Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Hand foot and mouth disease

amother

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 10:02 pm
My almost six-month-old DS woke up with a fever yesterday and was extremely kvetchy, not his usual self at ALL. I took him to the dr and was told he has hand, foot and mouth disease, a virus that cannot be treated except with Tylenol to help the fever and the discomfort. Today the rash started to develop and he is still feverish.

Last night he woke up hysterical about eight times. It was very hard to get him back to sleep each time. Sometimes nursing worked, sometimes a bottle (I think it's easier for him to drink from a bottle since his mouth hurts), sometimes rocking and singing. He is refusing to sleep in his crib and will only sleep in my bed. I don't usually cosleep (except after 5 am or so) but I'm ok with this because the poor thing is really not feeling well.

Has anyone else had experience with this virus? How long did it take for the baby to feel better? Is there anything anyone can recommend to help him sleep better tonight? He is not going to get better without sleeping and on a more selfish note I can't really withstand another night like last night. I am giving him Tylenol every four hours and gave him a lukewarm bath last night and tonight to help with the fever.

Rodent

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 4:18 am
My boys all had it last year, mild cases though. They were ok after about 4 days but if it's a bad case it may take a bit longer. Sorry, not a lot I can advise, not a lot can be done for it. When they're older ice blocks can help but your baby is too little for that. Just be careful as it's very contagious.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 7:10 am
my daughter had this right before pesach (she was almost a year) and it lasted for about two weeks I would say. she ate almost nothing and was very uncomfortable but all we were able to give her was acamol (israeli equivalent to tylenol) and it sort of helped her a bit but really all that helped was holding her on my lap a lot Smile I know that is not a help but it is just one of those diseases that have to pass and thats all you can do. good luck!

amother

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 9:28 pm
Thanks. Rodent, I had heard it is very contagious so I immediately let his day care know and am going to keep him home for a week. I hope that's sufficient. I'm sure that's where he picked it up.

Last night wasn't as bad as the night before. He got a few stretches of sleep that were over two hours and was in a bit of a better mood today. His fever is also a bit better today, and the rash is quite a lot worse, so I'm hoping it's passing through.

Thanks for the good wishes! Now I just have to worry about re-sleep training him when he is all better, since I don't think full-time cosleeping is for me. It's really crowded in my twin bed, he seems to want to take up the whole bed! Kind of funny such a small person can take up so much room.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics