Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Transferring seminary courses into college credits

AGINY

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 7:47 am
I am about to start my bachelor's and I was told there is a lady who transfers seminary courses into college accepted credits. My friend who told me about her used her years ago and doesn't remember any details other than her name is Gitty and she lives somewhere in Queens.

I know this wasn't very much information to go with, but if anyone knows who I am talking about I would really appreciate any contact information.

TIA

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 7:57 am
I don't know who you are referring to, but I do know someone else who writes up the credits. Is this what you need? Someone to write the essays for each class you took and want to transfer? If yes, I know someone really good who can do this for you.

Sherri

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 12:16 pm
Would you be able to pm with the name and info, de_goldy? I know a few people who could use this.
Actually, could you post the name here so I could hear from people who have used her?

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 12:25 pm
Um... doesn't the college you attend do it for you--as in look over your transcript?
I never heard of this concept before.

Sherri

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 12:38 pm
Some seminary credits aren't qualified college credits, so the transcript per se won't help.

A way to transfer them is for the student to wrote a portfolio that describes each seminary class with its qualifications and if the college finds the essays acceptable, they will grant credit for the classes.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 12:48 pm
Sherri wrote:
Some seminary credits aren't qualified college credits, so the transcript per se won't help.

A way to transfer them is for the student to wrote a portfolio that describes each seminary class with its qualifications and if the college finds the essays acceptable, they will grant credit for the classes.

How many credits are you talking about? It seems like it might be easier for you to just go to college and take the courses you need there.

Also--why does the frum world seem to think that doing college quickly is the best thing??
Whatever happened to taking it at a normal pace and maybe learning something or two along the way?

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 2:28 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
Sherri wrote:

How many credits are you talking about? It seems like it might be easier for you to just go to college and take the courses you need there.

Also--why does the frum world seem to think that doing college quickly is the best thing??
Whatever happened to taking it at a normal pace and maybe learning something or two along the way?

I know someone who recently did it and got 60 credits. That's half her bachelors degree - definitely worthwhile.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 2:29 pm
Sherri wrote:
Would you be able to pm with the name and info, de_goldy? I know a few people who could use this.
Actually, could you post the name here so I could hear from people who have used her?

I will pm you - not sure she would want her name posted in public.

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 6:25 pm
Okay--I'm asking questions here because this is a totally new concept to me.
With that preface, which colleges accept this?

AGINY

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 6:27 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Sherri wrote:

can you please PM me too?

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 6:39 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Sherri wrote:

Is this "illegal" as in paying someone else to get you through college?

Sherri

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 12:45 am
manhattanmom wrote:
de_goldy wrote:
Sherri wrote:

Is this "illegal" as in paying someone else to get you through college?
As someone else answered, for some people the credits can be up to 45 (that I have heard) so it definitely is worth it for them.

People do college quickly for a lot of reasons. (Many colleges give automatic credit for the seminary year, why shouldn't people want to get the credit for their own seminary year?)

I don't know which colleges accept this.

Until now I didn't realize that someone can write it up for you. I would think that the student should be writing up the portfolio herself. It is the equivalent of people getting "life credits"- where they can get credit for life experiences when written up to show that what they learned from their experiences is the equivalent of college credit. It is up to the college whether or not to accept the portfolio as legitimate college credit.

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 5:08 pm
A friend of mine can't go to college now for various reasons, but had a job offer that required some college credits, maybe 60, I don't remember exactly how many (and it didn't matter what those credits were in). She went to seminary so she potentially has 45 credits, is there any way for her to harness those credits, turn her seminary portfolio into credits?

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 5:09 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
A friend of mine can't go to college now for various reasons, but had a job offer that required some college credits, maybe 60, I don't remember exactly how many (and it didn't matter what those credits were in). She went to seminary so she potentially has 45 credits, is there any way for her to harness those credits, turn her seminary portfolio into credits?

Apparently, there might just be.
This whole concept is unbelievable to me.

GetReal

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 5:16 pm
Why is the concept so weird? This is not buying credits, this is credits for a year spent learning.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 5:22 pm
GetReal wrote:
Why is the concept so weird? This is not buying credits, this is credits for a year spent learning.

It's not really weird--
It's just a new concept to me.

I went to seminary, and then to college, and then to graduate school.
seminary in one year
college in 3 years
graduate school in 4 years.
And I'm only 24 years old.

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 9:28 am
There are ways to pater up college quickly and learn something at the same time.
Try CLEP exams or Excelsior college examinations.
You really have to learn the stuff, but you don't have to go to class

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 1:44 pm
CrunchyNotFlakey wrote:
There are ways to pater up college quickly and learn something at the same time.

Sometimes the best way to learn is through an interactive classroom discussion--either in person or in an online college when you're communicating and conversing with your classmates and professor.

Sherri

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 1:56 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
CrunchyNotFlakey wrote:

Sometimes the best way to learn is through an interactive classroom discussion--either in person or in an online college when you're communicating and conversing with your classmates and professor.
I don't think anyone will argue the fact that an interactive classroom wins over CLEPS or correspondence or on-line courses... People make a choice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics