Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Dh wants me to throw out all of my ice cream!!
1  2  3  Next

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 9:26 pm
So, I tried to get ahead this year by starting my Y"T cooking. So, I made 3 separate recipes of AMAZING ice cream. New flavors, toppings, etc.

But now, there's this major salmonella scare. I don't want anyone to get sick, and ds already licked A LOT of the ice cream from the bowl, spatula, etc. while I was making it.

WWYD?

MrsMom

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 9:28 pm
check your brand of eggs? they're not all affected.

prettyone

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 9:29 pm
I heard salmonella is only on the shells. its prob ok

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 9:37 pm
You can find a list of the brands that come from the affected plant. If the eggs were from one of those brands, I'd throw it out. Otherwise, no reason to believe that eggs from other sources happen to be affected now (more than the usual salmonella risk).

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 9:44 pm
I checked the list in the paper, but daily, more eggs are affected.

risa

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 10:22 pm
Well, I guess it's "lucky" that your son tasted the ice-cream. If he doesn't get sick,then there's nothing to worry about. If CH"V, he has some sort of reaction, you'll know that the ice-cream is bad. Problem solved.

Shopmiami49

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 11:30 pm
Is this just in the US or Israel as well? I heard somewhere that the egss in Israel don't run the same risk...

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Aug 21 2010, 11:35 pm
Does the extreme cold of the freezer not kill the salmonella?

dilego

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 12:07 am
I can imagine u could have it checked at a laboratory,I don't know what I would do.we had salmonella visit us all but I still make my own ice creAm.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:38 am
warn any guests. pregnant women, elderly people and kids might want to avoid it.

myself

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:48 am
Your ice cream recipes sound delicious. Any chance you can post them?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 4:26 am
Id say its simpler than all that. Assuming you got your eggs at the local grocery store, watch the news to find out if the outbreak has hit your area. if no other cases have been reported in your area, the chances of your eggs being effected is mighty slim. OTOH, if there is an outbreak, more research may be warranted.

ysydmom

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 4:35 am
I always go with better safe than sorry!

It's not worth it to worry yes you worked hard, I cook alot and bake alot and if something doesn't taste good or look good when finished or goes bad I hate throwing it out. but sometimes it's better than getting sick c"v.

Throw it out and make a different dessert, cake, muffins, brownies etc.

Inspired

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 4:36 am
Raisin wrote:
warn any guests. pregnant women, elderly people and kids might want to avoid it.

Yes, please! Add to that list those with immune system issues and stomach problems. Bikitzur, warn everyone. I don't think you want to hear what I would do.... I do not serve raw eggs ever.

8mom

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 4:57 am
Salmonella can affect an unborn child without the mother having any symptoms at all.

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 5:29 am
Inspired wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Yes, please! Add to that list those with immune system issues and stomach problems. Bikitzur, warn everyone. I don't think you want to hear what I would do.... I do not serve raw eggs ever.

I have to agree, raw eggs are asking for trouble and you never know if a guest has immune system issue that you don't know about.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:46 pm
I never use raw eggs nor does my mother and it really irks me if I start eating at someones house and suddenly they are like hey that has raw eggs!
warn everyone or in general dont use them!

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:51 pm
Liba wrote:
Inspired wrote:
Raisin wrote:

I have to agree, raw eggs are asking for trouble and you never know if a guest has immune system issue that you don't know about.

I got sick from ice cream containing raw eggs as a strapping teenager and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I never make anything containing raw eggs. On pesach I found a homemade mayo recipe that started with heating the eggs. if I did use them for some reason I would warn all my guests.

but I don't think the op needs to throw it out, she can eat it herself if she doesn't mind the risk.

No cakes

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 4:21 pm
As a girl I made some delicious ice cream (parve) and it went like crazy.. if any1 is looking 4 a good recipe 4 yom tov or wtva can pm me ill b glad 2 assist u..
As a Kallah I my mil made me party fri afternoon w the whole family over so I decided I want 2 make her something good like a desert type of thing so my aunt gave me a ice cream which is really parve but instead I used kliens milichiga vanilla ice cream and put in like a straberry mix 2 make it straberry flavor and used vanilla for vanilla flavor. untill 2day every1 askes me how I made this good milichiga ice cream??? Tongue Out

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 5:33 pm
if your son didnt get sick then your BH ok. Salmonnella affects right away! and usually when the eggs are out too long in the heat ( the freezer wont solve anything later).

my aunt had this story in Isreal a few years ago where they made peasach homeade Ice cream with eggs that were too long outside (not refrigerated) 11 ppl were hospitalized 12-24hrs after they ate the frozen ice cream! IT IS NO JOKE!

however if nothing happened when it was raw as you said your ds liked batter youre fine it wont turn worse once its in the freezer LOL not will it get better if it wasnt good! LOL

Hope you enjoy your Ice cream It seems to be delicious! HOMEADE ICE CREAM! YUMMY!!!!!!!
You Should have a Hearty, HEALTHY and Sweet New Year!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics