotton wool.
What you should do is pad sharp corners on furniture she bumps into.

desertrose

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 1:16 am
Thanks for your reply and for clearing up my spelling error - now my search on google is more successful! LOL
But, the not being able to wrap in cotton wool is exactly the problem here. Dd is very clumsy and unstable at the moment and someone here wrote a post about how dangerous it is with head injuries on infants soft heads.....

grace413

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 2:36 am
It's both exciting and scary to watch your child develop and try new activites.

I see you are in Israel so you no doubt have wonderful tile floors which are indeed very hard. That said, I've been in Israel for many years and never once have seen a baby injured from falling when trying to walk, even when their head has hit the tile.

Climbing can be a problem. It's your responsibility to make the house as safe for her as possible. Children this age do have to be constantly supervised if they are moving around. Kids are very curious at this age. A helmet may protect her from a fall (although I certainly don't think it's necessary) but what if she's toddling around and you are not supervising - she can stick something metal in an electric outlet or do zillions of other things. Furthermore I have a feeling a helmet will just make it more difficult for her to learn to balance.

Try minimizing things she can climb on, watching her closely, and when you need 5 minutes alone put her in the crib/playpen.

desertrose

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:27 am
Thanks for the advice grace413!
Yes indeed, my dd is also a electric wire lover.
I am around her 24/7 so she doesnt injure herself ch vĀ“chalila!
I did see a helmet on an infant, they are not heavy but my dd will probably get annoyed and try tear it off.

newlymarried

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:30 am
I have also seen an infant wearing a helmet, but I think maybe that is when they have a flat head (from lying on it too much) and the helmet is to provide pressure for the bones to get back into the right shape.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics