Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How important is a rocking chair?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:22 pm
Hi. I'm BH expecting my first... and not quite sure what to expect! We have a small Brooklyn apartment and are trying to figure out what we need to buy and where everything is going to go. So the question is the importance of a rocking chair... Do you think that it's very important... wonderful for nursing and the ideal way to help soothe the baby to sleep? Or did you get one and end up using the couch / bed etc. more? Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:24 pm
I've heard that people love it but you can't miss what you never had. I didn't have one and I managed without it. I nursed for the most part on the couch and later on when ds needed to be rocked, we borrowed a swing and then bought a bouncer seat (much better investment IMO for the space).

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:32 pm
I don't have room for a rocking chair and did fine without it. It is a good thing to have but pretty managable other ways too. I used my bed at night and couch by day. Couch is a great place to nurse.

INSPIREME

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:35 pm
I love my glider - a great investment.

6coop

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:40 pm
I have one and when I'm sitting in it, I love it, but I definitely could live without it. It's not on my top ten "must haves" for baby equipment.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:42 pm
I never had one, and I never felt like I needed one.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:45 pm
6coop wrote:
I have one and when I'm sitting in it, I love it, but I definitely could live without it. It's not on my top ten "must haves" for baby equipment.

op here - want to share that list? Wink

SivanMom

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:49 pm
I absolutely love my glider. I use it tons for nursing, never for anything else. I keep it in the baby's room. I have issues with my shoulder so could never nurse in my bed so it was the only option for upstairs. Dowstairs, however, I had no problems using the couch. It is easier to use the glider for the first few weeks until nursing is more well established, but using a boppy or something like that on the couch works just fine too. So although I use mine tons, I would not say it's a necessity.

Rodent

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:58 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
I never had one, and I never felt like I needed one.

Ditto

amother

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:58 pm
When I had my daughter and had difficilties trying to get the baby to properly latch on, a lactation cosultant advised me that I should not be nursing on the bed. I should be sitting up with my feet on the floor etc. I happened to have had a glider and didnt even use it, so once she told me that, I started using it and it was extremely helpful. if you have a couch, or something comfy near by, that probably would do the trick. my bedrooms are upstairs and my living room is downstairs, so that wasnt really a great option for me in the middle of the night and all....

6coop

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
6coop wrote:

op here - want to share that list? Wink

car seat (duh!)
snap-n-go
carriage (or stroller that lays flat and has a boot)
co-sleeper
bouncy seat
swing
exersaucer
gymini
baby sling
bumbo seat ( I just got this with my last kid and it was sooo great!)
Some sort of lights/music car seat toy

Is that ten? I could keep going if you want...
Obviously you don't really need all of these things, I just found these a lot more helpful to me than the rocking chair, but it probably depends on you and your baby. I don't think I would've made it through any of my kids (and I have 6 k'h) without the co-sleeper, carriage, and bouncy seat.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:08 pm
whats a co-sleeper?

shnitzel

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:11 pm
I don't have one and did fine.

You really need very minimal things with a baby I think a lot of it is marketing and convenience.

6coop

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:11 pm
amother wrote:
whats a co-sleeper?

It's like a pack n' play that has one side that you can lower and attach it to the side of your bed. It makes it very easy to attend to your baby in the middle of the night. And can also be used as a regular pack n' play.

Last edited by 6coop on Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:12 pm
I am not the op but I had never heard of it. gosh, even after having one child, I am learning about new things :)

Tova

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:24 pm
I absolutely love my recliner/glider/rocker with ottoman. I nursed/bottlefed on it, rock babies to sleep all the time, use it for reading, even labored on it when pregnant with my second. Although now in my baby's room, I got one that would look good when we are ready to transfer to our living room.

deams

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:35 pm
I got neck and back aches from nursing the baby in bed during the night. the glider was a lifesaver for me. why don't you wait a few weeks or months till after the baby is born to see it you need it?

Last edited by deams on Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:44 pm
I never got one. With my first it drove my MIL crazy that I didn't have so she gave me hers and my baby didn't even like rocking anyhow so I gave it back. With my other babies I bounced (gently) with them on my pilates ball and that worked for us. No need for the rocker.

bbmom

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 10:33 am
I didn't have one with my first, I got a hand me down right before I had my second.

I wanted one with my first but I lived in a teeny tiny brooklyn apartment and I simply had no room.

Nursing in bed did not work for me, my baby was very very small and she could not handle nursing lying down until she was about 4 months old. By then I was basically stopping to nurse her. The couch worked because it had to work, I have nowhere other "comfy" spot to nurse in. The problem was that I always had to sit with a pillow behind my back otherwise I was leaning too far back for DD to nurse properly. I was also getting terrible backaches from improper posture when nursing. I ended nursing most of the time in a straight backed dining room chair - far from the most comfortable choice, but the most practical one I had.

DS loves the gliding motion, it never fails to calm him down.

On my list of most important things -

1. Car seat
2. Stroller that can be used from birth up
(snap n go only if you have a car - I lived in brklyn and had no car so there was no reason to spend the extra money on this)
3. pack n play (this has been used and used and used)
4. bouncer or swing (I have both and both my kids hate the swing but love the bouncer)
5. Baby bath with mesh hammock
6. Nursing pillow (I have "my breast friend" which is more bulky and annoying than the boppy, but my LC suggested it and it helped me wonders with positioning both kids the first few weeks. After 3-4 weeks I was able to use just any regular pillow)
7. Tons of onesies and stretchies
8. swaddleme swaddling blanket with velcro tabs

GetReal

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 10:47 am
I used it all the time with my first and it was great. With my second I got smart and had him sleep in my bed. He nursed, I slept, and we were all happier!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics