Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
For people who don't use baby wipes on Shabbos...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 7:50 pm
chatz wrote:
Chloe wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
I use the 'Kosher wipes', they're called Sleek Sensations.

Yes, same here.

Those confuse me. Can someone explain to me what makes them "kosher"?

I think because its made of nylon or something.

mommy9

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 7:53 pm
for 8 kids I used a spray bottle with water and tissues. For 9th baby someone gave me baby shpritz. I don't see the difference. What's kosher about the kosher wipes? I can't figure it out,aside from frum company.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 8:54 pm
pecan wrote:
I use baby lotion with tissues.

Smearing lotion is a melacha, likely worse then using wipes on shabbat. At least people hold wipes are mutter.

optimit

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 10:32 pm
It makes sense to avoid as many odd ingredients on the baby's body as possible. So if it's just urine you're trying to get off, the best way is a good shot from the sprayer in the shower or a good wash under the sink. Water. If necessary, a little liquid soap or a washrag, that you obviously don't squeeze on Shabbat but rather toss in the laundry pile.
Wipes are just another way for industry to make money off of us. They aren't necessary at home.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 10:59 pm
Baby soap and water in a spray bottle (I reuse the baby spritz bottle which I bought a long time ago) plus tissues or pre cut toilet paper.

bashabelle

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 11:46 pm
I once heard a Rav give this advice in regards to using wipes on Shabbos: Tissues tend to shred. Dried out wipes are best as the solution in the wipes is retained by the cloth, only the water evaporates. So if you use a spray bottle w/ plain water and then a dried out wipe, it acts the same as a regular wipe minus the melacha (if you spray the child, not the wipe). Also a tip for drying out wipes- take a whole stack out of the package and throw it in the dryer. Its much faster than drying one by one before Shabbos.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 1:48 am
Some of these "solutions" confuse me.

Using cloth wipes does not seem to solve anything, since the argument is that wipes ARE cloth rather than like paper, which is considered more disposable and less of a schita problem.

Using dried out wipes to absorb sprayed liquid seems like soaking a garment in liquid - this is washing and forbidden on Shabbos.

The solution I heard is to use either previously squeezed wipes (not totally dry) or extra wet wipes (wet additionally before Shabbos), because then the water doesn't squeeze out (in the former case), or what is squeezed out isn't desired (in the latter case).

Persoanlly I try to use a brand I consider extra wet anyway, and I don't squeeze it out before Shabbos. I admit to not being machmir. Tried. In our family it works if one parent is machmir on wipes and one isn't.

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 1:58 am
Isramom8 the spray isn't sprayed onto the wipe, but the bottom itself, so the wipe (cloth or dried out disposable) never gets wet enough to drip or be squeezable. Accidentally or purposefully squeezing liquid out of an overly wet wipe is what we are trying to avoid.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 2:26 am
I really did hear it's a solution to use ones that are TOO wet. Here's proof I just found: (And your explanation is proved as well.)

"2.Wiping bums. This is a big issue that many frum families are totally unaware of. There is an issur of sechita, squeezing, on Shabbos. By using wet wipes there is likelihood that liquid will be squeezed out of the wipe onto your baby’s bottom in order to clean it. There are poskim that rule that by wiping gently and not pushing with the wipe, this is circumvented. Other poskim rule that using paper wipes, or heavily saturated wipes where the liquid is visible on the surface (and therefore not inside the fibers of the wipe), is permitted. Many families avoid this issue by having pre-dried wipes and using a spray with water and a bit of baby bath/soap, spraying the liquid onto the baby and then using the dry wipes to clean."
see this web page

EmaMi770

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 2:57 am
I use water on baby and wipe with tissues

tweety99

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 3:48 am
chatz wrote:
Chloe wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Yes, same here.

Those confuse me. Can someone explain to me what makes them "kosher"?

I used to use them until somone brought them to Rabbi Falk to check them out and he said that they cant be used on shabbos. I was really dissapointed!
I now dry wipes before shabbos and use lotion. I hate changing nappies on shabbos!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 6:42 am
I make my own spray, similar to seraph...I don't measure though, and I don't use olive oil.
I use dried out wipes to do the actual swiping, since they hold up better than tissues and are softer than paper towels.

sleepwalking

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 6:50 am
pecan wrote:

Me too, it's the best solution.

lst

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 6:52 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I make my own spray, similar to seraph...I don't measure though, and I don't use olive oil.
I use dried out wipes to do the actual swiping, since they hold up better than tissues and are softer than paper towels.

we do this as well, it works fine

sleepwalking

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 6:52 am
Chloe wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Yes, same here.

Is it not expensive?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:39 am
lg wrote:
Chloe wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Yes, same here.

Is it not expensive?

I use them only on shabbos so one box lasts me quite a while. And I dont think they're so expensive.

mommyofnineka

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 9:20 am
I use "baby spritz" too. It is expensive, but it lasts me a very long time (4-6 mos.). I do find that it is hard to use tissues so about 1x a month or so, I take an entire package of baby wipes and put them in my dryer for a few minutes. Dried wipes are much easier to wipe with and I can't be bothered to leave wipes to dry out before Shabbos arrives.

be good

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 10:15 am
Quote:
pecan wrote:

Smearing lotion is a melacha, likely worse then using wipes on shabbat. At least people hold wipes are mutter.

we use cetaphil, which is runnier than soap and thicker than water. its too loose to smear, but it wont be absorbed into a tissue because its too thick. we pour a bit onto the baby and wipe away with tissues.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 10:50 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
lg wrote:
Chloe wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Yes, same here.

I use them all the time and they are way cheaper than all brand name baby wipes.Is it not expensive?

I use them only on shabbos so one box lasts me quite a while. And I dont think they're so expensive.

Roche

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 6:18 pm
just wondering, what is the melacha associated with using wipes on shabbos? And while we r on the topic, did anyone ever notice that diapers are preferated?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics