Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Sacramento, CA

amother

Post Fri, Aug 13 2010, 1:58 pm
We are considering a job offer in the area, but have no clue about a thing!

How is the frum life over there?
Do they have a J. school? Is it frum? Until what grade?
What is the community like? Young? Open? Friendly?
What is life like there? More city or country style?
Any other relevant info is more than welcome!!!
THX!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 13 2010, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
We are considering a job offer in the area, but have no clue about a thing!

How is the frum life over there?
Do they have a J. school? Is it frum? Until what grade?
What is the community like? Young? Open? Friendly?
What is life like there? More city or country style?
Any other relevant info is more than welcome!!!
THX!

Try contacting the Palo Alto kollel (http://www.jsn.info). Palo Alto is about 2 hours away from Sacramento, but they might know who you can contact in the Sacramento area for more information.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Aug 13 2010, 2:22 pm
My grandparents lived in Sacramento, and they belonged to a strong Conservative/Reform temple. There was NO frum anything there when we'd visit, no one shomer Shabbos within walking distance of their house. I think there was a Chabad house in nearby Carmichael, and one kosher butcher, Bob's Butcher Block, but they've since closed. My aunt still lives there (doesn't strictly keep kosher) and buys kosher meat from Trader Joe's.
I don't know if anything has changed in the past 3 years, though. I haven't been there in a while.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 13 2010, 6:07 pm
http://www.kitcsacramento.org/

muss

Post Sat, Aug 14 2010, 7:37 am
I know that there are chabad shluchim there and they have a nice size group of people. So there are for sure many jews there but I'm not sure any more details. If you want you could contact the shluchim and find out details. They had to send their kids to some kind of school - so find out.

suzyq

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 11:49 am
If you PM me, I can give you contact information - a good friend of mine is the rebbetzin in Sacramento.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 3:14 pm
Are apts or houses the norm over there? and whats the going rate for rent?

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 5:31 pm
I was in Sacramento about 10 years ago for 2 weeks, on business.
I spent Shabbos with the Chabad Shluchim. Super duper special people.
That's all I know about frumkeit in Sacramento. I have very good memories from there!

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 12:49 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
Are apts or houses the norm over there? and whats the going rate for rent?

bump

Yalipops

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 7:49 pm
try contacting Torah Umesorah 212-227-1000. You can speak with Rabbi Segal or Rabbi David Merkin. They can give you a good sense of the community life there. Also, TU knows which schools there are what they are like.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 2:07 pm
im asking one more time- does anyone here know about housing in scramento?

roze22

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 3:26 pm
well since no one is responding, I can tell you the little I know. my brother went to university at Davis recently, but he is not religious... so what I know is from what I learned visiting him.

In sacramento itself apartments are the norm, but further out in Davis and the surrounding areas its mixed. in the city a 3 bedroom apartment/house would be about 1600 a month I guess, but in places like elk grove or davis it is closer to 1200. you can find places on all areas of the scale, since both houses and apartments come into play. craigslist is a good place to start

the lifestyle is pretty country, but its not a bad area if you can find your niche. davis is a major college crowd, sacramento is mostly political, but the surrounding area is mostly farm land. no big jewish community, but there is a chabad in davis, sacramento, roseville and stockton. there is a jewish school, but I have no idea on the religious level. I would contact one of them for more info. if I can answer any other questions you can try me...

Rebshosh

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 4:23 pm
I lived in Davis for years, and became frum through Chabad of Sacramento. I spent every Shabbos in Sacramento. I would say that houses are the norm there, especially if you want to live near the Chabad House. There is another shul there called KI, I think it is MO, but I never went there. There are some apartments in the area, but like I said, mostly houses. I have no idea what rent is like now. The frum community is very small, just a few families. Chabad has a minyan for Shabbos, but I'm not sure about during the week. The only Jewish school there is conservative, although there is a preschool at Chabad. I know the shluchim send their kids away pretty young to Los Angeles. Kosher food is not easy to get, local supermarkets have a small kosher section and when I was there last about three years ago the only kosher meat was frozen Meal Mart. I would say it is a very hard place to live if you are frum, but a nice enough city with some very nice frum people.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 11:57 am
Bump. This thread is from 2010. Anyone have any updated information on the Sacramento area?

tichellady

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 11:58 am
As far as I know, not much has changed. Small community

challahchallah

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 1:01 pm
Besides being small, do you know what type of people are mostly there? Is it cliquish or does the smallness mean that people socialize with everyone from different groups? Also, there's an eruv so it can't be all that tiny, no? (I'm not coming from NY so I'm not used to having huge amounts of infrastructure).

Hatemywig

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:56 pm
http://www.sacjewishlife.org/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating