Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Spinoff of: Is cleaning help a luxury?
1  2  3  4  Next

YALT

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:49 pm
What I'd like to understand is how does everyone else manage to go on vacation?

And don't tell me "I spend my money on cleaning help and that's why I can't afford it"

I know so many people who cry poverty. Get all the help from community organizations, gov't benefits, and they don't have proper jobs because of.....
Yet they are able to go on a 5-day vacation (minimum!)
Where do they get the funds for this? Even when I don't have help, I can't afford this. I also know that certains in this category buy brang new clothing only - true, from childrens place, old navy,... but $25 for a dress is a "metzia" where by me I've never spent more than $8 total for a weekday outfit at that age. So where am I going wrong?

Is a vacation a luxury or a neccessity o be able to go on in life?

If it's a luxury, how are they able to collect every benefit and then go on vacation?
If it's a neccessity? How can I manage to get that neccessity taken care of in my life?

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:51 pm
I have never been on vacation. I also don't have cleaning help.

gold21

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:53 pm
Yeah we cant afford a vacation either. We did splurge a few times in the past couple of years, and went on 2 day/1 night vacays. But right now we cant afford it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:54 pm
in short I believe that for some a vacation is a make or break thing for their emotional well being, but then again, a vacation can be taking a day or two off and going to the beach. it does not have to mean taking two weeks off and spending a lot of money.

actually this came up in conversation with my husband today. he mentioned that he needs to take two days off next week or he will crack from the pressures of work. so he thought of taking one of those days and going to the beach. nothing expensive at all except the price of petrol to the beach, yet it is a vacation all the same.

suomynona

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:57 pm
We must belong to different circles. Almost nobody I know goes on the vacations you describe and the ones that do don't cry poverty.

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:58 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
in short I believe that for some a vacation is a make or break thing for their emotional well being, but then again, a vacation can be taking a day or two off and going to the beach. it does not have to mean taking two weeks off and spending a lot of money.

actually this came up in conversation with my husband today. he mentioned that he needs to take two days off next week or he will crack from the pressures of work. so he thought of taking one of those days and going to the beach. nothing expensive at all except the price of petrol to the beach, yet it is a vacation all the same.

A tiyul to the beach is a vacation? Maybe then I have been on vacation... I didn't think that that was what YALt was asking about. What if you live next door to the beach? Life is a permanent vacation?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:02 pm
Inspired wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:

A tiyul to the beach is a vacation? Maybe then I have been on vacation... I didn't think that that was what YALt was asking about. What if you live next door to the beach? Life is a permanent vacation?
my point was that if you DO feel that a vacation is something that is needed in life, you alter what you feel is a vacation to something that you can afford, thats all I meant.

Liba

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:03 pm
We don't have money for vacations.

We have done day trips to the beach when relatives have come to visit, but all that cost was bus fare, and recently we made a huge day trip up north when my mother and mother in law were here. They helped pay for it or it never would have happened.

We do have cleaning help though, and it isn't a luxury. Wink

YALT

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:12 pm
I don't mean a day trip to the beach. (which even that is quite an expense when you don't want to take your kids to see all the entertainment found on beaches here - as we need to rent a car.)

I mean renting a car, or flying & taxis, staying in hotels, or in a rented home (while still paying rent on your regular apt) and going to some amusement park or safari or Niagara or whatever.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:16 pm
I haven't been on vacation in over 12 years, not even a day trip lol.

I have cleaning help off/on depending on the ability to afford it or when something like a difficult time in pregnancy necessitates it. Meaning, I might not have it for two years, then I might have it for a year or so.

We sold our car. Expenses too much even with the car paid for. Our cell phones are prepay. Our biggest expense by far is rent, which eats up a crazy amount of our budget.

We try to be very careful and when we do need to make new purchases examine which is better, whether more expensive/lasting to less expensive/for the time being.

Inspired

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:18 pm
YALT wrote:

I mean renting a car, or flying & taxis, staying in hotels, or in a rented home (while still paying rent on your regular apt) and going to some amusement park or safari or Niagara or whatever.

Yep. Never, ever done anything like that.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:19 pm
We vacation. We budget for it and forgo other luxuries to be able to do so.

Vacations are not neccesities.

YALT

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:44 pm
well, duh! obviously, those who haven't gone on vacations will be the ones who answer.
All those who do match my description will be "watching" this topic, but not say anything.
So I guess the answer is - it's a luxury. and everyone has a right to have some luxury in life.
But then again, we are so to speak paying for their vacations, since they are the ones taking gov't benefits while we work away, pay taxes and have trouble paying our rent and tuition.
So I guess now it's come full circle back to that thread I remember seeing about why middle class people work harder than lower class, but it's the lower class who live the life of luxury.

small bean

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:45 pm
I think a vacation is a luxury.

we go on vacation, but I save up all year for it and I don't do the most amazing things... actually this year we are goint to israel for succos - which is costing alot but I saved up 4.5 years for this....

many ppl who cry poverty and do this - go into debt or aren't really as poor as they make it out.

but vacation is definitely a luxury.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:52 pm
YALT wrote:
What I'd like to understand is how does everyone else manage to go on vacation?

And don't tell me "I spend my money on cleaning help and that's why I can't afford it"

I know so many people who cry poverty. Get all the help from community organizations, gov't benefits, and they don't have proper jobs because of.....
Yet they are able to go on a 5-day vacation (minimum!)
Where do they get the funds for this? Even when I don't have help, I can't afford this. I also know that certains in this category buy brang new clothing only - true, from childrens place, old navy,... but $25 for a dress is a "metzia" where by me I've never spent more than $8 total for a weekday outfit at that age. So where am I going wrong?

Is a vacation a luxury or a neccessity o be able to go on in life?

If it's a luxury, how are they able to collect every benefit and then go on vacation?
If it's a neccessity? How can I manage to get that neccessity taken care of in my life?

The BEST and HEALTHIEST thing is to not think about other people's pockets. Dopn't compare yourselves to others, and don't think about what they have or don't have. You do what you need to do.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 3:55 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
The BEST and HEALTHIEST thing is to not think about other people's pockets. Dopn't compare yourselves to others, and don't think about what they have or don't have. You do what you need to do.

Yup, excellent advice.

YALT

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 6:29 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

Yes, I agree. But I guess I'm just very flustered right now. Too many ppl seem to be smearing it in my face. And they ask what I did for "vacation" andI tell them I stayed at home trying to find a new job and new home, and they just look at me like "I meant what about going out to a hotel, maybe even just u and DH,..." and they're shocked to hear that I have never ever been to a hotel with DH.
And it's not that we don't care about it. We dream of the day we can go on a vacation,. But we know that moving is more of a neccessity.

BoomChickaPop

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 8:05 pm
If your friends are smearing it in your face, maybe it's time to make some new friends. I have gone on vacations at a time when I did not have any cleaning help, I considered vacations to be a higher priority, I consider them both "extras" that a person can manage without. I agree with CM's advice not to look at others, but it is easier said than done, right Wink

mricci

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 9:18 pm
I love to travel, but I realize that it is a luxury. we would not be able to take so many trips were it not for DH's job. he travels for work frequently (to various locations domestically and abroad)...so when he has to go for a few weeks to, say, California, we might come with him for at least part of the trip. his company pays for our hotel, reimburses him for meals, and gets him a car. they pay for his airfare too, so all that's left is our tickets...but of course, DH is at work or at conferences all day when we're there..

Grandmama

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 9:23 pm
Inspired wrote:
I have never been on vacation. I also don't have cleaning help.

Why?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains