Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
For people who don't use baby wipes on Shabbos...
1  2  3  Next

random

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:19 pm
What do you use? Do you buy the "kosher" spray? Baby oil? Water?

pecan

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:20 pm
I use baby lotion with tissues.

joy613

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:23 pm
There's a spray called 'Baby spritz'. It's pretty much a water and soap solution which you can probably make yourself. Water doesn't work so well by itself, it's hard to wipe.
Problem is if your baby has sensitive skin, the spray can cause irritation.

SV

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:23 pm
I just wipe whatever I can with tissues and then use water if still necessary...

random

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:25 pm
Hashem loves me wrote:
There's a spray called 'Baby spritz'. It's pretty much a water and soap solution which you can probably make yourself. Water doesn't work so well by itself, it's hard to wipe.
Problem is if your baby has sensitive skin, the spray can cause irritation.

Yeah, we got the baby spritz - but I figured I can make it myself. Any idea what kind of soap is in it? Any other solutions? DD is not having "real" dirty diapers yet, but we're starting solids, so I want to have something that really works...

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:28 pm
I use the baby shpritz. But it's really expensive. I tried making my own, it didn't come out so well. And, it just didn't work for some reason. Ask seraph, she makes her own.

atlastamom

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:42 pm
another vote for lotion and tissues. Rabbi Ribiat in Hilchos Shabbos says that is an option and it works much better than water imho.

Liba

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:48 pm
We use a good spray bottle, a bit of baby oil (I used a natural one when we were in the US), a drop of lavender essential oil and a drop of tea tree oil.

The oils are mostly to preserve the solution and must be very very diluted before going on a baby's bottom.

When we were using cloth diapers we happily used cloth wipes. My son doesn't do well in cloth so we aren't washing cloth so I am not interested in just washing wipes so we use tissues or dried out wipes.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 4:51 pm
I use the 'Kosher wipes', they're called Sleek Sensations.

Plonis

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 5:14 pm
I have to say, cloth wipes are SOOO much easier than tissues. We got an actual baby wipe spray (like these: http://www.nurturedfamily.com/.....aspx?) and spritz it on. It doesn't seem to bother the babies at room temperature, doesn't contain any chemicals, and - my favorite part - THE CLOTH WIPES DON'T SHRED!!!

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 6:10 pm
I've found baby oil and tissue to work quite well.

Annie

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 6:52 pm
We dry out wipes a couple of days before Shabbos and then we have a spray bottle with regular baby soap diluted with water. This works great for us. I've never had great luck with baby oil. If we don't have enough dried out wipes, we use tissue with the spray or very soft paper towels like viva, which I think are softer than the tissues we have.

chocolate fondue

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 8:03 pm
I actually do it the way my mother always did. (She never used babywipes) I put on a plastic glove, and clean the kid's bottom by hand by the sink, with cold water. I didn't know there was any other way to do it.

Chloe

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 8:07 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Yes, same here.

mommalah

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 8:08 pm
I use cloth diapers and cloth wipes. I use Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion, Concentrate[I], in diluted form, spray on tush and wipe with cloth. Works great. All Natural.

theotherone

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 8:23 pm
I bought some spray bottles, mix water with johnsons baby soap (head to toes wash I think it's called) and use that along with tissues. it works great. we've tried baby oil but I find that to be very messy.

chatz

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 8:27 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
I use the baby shpritz. But it's really expensive. I tried making my own, it didn't come out so well. And, it just didn't work for some reason. Ask seraph, she makes her own.

This is from Seraph's blog. (It's not mentioned in connection to Shabbos, but it's a "recipe".)
Wipes are a Waste
Quote:
To make your cleaning mixture, take 1 cup baby soap, 1 cup baby oil, 2 cups water and a dash of olive oil. You can also add a bit of an essential oil if you so desire. Pour this mixture into a cheap, dollar store style spray bottle and shake well.

chatz

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 8:28 pm
Chloe wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Yes, same here.

Those confuse me. Can someone explain to me what makes them "kosher"?

random

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 10:13 pm
chatz wrote:
Mimisinger wrote:

This is from Seraph's blog. (It's not mentioned in connection to Shabbos, but it's a "recipe".)
Wipes are a Waste
Quote:
To make your cleaning mixture, take 1 cup baby soap, 1 cup baby oil, 2 cups water and a dash of olive oil. You can also add a bit of an essential oil if you so desire. Pour this mixture into a cheap, dollar store style spray bottle and shake well.

Thanks for hunting this down, chatz (and thank you Seraph, in absentia)! We're going to try it...

shmoozer

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 10:16 pm
I think that some people hold that it's sechitah to use the regular wipes on shabbos, so these are somehow permitted.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics