Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shabbos Lunch Vegetarian Guest ideas please

geemum

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 5:21 pm
Any ideas please? (incl no eggs)

TIA

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 5:40 pm
Rice
Grilled vegetables
Vegetarian chulent
Lettuce salads
Pasta salad
Dips without mayonaise, such as hummus, tahina, caponata, ratatouille...
Potato borekas
Mushroom kibbe

IamI

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 6:00 pm
Tofu Schnitzel marinated in mustard for ex. then flour, eggs, corn flakes crumbs - fry or bake
cousous with veggies and chickpeas
parve quiches
potato salad

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 7:00 pm
this is a favorite in my house...
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com.....65436
I replace the vital wheat gluten with a precooked potato. They are soooo yummy!!! These are a little time consuming...you could make up the "dough" ahead of time and then cook them on friday before shabbos then keep them on the blech.
Actually here is my altered version...
Ingredients
Nuggets
1 can chickpeas (rinsed and peeled)
1 med all purpose potato (the starchier the better)
2 cloves of garlic (pressed or finely minced)
1/4 C water
1 tsp "chicken" consomme/bouillon
bread crumbs (enough to make the nuggets mold-able)
drizzle of olive oil
generous sprinkles of the following spices/herbs
thyme
sage
paprika
garlic salt
pepper
poultry seasoning
and any other spices you would like

Breading
1/2 C flour
1/2 C corn meal
1-2 tsp each
garlic salt
pepper
paprika
(add any other seasonings you like)

1/2 C milk ( I used rice milk)

Boil potato whole in skin till soft, drain and cool.
Remove chickpea skins.

Once potato is cooled remove skin and cut into smaller pieces. Put in food processor and blend till smooth. ( I did this with a little rice milk)Add chick peas and garlic and blend until a ball forms (this is a good consistency because it is starchy enough to form into nuggets)
Add olive oil, bouillon, and spices...mix well. Add water bit by bit until moist (you don't want it liquidy) then add bread crumbs. It should have a cookie dough consistency.

In a separate mixing bowl combine breading ingredients EXCEPT milk.
Put milk in another bowl.
Form bean mixture into small nuggets. Dip into milk then into breading. Coat completely.
Heat a frying pan with a some oil and lightly fry each side of the nugget until golden brown.

Enjoy with fries and various dips or sauces. Yum!

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 7:42 pm
Here is another good recipe...
Shepherds Pie
1/2 C lentils
6-8 white potatoes (and whatever you use to make mashed potatoes)
2 yams
1 box frozen mix veggies
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp thyme (or whatever spices you want)
s&p to taste
handful of shredded cheddar cheese (obviously omit this if serving with fleishig food)
2 tsps "beef" consomme
1 tsp "chicken" consomme
2 tbsp tomato puree
Worcestershire sauce (anchovy free version for vegetarians)
steak sauce
water
I boiled the white potatoes and yams...made the white potatoes into mashed and set the yams aside.
I cooked the lentils with Worcestershire sauce , steak sauce, "beef" & "chicken" consomme, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic, tomato puree, water...I let them cook for a long time. I start with 1 1/2 c water and add 1/2 c at a time as needed till thoroughly cooked adding the seasonings as I go.
then I boiled some frozen mixed veggies with some salt and pepper.
once everything was cooked I layered it in the baking dish.
smashed yams, lentils, mixed veggies, then mashed potatoes. I cooked it in the oven @ 400 degrees till it was heated through...20 mins-ish.
then I put it under the broiler to brown the potatoes, then added cheese and cooked back in the oven till it was melted.
it was so yummy!!

IamI

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 5:45 am
sorry just saw the part about no eggs, but the schnitzel you could def. do without eggs. just marinate then dip in flour and spices OR corn flakes crumbs and spices fry or spray and bake

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 5:58 am
Just a thought: don't worry about making anything special, maybe some extra side pareve dishes like beans&rice or something. I'm vegetarian and I actually don't like it when people make something special just for me. More often than not, it's something yucky like tofu or 'fake meat' that's supposed to taste like the real thing. For me, being vegetarian is a taste and health thing, so anything that tastes like meat is almost as yucky as if it were meat. A lot of that stuff is so processed, it doesn't even look like food.

Guests come for the company. It's nice to accommodate people, but unless they're staying with you for a week or something, it's probably not a big deal for them to eat salads, challah and potato kugel and be happy.

DH intentionally does not tell people I'm vegetarian when we are invited out.

geemum

Post Mon, Aug 16 2010, 7:25 am
ewa-jo wrote:
Just a thought: don't worry about making anything special, maybe some extra side pareve dishes like beans&rice or something. I'm vegetarian and I actually don't like it when people make something special just for me. More often than not, it's something yucky like tofu or 'fake meat' that's supposed to taste like the real thing. For me, being vegetarian is a taste and health thing, so anything that tastes like meat is almost as yucky as if it were meat. A lot of that stuff is so processed, it doesn't even look like food.

Guests come for the company. It's nice to accommodate people, but unless they're staying with you for a week or something, it's probably not a big deal for them to eat salads, challah and potato kugel and be happy.

DH intentionally does not tell people I'm vegetarian when we are invited out.

Hi thanks so much for your post. That's the type of vegetarian our guest is. She also hates the tofu and fake meat.

I usually serve a very traditional ashkenazi/chassidic meal : egg and chopped liver, then main course is cholent, potato kugel, lokshen kugel and shnitzel and cold cuts. I plan to make 2 salads - 1 lettuce based, the other pasta or rice based.
Do you think that's enough, or should I make something for her for first course (maybe cut up fruit?) so that she's not starving until we start main course?

thanks for your help
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus