Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is it okay to daven at a break-off Carlebach minyan?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 4:13 pm
There are three established shuls in my area. Even so, a new Carlebach minyan sprouted up. They sing and dance, and talk. If there was a Rabbi present (as there are in the other shuls), the talking would not take place.

I'm trying to figure out: Are they there because they want a more meaningful shabbos, or are these people trying to separate themselves from the established frum community? Hence, if I was a really big kiddush, can I daven there or is it problematic and I should not encourage such a thing?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 30 2015, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 4:16 pm
Is it an Orthodox service? men and women not together etc when it's not allowed? if yes, I think you can. Now, you may not like the atmosphere if you're not Carlebachian. You may also be from circles who discourage or even boycott Carlebach. Etc.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 4:22 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
There are three established shuls in my area. Even so, a new Carlebach minyan sprouted up. They sing and dance, and talk. If there was a Rabbi present (as there are in the other shuls), the talking would not take place.

I'm trying to figure out: Are they there because they want a more meaningful shabbos, or are these people trying to separate themselves from the established frum community? Hence, if I was a really big kiddush, can I daven there or is it problematic and I should not encourage such a thing?
im sorry but in many shuls that I have been to in my life there is talking that happens. you can not say otherwise.
these carlebach minyanim are not there for the purpose of talking.
I have gone to such a minyan every now and then. right after my husband and I were married, we belonged to such a minyan and went there for about two years. we were not going there to separate ourselves from the jewish community at all (I have never heard of such reasoning, sorry) but raher there was much more singing with the davening and it was just a beautiful davening, that was all.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 4:42 pm
I know what the OP is talking about. We are looking at a community that also has 3 established shuls (I wonder if it's the same community? PM me Smile ) and there are tiny break aways. We have spoken to one of the hosts I guess of one of the break aways and he just has it for Fri. nt. as it's a far walk to the closest shul. But he feels like if they were to start a Shabbos morning minyan, it would be taking it too far, and then be halachically problematic.

But then again, this is how new shuls come to be. Originally, there was one shul and then another, and then, another. A break away starts a fourth.

The issue is, who can you ask? The community rav will say no....

sky

Post Sun, Apr 25 2010, 4:46 pm
We have a Carlbach minyan in our area every fri night. dh loves it. I don't see why it would be a problem.

The people who go don't go for a fast talkative davening. It normally takes double the amount of time as in the other shul.

Marion

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 1:30 am
We considered making a minyan in our home at one point. DH actually DID ask the shul rav if this would be a problem of "al tifros min hatzibbur", and he was told it was permissible. (DH wanted more singing, and also wanted nusach Ashkenaz vs. nusach achid or Sephard.) We never did it because of logistical issues but it may still be an option down the road.

melsg

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 11:09 pm
I am very involved in a small Carlebach minyan in my community, and none of us feel it is a competition to other shuls or an attempt at being disengaged from them. We view it as a chance to have a more lively and dynamic prayer experience for Kabbalat Shabbat - a time designed for meaningful davening.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions