Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
New recipe for chicken on the bone?
1  2  Next

SV

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:32 am
We usually have some variation of chicken bottoms for Friday night. Everybody is sick of regular baked chicken with duck sauce, or soy sauce or mushroom sauce or whatever. I am looking for a way to prepare chicken thighs that it not too time consuming but will be something a little different than your average baked chicken.

Does that even make sense? Confused Hope somebody has a suggestion...

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:37 am
fried chicken, broiled chicken and there are tons on this site

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:53 am
Ssouthern style chicken in the oven? (although I do like it crispy out of the oven - never tried to keep it warm for Friday night.)
Roasted chicken with onions and garlic?

How about chicken curry stovetop?

Mishie

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:04 pm
Make Hawaii style chicken.

Place the chicken pieces in pan.
Add a can of pineapple chunks (without the liquid), sliced green pepper, sliced onion, mushrooms.
Make a sauce using: Soy sauce, Brown sugar and some parve salad dressing.
Pour over chicken and veggies.
Bake covered for 1 hour, and then uncover and continue baking until done and brown on top.

Delish!!!

(p.s. you can serve this with rice, or you can place sliced potatoes and sweet potatoes under chicken before baking. )

SV

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Ssouthern style chicken in the oven? (although I do like it crispy out of the oven - never tried to keep it warm for Friday night.)

Can I have the exact recipe please?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:36 pm
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Southern Style Chicken
• 4 chicken bottoms, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
• 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• spices to taste
• 3/4 cup regular or seasoned breadcrumbs

Combine mayo, mustard, and spices to taste in a medium bowl. Add skinless chicken pieces. Mix to combine, spreading mixture all over each piece of chicken.
Dip each side of chicken in bread crumbs, and arrange in a 9x 13 pan.
Spray chicken with pam, or brush with a bit of oil.
Bake, uncovered, at 375, for 1 hour.

Tip: use a dry paper towel to pull of the skin in one fell swoop.

P.S. If I were making this for Friday night, I'd probably leave on the skin, so that the chicken stays more moist.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

mosma

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:37 pm
SV wrote:
We usually have some variation of chicken bottoms for Friday night. Everybody is sick of regular baked chicken with duck sauce, or soy sauce or mushroom sauce or whatever. I am looking for a way to prepare chicken thighs that it not too time consuming but will be something a little different than your average baked chicken.

Mushroom sauce sounds good...what do you do?

A family favorite here is breaded chicken. Coat the pieces in dijon mustard or mayo and then dip in flavored breadcrumbs (I add extra spices too) then bake on 350 for 45 minutes. (Pam the baking sheet)
Yum! Sometimes I chop potatoes and sweet potatoes and carrots and onions and oil and spice them (easiest is just a packet of Lipton Ranch dressing) and sprinkle them around the chicken so I get a side dish with it.

6coop

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:49 pm
I serve the same chicken every Friday night and my family never gets sick of it. I think I would have a mutiny on my hands if I ever served something different. What I do is just sprinle the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder and paprika (and put a little bit of water on the bottom of the pan) and bake. I usually bake it with something else in the pan with it like sliced poatoes, onions and mushrooms, or green beans, so that way I get a side dish too.

YALT

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:59 pm
the easiest I do which always comes out good:

sprinkle:
garlic powder or minced garlic (comes in McCormick spice)
onion powder
salt
pepper
paprika
drizzle honey all over
put abit of water to cover bottom of pan (so it doesn't dry out)

bake

sometimes I'll add another spice like cumin, crushed red pepper, italian, or whatever.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 2:17 pm
I hve a great bourbon chicken recipe posted here. it needs to marinate.

southernima

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 1:02 am
Honey chicken!
I ususally use cut-ups, but can use jsut bottoms too.

Use more or less depending on how much chicken you make....

2-3 cups brown sugar
2 cups honey
1/2 cup hot water
a little olive oil
a little onion powder (1 tsp or so)
a little garlic powder
a little pepper

mix up marinade and pour/brush over chicken
cover with fresh rosemary sprigs (or you don't have too, but I think it adds a great flavor) Sometimes I also add some dried rosemary to the pieces or the marinade.

cover and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. uncover and bake for 35-45 minutes depending on how much you are making. In the last 15 minutes, occasional (once ever 5 or 10 minutes) sprinkle brown sugar on the pieces to creat a glaze). Sometimes if I am rushing I skip the last part....chicken always comes out great! I also sometimes make the marinade very heavy with alot of brown sugar and aot of honey.....it jsut depensds how you like it!

SV

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 9:56 am
mosma wrote:
SV wrote:

A family favorite here is breaded chicken. Coat the pieces in dijon mustard or mayo and then dip in flavored breadcrumbs (I add extra spices too) then bake on 350 for 45 minutes. (Pam the baking sheet)
Yum! Sometimes I chop potatoes and sweet potatoes and carrots and onions and oil and spice them (easiest is just a packet of Lipton Ranch dressing) and sprinkle them around the chicken so I get a side dish with it.

Sorry, I just saw this. It's a bit of a patchke, but basically you sauté a large onion in some oil until golden, then add cut up mushrooms (I usually use fresh ones but if you have canned I assume that would also work) and sauté some more until the mushrooms are soft, then add whatever spices you like (I usually do salt, garlic powder, and black pepper), sprinkle some flour (about a tablespoon? maybe). Mix it well, and pour some wine or chicken broth (or just water) until you get a gravy-type consistency. Cook a little longer to let it thicken and then pour over chicken pieces in a baking pan. I usually cook the chicken covered for about 2 hours at 400 (we like our chicken very soft).

This is not an exact recipe, but you get the idea.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! Some of these I’ve done in the past (like the honey chicken). I ended up trying CM’s bourbon recipe. I will let you know how it came out.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 10:10 am
Let me know how you like it !

mosma

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 10:48 am
SV wrote:
mosma wrote:
SV wrote:

Sorry, I just saw this. It's a bit of a patchke, but basically you sauté a large onion in some oil until golden, then add cut up mushrooms (I usually use fresh ones but if you have canned I assume that would also work) and sauté some more until the mushrooms are soft, then add whatever spices you like (I usually do salt, garlic powder, and black pepper), sprinkle some flour (about a tablespoon? maybe). Mix it well, and pour some wine or chicken broth (or just water) until you get a gravy-type consistency. Cook a little longer to let it thicken and then pour over chicken pieces in a baking pan. I usually cook the chicken covered for about 2 hours at 400 (we like our chicken very soft).

This is not an exact recipe, but you get the idea.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! Some of these I’ve done in the past (like the honey chicken). I ended up trying CM’s bourbon recipe. I will let you know how it came out.

I'm going to try this!! I bought fresh mushrooms anticipating your reply so thanks!
It doesn't dry out for 2 hours on 400???? I usually cook my chicken for an hour and a half on 350... I'm only making one top and one bottom (DS is too young to stay up for chicken now that shabbos starts so late so it's just me and DH!)

SV

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 10:54 am
Make sure the chicken is covered. Also, I leave the skin on that way the chicken lets out lots of juices. I never had an issue with it drying out. But you can always cook it less or on lower temp. Hope it comes out!

mandksima

Post Sat, Apr 24 2010, 3:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Southern Style Chicken
• 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• spices to taste

Combine mayo, mustard, and spices to taste in a medium bowl. Add skinless chicken pieces. Mix to combine, spreading mixture all over each piece of chicken.

P.S. If I were making this for Friday night, I'd probably leave on the skin, so that the chicken stays more moist.

I made this for Friday night and it was amazing! Thanks so much!

shaini

Post Sat, Apr 24 2010, 9:32 pm
Something we often had at home was - chicken first brown in a saucepan, add chopped mushroons and chunks of onions and a dry red wine, it was simply delicious. Transfer to the oven for final cooking.

Motheroftwins

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 12:13 am
a really easy chicken recipe I got from a friend is....

Take Bone Sucking Sauce and brush it on the chicken. then coat in plain cornflake crumbs. bake at 350 until done.

What abt ketchup and brown sugar mixed together?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 7:36 pm
mandksima wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
SV wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Southern Style Chicken
• 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• spices to taste

I made this for Friday night and it was amazing! Thanks so much!

Glad to hear. Smile
It's based on a Quick & Kosher recipe.

atlastamom

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 8:57 pm
just found this recipe and tried it for Shabbos and it was really good:
unstuffed chicken
saute onion and celery and a little garlic then add a bag of large croutons- I used la jolla farms brand caesar flavor- and mix around then dissolve some chicken soup mix in 3/4 cup of water and add to the crouton mixture and mix till evenly moist. place chicken legs- I take skin off- in pan, pourfrench dressing over them- just enough to coat and then pour crouton mixture over everything, then I sprinkled paprika, garlic powder and parsley flakes over the top to give it some color. bake 400 for 1 1/2 hrs covered
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey