Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Final decision- Kosher delight sesame chicken and sweet/sour

AZmom09

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:40 am
So I see a billion and one posts about the best closest recipe for Kosher Delights sesame chicken and their sweet and sour (pungent) chicken.

I looked through ALL the posts and have yet to decide what to try.
Can anyone let me know what they tried and if it was in fact as good (or at least similar) to Chinese takeout?
I don't really have the option to buy a bottle of sauce since I'm in israel, plus I'd like to make my own.

Also, I do have a recipe for AMAZING sesame chicken that I got from my sis in law- I make it when I have time. Last time I made it was purim and all the bochrim we had over went crazy over it! Now they keep asking my DH about "those awesome chicken things"
I can post if you'd like.
But.. its more a mix btwn sesame and sweet and sour.. but I promise is INCREDIBLE!

Ok, That was a side note- please let me know if you have any great recipes (esp for sweet and sour since I'm totally in the mood to make that now!!!)

Thanks!

joy613

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:46 am
sorry I don't think I have any recipes like that, But can your post your awesome chicken things recipe please??

shirafruma

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 3:54 pm
Ok, sorry to dredge up this old post but.....

I asked a friend of mine who's father owns a chinese restaurant. And he says that most of the time, fast food places like KD use MASS PRODUCTION BOTTLED SAUCE!

So, hearing this I was super excited, bc I live out of town...
so I fried chicken ina chinese style, I got the recipe from allrecipes.com

and went to work expiermenting with bottled sauces.
AND....

I found La Choy to be the BEST and closest to KD. Although SUPER NOT HEALTHY, and they only come in small jars, so you need like 3 per lb of chicken, I ts amazing. I also use b/less skinless thighs instead of breast meat.

We are having KD style sweet n sour chicken tonight with rice. Kids NOT invited. And smore for desert made with pareve shmerligns chocolate. Hope you guys get to enjoy a date night also, without the expense of a babysitter!

AZmom09

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:41 am
Thanks! Guess that's not good news for me since I'm in israel and have no idea where to get it!
I'll post my chicken recipe that I have soon..

Liba

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 5:03 am
AZmom09 Please post your recipe.

shirafruma I have never heard of boneless skinless chicken thighs before. Is it lots of smallish pieces of meat?

TzipG

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 6:01 am
Liba wrote:
AZmom09 Please post your recipe.

shirafruma I have never heard of boneless skinless chicken thighs before. Is it lots of smallish pieces of meat?

they're called pargiot here

AZmom09

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 7:04 am
Ok... Here we go!

Sesame Chicken:

Batter-
1cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup water
shake paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp oil

Cut chicken into small bite size pieces (the smaller the better). Dip it into batter and fry in pot of hot oil.
Take out of oil and put onto paper towel. Not sure how many pieces of chicken. If you see you have more chicken and less batter, just make a half batch more of batter if you need it.

Sauce-
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar (I sometimes use less so its not too vinegary)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar

Boil then mix 4 TB of corn/potato starch in 1/3 cup of watter. Add most, but not all to sauce. Let it boil again.

I like to keep chicken crunchy so I keep chicken in oven and pour sauce over chicken just before I serve it.
A little sauce goes a long way. Some people like tons on, some like less..
Then top with sesame seeds.
Takes tons of time to make but I promise its worth it!!
Enjoy!!

shirafruma

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 12:33 pm
Azmom, Thank so much!

I am gonna try your recipe for Shabbos, I will make it right before Shabbos and leave it on the blech....
Thanks everyone for your help in this serious matter Smile Only simchas!

nakatts

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 8:48 pm
AZmom09 wrote:
Ok... Here we go!

Sesame Chicken:

Batter-
1cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup water
shake paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp oil

Cut chicken into small bite size pieces (the smaller the better). Dip it into batter and fry in pot of hot oil.
Take out of oil and put onto paper towel. Not sure how many pieces of chicken. If you see you have more chicken and less batter, just make a half batch more of batter if you need it.

Sauce-
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar (I sometimes use less so its not too vinegary)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar

Boil then mix 4 TB of corn/potato starch in 1/3 cup of watter. Add most, but not all to sauce. Let it boil again.

I like to keep chicken crunchy so I keep chicken in oven and pour sauce over chicken just before I serve it.
A little sauce goes a long way. Some people like tons on, some like less..
Then top with sesame seeds.
Takes tons of time to make but I promise its worth it!!
Enjoy!!

I made this sunday nightl... it was ssoooo amazing!!!!!!!!!! this is the best recipe I have yet to try! thank you so so so so much!

AZmom09

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 10:37 pm
I'm so happy you enjoyed! It really is soo good. I have to stop myself from making it b.c of all those calories! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey