Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How do I dye my own sheitel? what is the risk?
1  2  Next

cb

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 9:29 am
I want to dye my own sheitel, anyone tried to do it yourself? (not sheitel machers) how did it go?
any recommendations?
I don't want to pay 75 for dye so want to do it myself.

chica

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 10:04 am
I've dyed my own sheitels before. I'm a little nuts Smile

That being said, here are the tips:

Depending on the length of your sheitel buy two boxes of hair coloring. My shoulder length one needed two. So judge accordingly. There is generally more hair on a sheitel than a human head so it needs more dye to cover it.

Dryer hair dyes more intensely than moisturized hair. So if your tips are dry, keep that in mind.

I have also found that you should leave the dye on for less time than the package says.

I wouldn't dye them too different of a color, you're not a professional.

It all depends on your sheitel and it's quality, type of hair etc. I know what worked for mine.

You have to be careful about splotchy color, make sure you get it everywhere.

Lastly, the product you might be using may not be professional color and might therefore fade faster. However, I've found that the sheitel that I dyed myself held the color longer than the one I had a sheitel macher dye for me. (But that being said, it could be a difference in the hair or anything else.)

HTH!

MamaBear

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 10:05 am
I used the box stuff twice. The first time was years ago on a shoulder length sheitel. I thought I got the application on evenly but the color didn't look even to me at the end. I just recently did it on a band fall and perhaps b/c of what happened last time, I did a better job. No lighter areas, all even color. The wigs had gone for a medium brown to an oxidized light reddish brown. A lot of the red still showed through but the wig is darker with less red than before. Worth the $8, imo. I wouldn't however color a sheitel if it was less than 2 yrs old. I'd be too nervous. The ones I did were on their way out. Smile

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 10:06 am
Hi OP,I love doing stuff myself and sheitels have been no exception .

I wear sheitels in the blonde range so for me is normally toning down the summer bleaching or eliminating brassiness .
For this I use natural instincts no brass blonde or in the case of one that had a slight ash tone to it I also used natural instincts in golden blonde.
For my friend who is a brunnette I put in a auburn natural instinct shade and it came out stunning Very Happy .

The reason I'm a big fan of natural instincts is that as semipermanent hair color its gentle on processed hair ,and any hair that is not attached to a scalp is extremely fragile and devoid of nurishment and at risk for damage (dryness,splitends ,frizz).
Plus If it comes out too dark it fades nicely so the commitment is less but if the hair is too fried it stays ,so make sure you love the shade you pick.

Second choice for more drastic jobs is preferance excellance loreal ,good pigment and staying power ,the les blondissimes line can bring a ligth brown to blonde in one step.
Feria has very good built in highlights too but I find the chem smell lingered ...

so those are my product pics , I'm not a sheitel macher but lived in the boonies and it was either I learn to do stuff myself or I look homely ...Not an option ,I like looking nice for me and DH. Wink

I would strongly recomend cutting a tiny piece and do a strand test and see how hair comes out just for your peace of mind ,B'h I HAVE HAD NO DISASTERS TO DATE and I'm headed to the store to get stuff to begin getting my shaitels ready for the upcoming yomin Tovim .

Hope I could be of some help Very Happy take care and have fun!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 10:46 am
No way would I do that myself. Too much at stake.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 10:48 am
I've done it myself and was happy with how it cam out.

The biggest risk I'd think is if you don't want to dye the middle part, but for me that was not an issue.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 11:09 am
CB, why not ask someoine reasonably priced like Zelda ? PM me if you need her info.

tovasara

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 1:10 pm
If you have a skin part, how do you manage not to dye it as well?

Strictlycurls

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 1:57 pm
Make sure you buy enough dye. Better too have too much than not enough.
Make sure to properly mix the dye.
Make sure you evenly apply it. Don't miss a spot.
Keeping the dye on for too long or too short may have different results. Keep an eye on it.
When you're applying the dye on the top/cap part of the sheitel, be very careful not to get too close to the skin color part, or else you'll have a darker and possibly splotchy cap afterwards.
Wear an apron and gloves! (and pull up your sleeves. Things can get messy!)

If you're doing this on your own, it's much simpler when you are dying your wig darker.

Make sure to start using shampoo and conditioners that are specially for dyed hair afterwards. They help keep the color from fading longer. (Look for the more professional brands.) You might also have to do a conditioning treatment on your wig after you dye it to re-add moisture to it so it won't be too dry.

cb

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 6:17 pm
thanks for all the tips

chocolate moose, zelda is not reasonable enough for me at this point, I think its about $75. that is allot if me and dh dont have jobs at the moment.

Earnest

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 7:33 pm
Re: The Mess. Try not to dye during the 7 clean days, and cover the surfaces and floor with newspaper or plastic. Re: You could use section the hair, wrap the hair in curlers and apply the dye to each bit of hair that's curled. (That's what I do. The shaytal machers don't usually go to the trouble and the dye doesn't last as long) Saturate each piece of hair generously and comb the dye through. Then, do the next piece of hair on a curler. I dye the hair from the bottom to the top. As long as you don't shmush the hair, but smooth it in the direction it's sewn in and treat it like fine lingerie, you'll be fine Very Happy . Are you comfortable handling your shaitals? Do you wash and set your own sheitals? I enjoy dyeing wigs. The dye also conditions the hair. When you condition the wig after dyeing, be skimpy on the top cause you don't want the hair to slip out of the knots on the cap and then shed. Don't be scared. You'll feel such a sense of accomplishment when you do it. PM me and we'll set up a time when I'll be home, so when you dye if you have questions or problems you could phone me and I will advise you.

cb

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 7:59 pm
I actualy never washed and set my sheitel but I decided that after I dye it, I can bring it for a wash and set to a sheitel macher, she only charger 25 for that.

do I wash it first with shampoo before I dye it?

Earnest

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:17 pm
While you do have to thorougly brush and comb out and de-tangle the hair, (I use a detangling spray before dyeing) technically, you don't have to shampoo it first [since the peroxide developer is a soap (solvent) ]...but...someone showed me the shaital she was asking about shock and boy-oh-boy,it was extremely moussed and sprayed and teased and...Well, for sure a wig should be washed before dyeing if it's gummed up with hair product. Wink But, the wig should be thoroughly dry before dyeing. Smile I only asked if you wash/set your wigs to find out if you're used to handling a wig. To be extra careful, you could pin the wig on a styrofoam cap (just pin the ear flap while avoiding puncturing the main cap itself), and then section the wig, comb the dye through, and rinse out the dye, all the while keeping the wig pinned to the styrofoam head. Just to be on the safe side and prevent rubbing the hair through the underside of the cap.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:37 pm
cb wrote:
zelda is not reasonable enough for me at this point, I think its about $75. that is allot if me and dh dont have jobs at the moment.

If I were you, I would wait. a new sheital costs too much to risk it.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:43 pm
You can use vaseline on the skin piece to prevent accidental staining (but don't think because you put vaseline on you can just color the skin piece too!)

cb

Post Mon, Aug 09 2010, 8:48 pm
its not new and not too expensive.

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 12:30 am
Chocoholic wrote:
You can use vaseline on the skin piece to prevent accidental staining (but don't think because you put vaseline on you can just color the skin piece too!)

This works ..I forgot to add this tip. Thank you chocoholic Very Happy

cb

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 9:06 am
thanks all for your tips
I did it last night. so far it looks goos, now I just have to get it set.

shirtsandskirts

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 6:56 pm
Bumping this up because I'm wondering how to make sure the scalp doesn't get dyed as well. Is it just the actual part that I have to worry about or is it the whole scalp?

cb

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 8:40 pm
I dont pay attention to that part cause the sheitel I dye myself is old and junky so I do not care. but I believe when I asked someone they told me the part part, you have to be careful with, but I am not sure.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels