Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
How does your husband refer to his rebbe/Rosh yeshiva?

How does your husband refer to his Rebbe/Rosh Yeshiva? Does he consider himself Yeshivish?
Reb "First Name" and calls himself Yeshivish  
 28%  [ 7 ]
Reb "First Name" and doesn't call himself Yeshivish  
 8%  [ 2 ]
Reb "First Name" and I dunno about Yeshivish  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rabbi "Last Name" and calls himself Yeshivish  
 8%  [ 2 ]
Rabbi "Last Name" and doesn't call himself Yeshivish  
 20%  [ 5 ]
Rabbi "Last Name" and I dunno about Yeshivish  
 4%  [ 1 ]
OTHER.... (explain below...)  
 32%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 25

busydev

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 2:34 pm
I was wondering the following....
*all names changed and totally made up!!

In the yeshiva where I work the boys (and kollel) refer to their rabbeim as Reb Chaim instead of Rabbi Goldman. When they talk to him they will say Rebbi or Rosh Yeshiva but when they ask me they say is reb chaim in now. (for example)

I think this is funny and kinda a lack of kavod.

My husband said this is mostly only done in the yeshivish world. some yeshivas he went to they would say reb chaim and others they would say (as bachrim to each other) Rabbi Goldman. This generally went along with how "yeshivish" they were.

Do you find this is so? How does your husband refer to his rebbe/rosh yeshiva (when he is talking to you or firends, not to teh Rabbi's face)? does he consider himself yeshivish?

We also do this with Reb Moshe instead of rabbi Feinstein etc....

sruth1

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 2:51 pm
The rosh hayisheva, and we consider ourselves Yeshivish.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 2:52 pm
One is "the ruv" (roov), he's the "big gadol" type. Some are reb Firstname. Some are rabbi Surname.
My dh doesn't refer to himself as yeshivish as it's not a "thing" here, but I guess the label fits.

chaylizi

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 2:52 pm
My husband calls his R"Y Rav X or the Rosh Yeshiva. He is chassidish, but the yeshiva isn't (also, it was a European yeshiva). He doesn't like the word 'Rabbi' though. He said it doesn't mean anything anymore, because anyone can call themselves Rabbi if they feel like it. If they are a Rav, he calls them so. Otherwise, he doesn't.

In the yeshiva in my hometown, both the R"Y & the Rebbeim are called Reb 'Chaim'. In the yeshiva ketana, the boys call their Rebbe 'Rebbe'.

The term 'the Ruv' is reserved for our Rebbe (who is sometimes the Rebbe & sometimes the Ruv & I haven't yet comprehended why.

Fox

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 3:08 pm
"The Rosh Yeshiva"

JC

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 3:12 pm
"Dad"
LOL (not a kollel, but the Rav of the community)

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 3:24 pm
"Rebbe" or "the Rosh Yeshiva" when talking to any of them.

Yeshivish.

mominlkwd

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 3:46 pm
I picked other since my husband calls him the Rav but he will call him the Rabbi sometimes - he also grew up close to the Rav so that may be why we don't call him "Rabbi X". Also I'm balabatish Wink (for those non lakewooders that means we are closer to yeshivish but my DH works)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 11:41 am
I once asked one of my teachers about the Rav Moshe thing and he said it is out of a feeling of closeness with kavod -- the Rav for kavod, but we feel close to Rav Moshe and can really feel like he is with us if we asked him a shaila...

In our circles, the Rosh Yeshiva is referred to as such, but R"Y of other yeshivos are "Rav Shmuel" (Kaminetzky), for example...
My husband's rebbe is referred to as "Reb/Rav firstname" but when talking to him it's "Rebbe" -- What does Rebbe think about doing XYZ?

onlyme

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 11:51 am
"Reb Chaim" when speaking about them or to them.
When he talks to me about them, he says "my rosh hakollel"

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 11:51 am
Refers to as "the Rosh Yeshiva" or "Rav ______".
Calls him "Rebbe" to his face.
I call him "Rav ______" or "the Rosh Yeshiva" to his face. or on the phone But once I said "Rebbe" and he did a double take embarrassed LOL

gryp

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 12:11 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Refers to as "the Rosh Yeshiva" or "Rav ______".
Calls him "Rebbe" to his face.
I call him "Rav ______" or "the Rosh Yeshiva" to his face. or on the phone But once I said "Rebbe" and he did a double take embarrassed LOL
Rolling Laughter

freidasima

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 12:26 pm
The Rov.
My father z"l called his Rebbe "Rebbeh" to his face and "The alter Rov" when referring to him.

morahaviva

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 2:03 am
DH went to an Israeli "White hat"/ Hesder Yeshiva... in Israeli schools teachers are called by their first names,,, or Hamorah. I had male teachers who we even called by their first names! With that background out of the way - DH refers to his Rosh Yeshiva as Rav D., but when speaking to him uses HArav, and speaks in 3rd person.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics