Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Urine sample from 1 year old

geemum

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 6:04 am
I recently had to take a urine sample from my 1 year old DD, but in the UK they don't provide bag kits (apprently they do in the USA). So from my experience the best way is to tape a small bag to her nether regions using plenty of plasters (band-aids) so it's completely sealed.

I discovered this trick after trying unsuccesfully for hours to "catch" it.

Hope it's not TMI, but hopefully this will help someone in the future and save them the frustration.

gila-rina

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 11:55 am
interesting. I would try sitting her on the potty.

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 12:02 pm
between you and me, the bag kits that they give in the USA is traumatizing for the child. Basically it's a catheter. so what you did is so much better.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 12:11 pm
octopus wrote:
between you and me, the bag kits that they give in the USA is traumatizing for the child. Basically it's a catheter. so what you did is so much better.
What? From my experience (5 boys) there is a little bag with a "bris" shaped rigid sticky area attached. You slip the "bris" into the little plastic baggie, tape the rigid area to the pelvis and close the diaper over that. The child can barely feel it.

mamacita

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 5:23 pm
tamiri, boys would be much easier. We tried unsuccessfully many times to get a sample of dd. The dr gave us a bag with some adhesive around the top, without fail it would come loose and we'd have nothing to show for it ugh.

That and when the dr asked for a stool sample. The office opened at 7:30am and samples were sent by 9:30am. Samples needed to be fresh. How are we supposed to manage that? who can guarantee that?

geemum

Post Wed, Jun 02 2010, 5:27 pm
gila-rina wrote:
interesting. I would try sitting her on the potty.

We tried that...too much demand from the little girl.

Doctor today asked for another sample, so let's hope this trick is fool proof and will work again.

drumjj

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 1:56 pm
thanks gee bec I think I might have to do this for my daughter, but by the way some clinics do have the special bags that u can put over the hole.

geemum

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 6:21 pm
Just one word of caution, don't use good quality plasters/bandaid as they can stick TOO well and be painful to remove. My pharmacist recommended surgical tape as an alternative.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics