Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Alllergic to protien

small bean

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:30 am
I took my son to a GI and was told that it looks like he is allergic to protien among other things. Anyone ever told that? did you breastfeed and just not eat any protien? I don't know yet forsure as we are in middle of doing the tests but just curious what other did or if anyone ever dealt with this.

small bean

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 3:39 pm
bump - anyone know about this?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 3:50 pm
What I know is that breastfeeding while not eating any protein will destroy your strength (if not health).

My dh says it's not possible to be allergic to all protein. Animal protein, vegetal protein... but all protein? No.
Also in your milk there are lots of proteins even if you don't eat any (which is impossible! it's there even in fruits and veggies). My dh says, find another doctor!

small bean

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 4:06 pm
Ruchel wrote:
What I know is that breastfeeding while not eating any protein will destroy your strength (if not health).

My dh says it's not possible to be allergic to all protein. Animal protein, vegetal protein... but all protein? No.
Also in your milk there are lots of proteins even if you don't eat any (which is impossible! it's there even in fruits and veggies). My dh says, find another doctor!
actually it's common in baby's and they grow out of it usually by a year. I know 2 ppl irl who their kids have it - but they use special formula... I want to know anyone who has it and breast fed.

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 4:15 pm
small bean wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

actually it's common in baby's and they grow out of it usually by a year. I know 2 ppl irl who their kids have it - but they use special formula... I want to know anyone who has it and breast fed.

To be allergic to ALL types of proteins? There are proteins in your breast milk. In cow's milk. Eggs. Cheese. Fish. Beef, Tofu. Lentils. Beans. Rice. Broccoli. Lettuce. On and on and on. Proteins are nutritionally required. I cannot fathom that a person could be allergic to ALL proteins and survive.

small bean

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 4:22 pm
there are certain protiens you can eat. but no dairy, no soy, no beans, no fish, no certain fruits and vegies, no eggs, no nuts...

I think certain kinds of poultry is ok,

it's worse for the kid if they have it, bec body can't tolerate it and they can't digest, my kid just keeps loosing weight, blood in the stool, reflux, and screaming all day....

kids who have this typically outgrow it by a year - assuming no contact with the above mentioned things...

there is a complete diet that I don't have yet, as I'm waiting for the results...

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 4:29 pm
Multiple Food Protein Intolerance does happen. Generally the baby ends up on a hypoallergenic formula like Neocate or Elecare. Breastfeeding is not an option for a child with MFPI. The sooner the child gets off of the allergens, generally, the sooner they outgrow it and are able to get back to eating regular foods.

small bean

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 4:31 pm
Liba - the GI said you can breastfeed but you have to follow a certain diet.... or you can go on hypoallergenic formula.

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 4:52 pm
Small Bean I hope it works for you! If the child is allergic to all protein, then elemental is the only thing that they will tolerate since the proteins are already broken down into amino acids which are no longer allergenic. There is no way to do that to breastmilk, no matter what you do or don't eat.

If they child has specific allergies, not to all protein, then avoiding those allergies and continue nursing could certainly work.

small bean

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 4:55 pm
I don't know how it works - but the doc did say it's possible to breastfeed - just you can't eat almost all protien, many carbs, and many fruits and vegies... she said it's hard but I can try. she also said I wouldn't be able to breastfeed for one month - while my body clears out....

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Apr 20 2010, 10:56 pm
small bean wrote:
I don't know how it works - but the doc did say it's possible to breastfeed - just you can't eat almost all protien, many carbs, and many fruits and vegies... she said it's hard but I can try. she also said I wouldn't be able to breastfeed for one month - while my body clears out....

I have gone off eggs and dairy and about 10-12 other foods, to breast feed my allergic baby. But if there are multi protein allergies, I am unsure of what you will be able to eat. I am also not sure f it would really be necessary to not nurse at all for a month. Some proteins clear the milk faster then others. Two weeks may be sufficient.

Also after a few weeks of of formula, I do not know what your supply will be like even with round the clock pumping. Its quite a challenge. I wish you the best of luck, I would be happy to offer any allergy advice I can, but it sounds like this is tougher then anything I have dealt with.

small bean

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:52 am
I think I'm going to feed him thru the first month on the diet and he will only fully be off protien starting the second month... I have to ask the doc if that's ok. I should be getting the results tomorrow.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:10 pm
I know someone in this situation and yes it's true that the milk itself still has protein.
I guess her case was just more severe than yours.
I think her baby had to take something before eating or something like that, that broke the protein down or made it not as bad for her.
Either way it was very complicated and very dangerous (wish I could remember more, sorry).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics