Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What to get membership in

Yakira

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 9:34 pm
I have a two year old and a one year old and am thinking of getting a yearly membership somewhere so I can go often with the kids and whatnot. Any ideas or experiences? I know the Brooklyn Children's Museum has a membership pact with other museums around the country so thats an option. Theres also the zoo/aquarium thing. Trying to figure out if its even worth it and what will get me the most for my money and that my children will enjoy the most.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 9:35 pm
A) Where do you live, or should we just assume the default of Brooklyn?
B) Take a look at the museums that are related. Most likely you're not going to visit the others, they're usually really far from the one near you.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 9:36 pm
Brooklyn Children's Museum has an amazing little toddler section just for kids under 5, including a nursing nook. It's definitely worth the membership, especially if you would go other places too. My kids really loved it.

I enjoy having a membership to Prospect Park Zoo too.

**By the way, in just a few short visits we got our money's worth out of the children's museum! It's great for really hot or cold or rainy days, if you have to get out of the house.

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 11:10 pm
Tehilla wrote:
Brooklyn Children's Museum has an amazing little toddler section just for kids under 5, including a nursing nook. It's definitely worth the membership, especially if you would go other places too. My kids really loved it.

I enjoy having a membership to Prospect Park Zoo too.

**By the way, in just a few short visits we got our money's worth out of the children's museum! It's great for really hot or cold or rainy days, if you have to get out of the house.

I'm in BP, what train goes there? I'm always looking for places to take my toddler.

louche

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 11:30 pm
A friend of mine bought a different membership every year: one year it was the zoos, one year the NatHist Museum, one year the children's museum and so on, and that was what they did virtually every Sunday all year. Many places have reciprocity with other institutions so they didn't go to just one zoo but were able to go to all of them. And because they could go to each attraction as often as they liked, they could make short trips and not feel that they had to stay there all day to get their money's worth. Kids cranky after 15 minutes? No problema, go home, bring them back next week.

mamommommy

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 11:36 pm
The zoo and aquarium are free for kids under 3, so membership might not be worth it.

Yakira

Post Wed, Jun 16 2010, 3:10 pm
Good point, mama. Tehila, we love the BCM and I think you pay for anyone over 1 in these types of places. I live in Far Rockaway but don't mind shlepping anywhere in Brooklyn, Manhattan or Queens if something is really worth it.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Jun 16 2010, 3:13 pm
bnm, I don't know about trains. I live really close to it and B"H have a car. Sorry. Check out their website, they probably have transit details.

GetReal

Post Wed, Jun 16 2010, 3:33 pm
You can look up the train info in mta.info, and go to Trip Planner. The Brooklyn Children's Museum is great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries