Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Have you ever seen a celebrity in real life?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

mimivan

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 6:19 am
ewa-jo wrote:
mimivan wrote:
willow wrote:
I went to a frank sinatra concert (very cool)
I met the president of Israel 2001 (forgot the name)
and who is Dr. Ruth

Dr. Ruth Westheimer...a famous zex therapist who was on TV alot...her heyday was in the 70s and 80s.

Dr. Ruth was also a Shoah survivor, a zionist who came to Israel after the war and a sniper (really!) in the Haganah and for the IDF (after the Haganah was absorbed into the IDF)

http://doubletapper.blogspot.c......html

She's had a really interesting life... beyond appearing on talk shows talking about zex.

Oh, I didn't know that..
Given the subject matter, I remember that she was quite "clean" in the way she brought it across. I think that is why people liked her so much...by secular standards she was most of the time pretty modest.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 7:09 am
willow wrote:
and who is Dr. Ruth

Thanks for reminding me.
I went to a Frank Sinatra at Binyanei Hauma when he was here (maybe 30 years ago?).
That week we ate out at the then Hilton Hotel and he was there with his blond wife (one of the Marx brother's ex wife. I think her name was Barbara Marx). The security people didn't let me get near him.

The concert was awesome though! He was definitely Chairman of the Board!

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 7:10 am
I also met Dizzy Gillespie (the famous Jazz trumpet player) at a club in LA many moons ago.
He autographed the record (know what that is?) that I bought. LOL

mimivan

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 7:18 am
for you Israelis out there, I worked for the Israeli film festival and Meir Fenigstein (Poogie) was my boss.
I also had many conversations with Moshe Igvy in the office. He was running around the city and my job was to handle all of his cabs.

mimivan

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 7:18 am
ChossidMom wrote:
willow wrote:
and who is Dr. Ruth

Thanks for reminding me.
I went to a Frank Sinatra at Binyanei Hauma when he was here (maybe 30 years ago?).
That week we ate out at the then Hilton Hotel and he was there with his blond wife (one of the Marx brother's ex wife. I think her name was Barbara Marx). The security people didn't let me get near him.

The concert was awesome though! He was definitely Chairman of the Board!

now there is a celebrity who was pro Israel...

chmom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 8:15 am
My husband and I once saw the Dalai Lama at the Schiphol airport in Amsterdam

NativeMom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 9:17 am
mimivan wrote:
NativeMom wrote:
I forgot to mention that my cousin won 2 Oscars and directed a movie recently that premiered at the Sundance Festival Smile

I don't keep up with movies since I don't watch them anymore, but was this the Hurt Locker?

Nope, chances are you've never heard of it but its with Sarah Louise Parker and James Franco. It's called Howl.

mae1984

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 9:26 am
Opps, I forgot this one, I shared some college classes with Natalie Portman

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 9:57 am
mimivan wrote:
pink fridge
Quote:
Funny, Mel Brooks does NOT look like Rabbi Wein.

LOL..I don't know where someone said this (I said my mother mistook him for fellow Jewish comedian Alan King..and no they don't look alike either...but whatever)...but I could imagine writing a whole sketch of someone getting Mel Brooks confused with Rabbi Wein in an airport..and vice versa.

can you imagine someone saying to Rabbi Wein "I loved it when you were that Yiddish Speaking Indian chief in Blazing Saddles!"

can't imagine the look on his face..

LOL LOL LOL LOL

But don't you think there's a resemblance to Alan King?

Grandmama

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:53 am
Most of the time, meeting a famous celebrity would be meaningless, I hardly know any of the current ones.
Years ago we ate at Steven Spielberg's mother's restaurant in LA. We hoped he would stop by and say hello, but we missed him. It was fun though speaking to his mother. I still remember the denim decor, and the food was quite good too. He had only one hit at the time, so it was still easy to see him around.

We saw many film tapings on the streets in LA, and saw many stars up close. Who remembers?
Occasionally there are tapings in NY too. Sometimes they are right around my corner.
It is such a hassle. They take away a few blocks worth of parking, and who is interested in them, anyway?

Jewish famous stars are very easily seen at weddings, concerts, and the like. I see some of them in restaurants, regularly. I never allow my kids to bother them, I think it is very unfair, although I see other people doing it.

TehillaHadassah

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 9:36 am
Grandmama wrote:
Most of the time, meeting a famous celebrity would be meaningless, I hardly know any of the current ones.
Years ago we ate at Steven Spielberg's mother's restaurant in LA. We hoped he would stop by and say hello, but we missed him. It was fun though speaking to his mother. I still remember the denim decor, and the food was quite good too. He had only one hit at the time, so it was still easy to see him around.

We saw many film tapings on the streets in LA, and saw many stars up close. Who remembers?
Occasionally there are tapings in NY too. Sometimes they are right around my corner.
It is such a hassle. They take away a few blocks worth of parking, and who is interested in them, anyway?

Jewish famous stars are very easily seen at weddings, concerts, and the like. I see some of them in restaurants, regularly. I never allow my kids to bother them, I think it is very unfair, although I see other people doing it.

The restaurant was I think on,.... well I don't remember but it's in the Pico Robertson area, right? It's called the Milky Way? My daughter and I had lunch there and Steven Spielberg's mother came over and sat with us for awhile while we ate. She was going around to all her customers and doing the same thing. Nice lady. Wonder if she is still there?? I have not been home for over 20 years.

NativeMom

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 10:23 am
TehillaHadassah wrote:
Grandmama wrote:

The restaurant was I think on,.... well I don't remember but it's in the Pico Robertson area, right? It's called the Milky Way? My daughter and I had lunch there and Steven Spielberg's mother came over and sat with us for awhile while we ate. She was going around to all her customers and doing the same thing. Nice lady. Wonder if she is still there?? I have not been home for over 20 years.

Yeah it's the Milky Way. I never had the chance to check it out but my in-laws ate there and said she did the same thing, they said she was a riot and they really enjoyed themselves.

MissBoo

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 11:21 am
Well, I got the chance of a lifetime when my boss got hired to do the floral designs for pre-oscar's parties for the nominees in Hollywood. She took me with! After working like dogs setting everything up, we were sooo tired! But, when all the celebs came through the gifting party, I was so disappointed! I didn't recognize a one! I guess I'm way out of the loop. Now, if Matt Damon or Brad Pitt had walked in, then I would have been star struck LOL. I do have pics of me on the red carpet, though, before the celebs arrived. In all honesty, all the emphasis on looks etc felt so fake to me. I just wanted to get home already.

mimivan

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 11:28 am
Some of my best friends rabbis are being mistaken for Brad Pitt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpV5NkADPV0

p.s. alright, alright I admit, it's an old video..Brad Pitt finally shaved...under enormous public pressure

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 11:39 am
I went to college with Julia Stiles but I only saw her once, didn't have any classes with her.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 11:39 am
Another Angelino here...
* My dad used to work in the same office building as Danny DeVito's production company. You could always tell when he was in the building by the smell of cigar smoke.
* I remember them shooting some action movie near my high school (Bais Yaakov) -- the crew requested that the principal announce that we'd be hearing gunshots and explosions throughout the day and not to be alarmed. One girl came late that day, and when the rest of us ignored the first blast of gunfire during class, she JUMPED!!! Poor kid!
* When my mother was in labor with me and on her way up the elevator at the hospital, Goldie Hawn got in at one point. She rubbed my mother's belly and told her "You'll be okay, honey." Smile

chavamom

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:50 pm
farm wrote:
I saw Kurt Warner is Disney the day after he won the Superbowl. It was a drizzly day and the park was totally empty so I (and my family) got a nice closeup look, but we didn't want to bother him for autographs or pictures.

I saw him when his wife gave birth that year. Didn't ask for an autograph though. Heh.

DF79

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 8:05 pm
I met Jennifer Hudson and got a pic
Katy Perry
Robin Williams
Kelly BenSimon
Miss j Alexander
Russel Simons
Samantha and Charlotte Ronson
Keri Hilson
Jade Jagger
Elle Macpherson
Chace Crawford
Jessica Szor
Chris Rock
Lenny kravitz
Jamie Fox
Matt Lauer
Rihanna
Naomi Campbell
Phillip Block
Shanon Elizabeth
Dr Ruth
Calvin Klien
Jade Jagger
Damian Dash
the members of Epmd
nicky hilton

I have pics with many of them and seen many many more but the above list where more then just a sighting

mom#1!

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 8:50 pm
I'm sure I've seen them but just didn't know who they are. I live in the hollywood area. I know that we have celebrities around the corner from me and I know what they look like just not their names LOL

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 8:52 pm
DF79 wrote:
I met Jennifer Hudson and got a pic
Katy Perry
Robin Williams
Kelly BenSimon
Miss j Alexander
Russel Simons
Samantha and Charlotte Ronson
Keri Hilson
Jade Jagger
Elle Macpherson
Chace Crawford
Jessica Szor
Chris Rock
Lenny kravitz
Jamie Fox
Matt Lauer
Rihanna
Naomi Campbell
Phillip Block
Shanon Elizabeth
Dr Ruth
Calvin Klien
Jade Jagger
Damian Dash
the members of Epmd
nicky hilton

I have pics with many of them and seen many many more but the above list where more then just a sighting

Where do you hang out?

Does Lipa count?
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics