Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Baking jachnun in the oven

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 11:42 am
How do you bake jachnun in the oven? Temp? Do you cover it? Oil? Margarine?

Please give me directions. When I googled how to bake jachnun, I got recipes to make jachnun dough. Rolling Eyes

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 12:20 pm
I believe it's baked on 200 for like 12 hours, in a greased oven safe pot, top covered with parchment, and that covered with pot cover.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 12:46 pm
ive heard you put eggs (still in the shell) inside, so that they slowly become hard boiled

mashcsch

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 1:22 pm
I don't know how to bake it but I put it in my chulent and dh looooves it.

yummydd

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 3:07 pm
On the box it says to bake like 12 hours Rolling Eyes not sure its worth it..... I would love to try it in the chulent, I remmeber there was a thread about it once, does it go in a paper or just direct in the chulent?

mashcsch

Post Thu, Aug 26 2010, 3:16 pm
I put it directly in the chulent. This way it absorbs the yummy flavors of the chulent. My friend puts it in parchment paper but dh doesn't like that way as much. Although when it's in paper it retains its shape better and slices prettier. Not worth it in my opinion. I mean food's gotta taste better than it looks unless you're a caterer. LOL

shaini

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 4:20 am
I've also put it straight into a cholent. As mashcsch says it absorbs the flavour of what you put it in, so if your cholent is not really flavoursome don't bother but I think I used to take it out from the cholent at lunchtime and keep it warm to eat later in the day in winter. It's really just an added starch in cholent.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 12:03 pm
Meh. I placed it in the cholent and it just puffed up and was 'doughy' even though it cooked for hours and hours. I'll try baking it in the oven, but I still didn't get clear instructions as to how to do it (from someone that does it).

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 1:07 pm
Double wrap in foil, bake at low temp (like 100-120C) overnight to be served for lunch. No need to grease--the dough contains enough oil. To be honest, I usually have better luck with "pre-browned" Israeli ones (the microwavable one that comes in yellow/blue box).

cbash

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 2:48 pm
I usually wrap some matza or stale bread in foil and place in sauce pan or any pot (depending how much jachnun you're making) - you do this to prevent it from burning - and place the jachnun on the foil and cover it and cook on 350 for around an hour or overnight on around 200. It's delicious and I even altered my recipe to make it much healthier and it's still really good! I don't put any margarine on it, just a little olive oil when I'm rolling it out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes