Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Baked Chicken Krupnik (Yapchick)

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 02 2010, 7:05 pm
Baked Chicken Krupnik (Yapchik)
Disclaimer: do not know if it's Hungarian or Sefardi, but it's delicious!

chicken, any kind, but thighs or eights are easier to handle
potato kugel recipe, or grind 4 potatoes, an onion, 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste.

The recipe in the cookbook said to prebake the chicken with some mustard on top, then add the kugel, but I don't think that would work well and I DO think the mustard would give the kugel a weird taste, so I put the chicken pieces in the pan and just cover it with the kugel.

I use a deep 9 by 13 inch pan, and it has to bake a long time, like 2 hours. Also, I don't add oil to the kugel as the chicken releases so much fat anyway.

Enjoy it !!!

jflower

Post Fri, Jul 02 2010, 7:49 pm
This sounds delish - I can't wait to try it.

How do you serve it? I imagine that it's difficult to cut neat-looking servings. Or do you just put this whole mixture in a bowl and let everyone scoop some out?

Thanx and have a good Shabbos.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 02 2010, 8:07 pm
I serve plated meals.

MiamiMommy

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:21 am
I'm going to try this recipe this week, it looks delicious. I think I'm going to make it in a clear Pyrex dish that comes with a serving handle and can be placed right on the table.

abound

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 8:10 am
I just saw this, do you grind or grate the potatoes? This sounds interesting. How does this look served?

jross214

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 12:22 pm
I have made this with a bit of a variation. This also works in the crockpot for overnight.

1. Make a regular potato kugel batter (or 1/2 of entire kugel recipe at a time). Pour half into pan or crockpot (or if you just halved the recipe - pour the entire batter in), let become a little bit firm on top so it doesn't have liquid-ish consistency.
2. In the meantime, sautee a chopped onion or two with cut up smallish cubes of meat (cholent meat, chicken, ground meat, etc - it doesn't matter what you use) with a good bit of seasoning as you like.
3. When the pan/crockpot of kugel is a bit firm on top - not thoroughly cooked at all, pour the meat mixture into the pan/crockpot in a layer on top of kugel.
4. Add the other half of potato kugel recipe (or 1/2 of an entire kugel recipe) on top of the meat layer from step 3.
5. Bake in over or put in crockpot until kugel is entirely done.

What you end up with is a layer of kugel, a layer of meat, and another layer of kugel.

I use this whenever I get tired of chulent by making it early friday morning and leaving it in the crockpot until shabbos afternoon. It tastes like a meat and potato overnight kugel

The taste is delicious and its a change of regular kugel/shabbos food.

miky72

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 1:27 pm
sounds delicious..
Are the chicken pieces boneless?

abound

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 1:42 pm
Thank you

EMmom

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 2:33 pm
I've made a variation of this before using chicken breast and the mustard, specifically dijon, which I felt really made it stand out. I actually did not make a full potato kugel - wanted it healthier-so I did not add egg and added a little minced garlic and it was it was delllicious

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 4:30 pm
you can grate or grind dep. on your food processor. and ftr I used thighs.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 9:19 pm
bump as per request
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey