Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Freeze fresh basil leaves?

Burrrberry

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 11:06 am
Has anyone ever frozen fresh basil leaves? How did they turn out and is there a "proper" way to freeze them? TIA.

Burrrberry

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 6:18 pm
No one? What

crush

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 6:26 pm
okay, this is copied from a website. I'm not sure if it'll help you at all, cuz I don't know if you want to grind it up and add oil, but here goes:
I pinch off all the basil leaves, discard the stems, and wash the leaves very well in a salad spinner. Spin them as dry as you possibly can. If you don't have a salad spinner, just wash your basil leaves in the sink and dry them well with paper towels.
Put a few of handfuls of basil into the food processor, using the steel blade. The food processor bowl should be full, but not tightly packed.
I pulse the food processor with one hand and drizzle olive oil into the feed tube with the other hand, just pulsing until the basil is coarsely chopped. You should make sure that all the basil is coated with oil too, which keeps it from going dark in the freezer. I use about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil for each batch in the food processor when I'm making coarsely chopped basil like this to use for pasta sauce, soup, or stew during the winter. When I'm making basil puree to add to basil vinaigrette I use more oil and chop the basil much more finely.
I have two sizes of these little plastic containers with tight lids that I use to freeze the basil. It doesn't matter what size container you use, but a good trick is to measure the containers before you first use them. That way, when you pull one out of the freezer for a recipe, you'll know how much it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics