Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
7 month old had milk and eggs. Now what?

Seraph

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 1:42 am
I really try to hold back from my kids having allergens until they are a little older, usually around a year. While we have no food allergies in the family, we do have lactose intolerance (I had when younger and many of my siblings and father currently have).

That said, someone watching my baby yesterday gave him pancakes with milk and eggs. Exploding anger (She was watching him and my older son. I sent 5 foods that were fine for the baby, one food that was only for my older son, and she decided to give that one food to the baby during the time that she wasn't answering the phone when I was trying to reach her to tell her what he could and couldn't eat.)

I don't see any allergic reaction though. I mean, he has a runny nose now, but he has had one since pesach.

Being that he isn't having a noticeable reaction, should I let him have milk and eggs, or still keep him from eating them?

The main reason why I ask is he has thrush and I wanted to know if it was a bad idea to give him yogurt for the acidopholous...

Rodent

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 2:21 am
Milk cooked in things and cultured in yoghurt or cheese should be fine. Just not drinking it etc. Lactose intolerance (as opposed to dairy allergies etc) normally don't develop until 18 months+. It's something to do with the natural enzymes a baby has to digest breast milk decreasing since babies are weaning at that age and only then not being able to tolerate the dairy that the body doesn't expect. So watch out for it devloping later on.

Eggs should be ok but I would still watch him for the first couple of times as they don't always react the first time.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 2:32 am
An allergy can take several times to show up. If my 7 month old ate something I didn't want him to be eating yet, I would just be happy he was okay, and still wait to feed it to him on a regular basis. I wouldn't consider him "already milchig" just because he was given a bit of milk Wink

Inspired

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 5:10 am
I agree with isramom and also you should know that yolks are far less allergenic than the whites. So, you can start him on yolks sooner than on whites. I would still wait for that until about 10 months though, personally.

sarah86

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 5:23 am
I started my dd on egg yolks at 7 months, and dairy (like yogurt) at 7.5 months. I did it very slowly-a few tbsp a day. I was told a baby shouldn't eat a whole egg until 10 months old-so I just fed her half a scrambled egg until then. If you see no reaction, why not feed your baby dairy and eggs (but no milk uncooked until 1 year). My dd loves scrambled eggs!

Isramom8

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 5:29 am
Does not eating a whole egg mean "only the yolk" or does it mean "half of the yolk and half of the white"?

Seraph

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 5:35 am
Inspired wrote:
I agree with isramom and also you should know that yolks are far less allergenic than the whites. So, you can start him on yolks sooner than on whites. I would still wait for that until about 10 months though, personally.
Would you give the yogurt then?
Would you still be vigilant about not serving him any foods that were made with eggs as a binder?

sarah86

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 5:38 am
Whole egg means-1/4 of the whole including yolk and white. I started with yolk, when I determined that there was no allergy I added in whites.

queen

Post Sat, Apr 10 2010, 11:10 pm
my baby is 8 months old and I just began yogurt--- loves it (!!!!)
I'd hold off on real milk and eggs still just a bit longer.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Apr 10 2010, 11:23 pm
Honestly, If there is no reason to suspect allergies, I wouldn't worry. My doctor always suggested eggs and dairy at about 9 months.

Get some grapefruit seed extract for the thrush---Its a miracle worker! I used it recently for the first time and It was really better then ANY prescribed medicine I have tried.

flowerpower

Post Sat, Apr 10 2010, 11:27 pm
I gave my kid yogurt starting from like 7-8 months. She barely nursed and this was a good nutritious food. It is different from regular milk and other dairy stuff. I would hold off milk until 11 months. I didn't see any allergic reaction to eggs and gave her sometimes stuff with eggs like french toast at that age already.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sat, Apr 10 2010, 11:51 pm
Why don't you give the acidophilus in capsule form. Just mix the powder into some baby food.

We have no history of allergens in the family and I'd love to introduce yogurt into my 7 month old's diet, but I'm still holding off for a little bit.

june21

Post Sat, Apr 10 2010, 11:54 pm
Which yogurt do u feed your baby? I only find my choices are skim milk low fat plain withou sugar or high fat loaded in sugar and syrup. What's best??

flowerpower

Post Sat, Apr 10 2010, 11:55 pm
I buy mehadrin or j and j vanilla which has good ingredients-no junk or coloring in it and no fat free stuff either.

Seraph

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:57 am
june21 wrote:
Which yogurt do u feed your baby? I only find my choices are skim milk low fat plain withou sugar or high fat loaded in sugar and syrup. What's best??
I fed my baby homemade yogurt made with whole milk and acidopholous. A few tablespoons only.

Is grapefruit seed extract also good for diaper rash thrush?

bnm

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 2:41 am
I wouldn't give again... my daughter ate milk products for more than 3 weeks, then we switched her to milk formula and thats when the full blown reaction came out. I would be afraid to risk it.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 9:59 am
Seraph wrote:
june21 wrote:
I fed my baby homemade yogurt made with whole milk and acidopholous. A few tablespoons only.

Is grapefruit seed extract also good for diaper rash thrush?

thats what I used it for. I diluted it 15 drops to each ounce of water, put it into a spray bottle, and sprayed him generously at each diaper change, it looked better in 24 hours, and was completely gone in 4/5 days, I kept spraying for a week or so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics