Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
HELP! My baby refuses to eat...

NYmommy

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 1:47 pm
DS (5 months)has reflux & his weight gain is extremely slow. Now he has an ear infection (he's on meds for 2 days now) and he's not getting better! He refuses to eat for hours. He goes without any food for 8-10 hours! He hardly has wet diapers. WHAT SHOULD I DO???? He hardly gains weight & now he's losing whatever he did gain! The doctor didnt really care about it but I'm worried he might get dehydrated. I tried nursing him & bottle but he wont even take a sip. He's really weak, sleeping most of the time & crying the rest. ANY IDEA????

cubbie

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 1:59 pm
Sorry to tell you that it is very common for an unwell baby to lose their appetite. I wouldn't worry at the moment about his weightgain because there is nothing you can do about it, but I would worry about keeping him hydrated, do you have a syringe? Give him a syringe of milk into his mouth every 5-10 minutes.

mamommommy

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 2:13 pm
I would also be pretty worried if he's not eating and his diapers aren't wet anymore. If he's also crying without tears, and has a dry mouth I would call the doctor again since those are classic signs of dehydration. Being weak and sleepy isn't as worrisome unless he becomes lethargic which, based on the fact that he's crying, he probably isn't. If your doctor isn't that worried, then I would just try to continue to feed him as much as possible, any little drop he takes is great. And I would keep a close eye out for signs of serious dehydration like a sunken fontanel, lethargy, and loss of skin elasticity.

Soph

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:19 pm
I know what you are going through and I with u wth all my heart!!! first dont worry, second, what worked for me up until she stated kinda eating again was giving her pedialite in a droper (she wouldnt even drink!!!) every 5 minutes...yes exhausting but important....also try jello, popsicles (I didnt try that one cuz I was afraid she would get worse from th cold), but besides that dont worry sweety ur baby will be just fineĀ” ull see him starting to get better and better...
good luck! refua shemela!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics