Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
URGENT can we mix baby cereal with formula on shabbos?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 11:52 am
URGENT can we mix baby cereal with formula on shabbos?

Fabulous

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 12:00 pm
why not? I always do. It's fully cooked you just have to add room temp water.

mamommommy

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 12:20 pm
If I remember correctly, I think you need to mix it with a shinui if you are making it thick. Mix it by making a criss cross instead of stirring it around.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 1:13 pm
mamommommy wrote:
If I remember correctly, I think you need to mix it with a shinui if you are making it thick. Mix it by making a criss cross instead of stirring it around.

why?

mamommommy

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 1:26 pm
Fabulous wrote:
mamommommy wrote:

why?

I could be wrong, but I think it's Losh.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Fri, Jun 04 2010, 2:13 pm
yes - for food - and for immediate use u can make it - mix it with the back of your spoon with a criss cross motion - back to the right, lift spoon out and then back to the left....

I think - liquid first and then the baby food flakes.

Rodent

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 12:53 am
Interesting that some do it. We hold that it is very much NOT allowed unless it is still very much liquid. If it's a paste of any description then no. It comes under the umbrella of kneading. If you didn't do it before Shabbat and NEED (and really need) it to feed the kid on Shabbat then you can make it if it's runnier than normal and in a different method, but certainly not something to rely on on a regular basis.

chatouli

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 7:32 pm
"Baby Cereal - Instant baby foods are pre-cooked with liquid to make a slurry. This mixture is then dehydrated and ground. From a cooking standpoint such a product may be used. However, it must be noted that where a mixture is thick enough so that it is not free-flowing, one must be concerned with lisha, the Torah prohibition against kneading dough on Shabbos. Thicker consistencies are also considered dough-like, therefore the mixture should be made to a loose consistency (blila raka) and the mixing must be done with a shinuy, in a manner that it is not ordinarily done. For example, if one ordinarily adds the powder and then the water, on Shabbos one should add the water and then the powder. Enough liquid should be added to make the mixture a blila raka12. The ingredients should then be mixed in an uncommon way. For example, with one's finger rather than a spoon or in a criss-cross motion rather than a circular motion, using the handle of a spoon."

from Star-K

Fabulous

Post Sat, Jun 05 2010, 7:35 pm
Thank you so much. I had no idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics