Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Have you ever seen a celebrity in real life?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

yo'ma

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 8:25 pm
The difference in seeing a jewish celebrity is that they run in our circles, so it's more likely you'll see them. Not my circles, but you know what I mean.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 8:27 pm
[quote="mimivan"]I ran into Jerry Seinfeld twice...he was standing behind me at a bagel place at the upper West Side...I think he was shifting around expecting me to say something like "You're Jerry Seinfeld!" (we were the only two customers in the store) But I just decided to turn around, look him over, turn back and look back at the bagels. He was kind of in my peripheral view...standing there...waiting...then before I left, I said "Bye Jerry."

A day later I saw him with Joe Namath and Chris Rock. I said something like "Hi guys, you're great!"

I ran into the British character actor Bob Hotchkins in the street in Brooklyn. I said "Hey, It's good to talk" as he walked by (that's from a British ad and I don't think he expected to see that in Brooklyn.)

I saw Bernadette Peters, Mary Tyler Moore and John Lithgow in the same restaurant. Unfortunately, I was with my very drunk aunt who kept saying in a loud voice, "Mary Tyler Moore looks just AWFUL!" and "John Lithgow is UGLY" (oops..I don't think so.)

I met former Vice President Dan Quayle and very subtly put him down. I think the remark went over his head.

I met a lot of famous writers, but I don't know if that counts, in grad school. Writers who came to visit and speak. We interviewed Allen Ginsburg when he personally took credit for the fall of Communism. I remember I fell asleep on the college lawn (I was kind of Bohemian in those days) in mid day and I woke up to see Arthur Miller standing there shaking his head disapprovingly as if to say, "Kids these days."

My BIL used to be a White House staffer, so I met Bill Clinton twice and Treasury Secretary Bob Rubin.

One of my friends in England was a rock band promoter and he was the ex-promoter of a very popular band called Supergrass...the singer Paul Weller was with them. A very depressive friend of mine was with us. Paul Weller sat next to her and she said, "You're Paul Weller aren't you. Well, what are you doing sitting next to me then." He said, "Oh, sorry about that." And moved (My Paul Weller fan roomate was furious when she heard that story LOL )

Once we were in the airport and saw Mel Brooks. My mother got him confused with Allen King and made an Allen King airport joke reference. Mel Brooks looked at her like "huh" embarrassed LOL

Funny, Mel Brooks does NOT look like Rabbi Wein.
And Green Acres? It's the place to be!

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 8:31 pm
my bro in law met jerry seinfeld and even got a pic with him!

chanahlady

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 9:12 pm
I saw Zsa Zsa Gabor as she was going to jail, Rod Stewart as he visited a hospital, and I sat next to Robin Wright Penn and Sean Penn's brother at a meeting. My DH met Mel Brooks and Joan Rivers and shook George W.'s hand when he was president.

Alef Bais

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 9:14 pm
I was once walking downtown in Montreal and Matt Damon passed me on the street. He was filming the Sum of All Fears there at the time. He was with a guy who might have been Ben Affleck and two girls.

I saw the Queen of England wave from her motorcade on Canada's Day some years ago in Ottawa when she was visiting.

Jennifer Anniston passed me on the street in Manhattan once.

Alef Bais

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 9:16 pm
Ooooh, I forgot to mention that I saw Bruce Willis when he was filming Copout in my neighborhood last summer. His stunt double was talking to me Smile

TehillaHadassah

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 10:11 pm
chanahlady wrote:
I saw Zsa Zsa Gabor as she was going to jail, Rod Stewart as he visited a hospital, and I sat next to Robin Wright Penn and Sean Penn's brother at a meeting. My DH met Mel Brooks and Joan Rivers and shook George W.'s hand when he was president.

That is neat that you saw Zsa Zsa, but I think I took enough sleeping medication and forgot to go to bed that I read " sat next to Robin Wright Penn and Sean Penn's brother at" Penn Station. Drunken Smile
Good night and a gutten erev Shabbos.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 11:19 pm
Alef Bais wrote:
Ooooh, I forgot to mention that I saw Bruce Willis when he was filming Copout in my neighborhood last summer. His stunt double was talking to me Smile

You're kidding. Dh saw him while filming that movie too.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 11:59 pm
I forgot to mention that my cousin won 2 Oscars and directed a movie recently that premiered at the Sundance Festival Smile

mimivan

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 12:01 am
pink fridge
Quote:
Funny, Mel Brooks does NOT look like Rabbi Wein.

LOL..I don't know where someone said this (I said my mother mistook him for fellow Jewish comedian Alan King..and no they don't look alike either...but whatever)...but I could imagine writing a whole sketch of someone getting Mel Brooks confused with Rabbi Wein in an airport..and vice versa.

can you imagine someone saying to Rabbi Wein "I loved it when you were that Yiddish Speaking Indian chief in Blazing Saddles!"

can't imagine the look on his face..

LOL LOL LOL LOL

mimivan

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:06 am
NativeMom wrote:
I forgot to mention that my cousin won 2 Oscars and directed a movie recently that premiered at the Sundance Festival Smile

I don't keep up with movies since I don't watch them anymore, but was this the Hurt Locker?

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:33 am
Forgot to mention that when I was in 12th grade I met Zubin Mehta.
I played saxophone in the Jerusalem Youth Band and when then President Jimmy Carter (yemach shmo) came to Israel (maybe 1977?) we gave a welcome concert right across the street from the Tachana Mercazit in Yerushalayim. Binyanei Hauma is across the street and Zubin Mehta came out during the break in his Philharmonic concert and conducted over us playing Stars and Stripes Forever (or something like that). Later on we went backstage to meet him and I shook his hand. That guy was electric. Never encountered such charisma! And what an oheiv yisrael!

Zus

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:42 am
Let's see who I met/saw that you may know.

I visited Leah Rabin z"l at her house.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 2:50 am
Zus wrote:

That's it? You didn't meet celebs through your dad (or uncle? lol)

willow

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 4:36 am
I went to a frank sinatra concert (very cool)
I met the president of Israel 2001 (forgot the name)
and who is Dr. Ruth

mimivan

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 5:03 am
willow wrote:
and who is Dr. Ruth

Dr. Ruth Westheimer...a famous zex therapist who was on TV alot...her heyday was in the 70s and 80s.

shosh

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 5:21 am
I am afraid I don't rub shoulders with the rich or the famous.

Thinking back though, when I was about fourteen, some friends and I went to the local tennis club (not Wimbledon, but not far from there), where some famous tennis champions, probably because it was just after Wimbledon and they were still around, were playing. It wasn't that expensive to get in, and my friends and I were making a lot of noise. Someone turned round and told us to shut up - and we realised it was Martina Navratilova, who was sitting a row or two ahead of us, so I guess I have the distinction of being told to shut up by one of the most famous women tennis players of all time! (And if I think about it, making a bit of a chillul Hashem as we were all Jews! embarrassed )

That's about the sum total of my hobnobbing with high society.

Also when I was about fourteen, we stood at the corner and waved at the Queen's cavalcade as it slowed down on her way home from the Epsom Derby (horse race to you ignorant Yanks out there!) I saw the Queen, Prince Phillip, Princess Anne and Mark Phillips, as far as I remember. (And I recall telling my dad that the Queen looks a lot more wrinkled than in her photos! And that was about 25 years ago!)

In more recent times, I was staying at Maon Tzvia in Jerusalem after the birth of my youngest child (now almost 7), and Adolf and I were sitting in the lobby when a whole bunch of security pple came rushing in. Rav Yisroel Meir Lau had come to see his newborn baby grandson. It was the night before the bris, and he brought a bunch of his other grandchildren to say Shema with the baby. It was the most beautiful sight - Rav Lau and his grandchildren standing around and saying Shema for this little newborn. Everybody watched, and I have to admit that I had tears in my eyes. I remember remarking, "Isn't that the best revenge he could have had against Hitler?" ....

Zus

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 5:26 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Zus wrote:

That's it? You didn't meet celebs through your dad (or uncle? lol)

I'm still thinking.

I met Achinoam Nini and Mira Awad
The whole Idan Raichel project
Robert Serry, UN person of the middle east, second to Ban Ki-Moon
Lots of dutch celebs that you won't know
I've seen Bibi in a restaurant

mae1984

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 5:58 am
Paul McCartney and Heather Mills when they were still together.
Sascha Baron-Cohen
Princess Diana
Liam Neeson
Jason Donovan (Don't know if he is still famous!)
The Gallagher brothers from Oasis

I worked with Sharansky and Moshe Ya'alon (Boogie). Both were lovely to work with, I accidently called Boogie on his extension thinking I was calling someone else and was quite confused when he picked up!

ewa-jo

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 6:09 am
mimivan wrote:
willow wrote:
and who is Dr. Ruth

Dr. Ruth Westheimer...a famous zex therapist who was on TV alot...her heyday was in the 70s and 80s.

Dr. Ruth was also a Shoah survivor, a zionist who came to Israel after the war and a sniper (really!) in the Haganah and for the IDF (after the Haganah was absorbed into the IDF)

http://doubletapper.blogspot.c......html

She's had a really interesting life... beyond appearing on talk shows talking about zex.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics