Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Lost....
1  2  Next

spoons

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 12:51 am
really? noone has any posts on this?
anyone else out there completely foncused- or have ideas on what the finale was about?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:26 am
I thought the finale was fantastic. Most everything got wrapped up and I liked that epilogue.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/t.....N.htm

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:27 am
I thought it was cheesy and out of character, especially the last part. I did enjoy getting answers and some parts of the finale (especially the beginning), but too much rosey lovey dovey kills it for me. I also wondered why not all characters were there in the end.

JC

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:34 am
I was really let down by the end.
I really enjoyed the build up - and thought they would really make the end worth it - but it wasnt.
They also left so many unanswered questions Sad

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:35 am
I wish they had explained the polar bear LOL

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:36 am
What wasn't answered for you? IMO, nearly everything was wrapped up fairly well.

I would have appreciated a better ending for the parallel world, I was hoping there would be a grand merge at the end. However, I think it lent itself to be a good epilogue.

As for the people that weren't there at the end, I think it's fairly obvious why they weren't there.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Fri, May 28 2010, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:37 am
Ruchel wrote:
I wish they had explained the polar bear LOL

I believe that the Dharma Initiative brought them to the island.

Barbara

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 10:53 am
WARNING -- replete with spoilers. If you haven't seen the finale, so NOT read

I thought the ending was well-done, brilliant, maybe the best 2-1/2 hours of television that I have ever seen. I gasped and cried and rejoiced throughout. The two most eloquent moments were when Hurley told Ben that he was a good number 2. Ben, who had been hoodwinked by Man in Black for all of those years, who could never discern the difference between good and bad, who actually did believe *we're the good guys,* as he said, but was wrong ... was redeemed. And how the very end reflected the beginning -- Jack in the bamboo field, found by Vincent, but with the eye closing instead of opening. Genius.

Sure, there are still mysteries, it wouldn't be Lost if there weren't mysteries, but they resolved the *character* issues. A great analysis:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.co.....67089

This explains that not all of the characters were in the ending for several reasons. From a practical standpoint, the ending was written immediately after the pilot, and never changed. Never. So the ending only has characters from the first season. (This also explains why Aaron was a baby.) Moreover, these are the people who meant the most in one another's lives, who would be moving on to the next stage of existence together. The people that you didn't see weren't part of that group. Ben's forever would be with The Others, and more specifically with Alex, maybe even Rousseau. Daniel belonged with Charlotte, and maybe Evil B--ch Mom, I mean Eloise. And as Michael explained, he's stuck as a whisper on the Island, because he didn't repent, or become a good person, and can't move on.

I didn't find it rosey or lovey dovey at all. The characters always remained people. Flawed. Kate loved Jack, and was meant to spend eternity with him (poor Sawyer, no Juliet), but she still got on the plane and left him behind. And Hurley probably would have gone too but for the ladder.

Ruchel, they explained the polar bear. Dharma experimented on polar bears on Hydra Island. The polar bears survived the purge. Escaped. Polar bears swim. And procreate.

Edit to add -- hmmm. Since Bernard was at the church, obviously there were season 2 characters. Just re-checked, and Juliet, Des and Penny were there too. So much for that theory.

Last edited by Barbara on Fri, May 28 2010, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 11:06 am
Davka I had in mind the Ben thing when I said rosey and out of character. Wink

Jack in the bamboo field was really good. It would have been nice if he was dressed the same in the two scenes though.

Barbara

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 11:14 am
Ruchel wrote:
Davka I had in mind the Ben thing when I said rosey and out of character. Wink

Jack in the bamboo field was really good. It would have been nice if he was dressed the same in the two scenes though.

Why would he have been wearing a suit on the Island? Besides, the different clothes made it absolutely clear to any doubters that the Island story was real. Otherwise, some people might have believed that everyone died in the Flight 815 crash.

In any case, I thought Ben was in character. Sure, he was a schemer. But as he said, he always thought that he summoned the Smoke Monster, not that it summoned him. He genuinely thought that he was taking instructions from Jacob, that he was doing good, not that he was doing the bidding of Man in Black.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:06 pm
Ben was more than a schemer. He was not the teary eyed, want to be loved type he is made to be in the end, to me!

It's fun to hear the different opinions!! Any other watcher?

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:17 pm
There were several episodes that show Ben's desire for love. His relationship with his father, his hope to find family with The Others, his crush on Juliet, his love for his daughter, Alex.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:26 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
There were several episodes that show Ben's desire for love. His relationship with his father, his hope to find family with The Others, his crush on Juliet, his love for his daughter, Alex.

As a child certainly. As an adult, it was selfish above everything. Of course he wanted acceptance and being considered, but he was clearly no nice guy, and above all not the lovey dovey type (sacrificed his dd, for example). Teshuva would make him good, but still not "soft".

Strictlycurls

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:31 pm
I wanted the temple and huge statue to be explained! Confused
As for the ending... it'll do. I'm not thilled with it.
Why weren't Rose and the dentist in the after-life place? I understand why Michael's kid wasn't.. (He's a grown man now!)
I'm also confused with the alternate world which they eventually all meet up. If they had all already died why did it start showing this last season? It should have been right at the end. And why did their lives change? Jack has a kid with Juliet, The korean couple never got married etc. So Jack's kid doesn't really exist?
My biggest question is when Juliet died on the island, why would her last words be "It worked"?? Meaning that they wouldn't crash, and they'd live out their lives in the real world.... So then the alternate world was REAL!!

My head's spinning.... Speechless

Barbara

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:38 pm
Ruchel wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

As a child certainly. As an adult, it was selfish above everything. Of course he wanted acceptance and being considered, but he was clearly no nice guy, and above all not the lovey dovey type (sacrificed his dd, for example). Teshuva would make him good, but still not "soft".

He didn't sacrifice Alex. Just as there were rules between Jacob and MiB, there were rules between Ben and Widmore. Those rules included *cannot hurt each other's kids* When Ben told Keamy to go ahead, he did it with every expectation that Keamy could not kill Alex. He was shocked when Keamy did. That's why Ben later goes to Widmore and chides him for changing the rules, then vows to kill Penny. Its also why Ben kills Widmore, saying *you don't get to save your daughter*

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:44 pm
Barbara wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

He didn't sacrifice Alex. Just as there were rules between Jacob and MiB, there were rules between Ben and Widmore. Those rules included *cannot hurt each other's kids* When Ben told Keamy to go ahead, he did it with every expectation that Keamy could not kill Alex. He was shocked when Keamy did. That's why Ben later goes to Widmore and chides him for changing the rules, then vows to kill Penny. Its also why Ben kills Widmore, saying *you don't get to save your daughter*

I think no really attached parent would think so clearly "there are rules, it won't happen" instead of "omg there is a lunatic mercenary threatening my kid". That's why I say cold and selfish first, then only loving to some people (I know he did love her).

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:52 pm
Strictlycurls wrote:
Why weren't Rose and the dentist in the after-life place? I understand why Michael's kid wasn't.. (He's a grown man now!)
I'm also confused with the alternate world which they eventually all meet up. If they had all already died why did it start showing this last season? It should have been right at the end. And why did their lives change? Jack has a kid with Juliet, The korean couple never got married etc. So Jack's kid doesn't really exist?
My biggest question is when Juliet died on the island, why would her last words be "It worked"?? Meaning that they wouldn't crash, and they'd live out their lives in the real world.... So then the alternate world was REAL!!

What don't you understand about the temple? It's a place where some of Jacob's people lived.

The statue is a statue. At some point, Jacob decided to live in its base.

Rose and Dentist didn't go into the afterworld with everyone else because they'd always wanted to stay separate from everyone, as specifically shown in the last episode.

They didn't all die after the bomb went off. They all lived their lives, died at different times, relived certain aspects of their lives in Purgatory. They corrected some wrongs, and to a certain extent, lived their lives as they wished they had. No, Jack's child didn't exist.

Barbara

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:53 pm
Strictlycurls wrote:

Rose and Bernard were at the church. Still of the scene:

http://ncjl.wordpress.com/2010.....nard/

As to the alternate world, read what I posted; it will help. Have you ever read The Lovely Bones? (GREAT book, if you haven't.) She posits the concept of two levels of heaven. The first level is what we can understand, as it has a form similar to that of our world, where we can live out what we would have wanted in this world. That's similar to the sideways world of Lost. John and Ben have the a loving fathers they always wanted. Alex grows up with a mother, but still has Ben in her life. Jack has a son with whom he can resolve his father issues. What they move on to will be with Sebold called the *wider heaven* (IIRC), which is really beyond our comprehension.

Strictlycurls

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 1:03 pm
The temple had holes by the wall and underground for the smoke monster! I wonder why Jacob's people claimed that it was the last safe place..
And somebody must have build the statue!! I wonder what people were there before Jacob's time.

Did anybody else notice the smoke monster sounded like electricity and like a mechanical machine?

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 1:05 pm
Ha! Well, I guess I have a good theory in the event that they weren't at the church Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics