Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Need ideas what to make Shabbos day.

Mommish

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:35 pm
My husband and I get really tired of eating cholent all the time, so I try to come up with alternatives. Sometimes I make a black bean chili-cholent or I make a type of syrian soup with meatballs and veggies or we just have cold schnitzel. Does anyone have some good ideas for other cholent alternatives? Thanks!

proudmom

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:37 pm
meat, potatoes carrots (any veggy you want to add) with some tomatoe sauce and spices.

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:48 pm
you can try different kinds of chulent: pareve, with or without barley, with or without beans, etc.

but I know what you mean

at one point, I couldn't take it anymore either, but we still needed to have something hot

for a while, I tried leaving kugel overnight on the blech

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:58 pm
Quote:
for a while, I tried leaving kugel overnight on the blech

Doesn't it dry out though Confused

proudmom

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 4:03 pm
you dont need to leave kugel on the blech overnight. you can put it in the fridge and in the morning you can put it near the blech but not on it.

SK

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 5:21 pm
Try layering onions and sliced sweet potato, cover with 1 or 2 cups of (brown) rice. Put a few pieces of chicken on top and cover with ketchup and water. I do it in my crockpot.

myomi

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 5:57 pm
why don't u try dafina?I have an excellent recipe,pm me if u want it,everything is cooked indivdually and it is absolutely DELICIOUS!I used to be a cholent maker but I too got bored of it.my husband a true ashkenaz adores his shabbat dafina!

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 6:02 pm
we don't like cholent, so me make soup out of

potatoes, onions & turkey bones -
delish!!!

(spice to taste)

Sunshine

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 6:07 pm
What is dafina? Can you please post the recipe so everyone can benifit from it?

myomi

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 12:07 pm
dafina is a morrocan cholent,all the different foods are cooked seperately..not altogether like cholent.
first put 1 cut of chick peas in a measuring cup of water to soak for about an hr at least.

after they have soaked put them on the bottom of a heavy pot.
add some flanken on top of the chick peas
put in 2 onions(whole with jsut the skin removed) and a bunch of cloves of garlic.
put about 5 large potatoes cut in 1/2
1-2 eggs(raw in shell)
2 pitted prunes(to add some sweetness)
salt and pepper(about 1 tsp salt.1/2 tsp pepper)
heres the tricky part,,,depeding on your oven add water(I have a new stove with tehe flat tops and digital reading I put 4-6 cups of water and put the oven at 235)
next: in a seerate put(small) put 1 cup wheat kernels(available next to the barley and lentils),1/4 c. oil,1 tbsp chicken soup powder,some pepper,paprika,cayenne,I small onion(once again whole),4-5 cloves garlic(leave whole)mis well and add 2 cups boiling water abd cover tightly. also put this on oven.
same this for rice..but dont use onion garlic and cayenne.
put in oven
I do this about 2:00 and it is ready for lunch shabbat the next day.peel eggs arrange nicely on a platter with meat and potatoes.
bring out the wheat and rice,transfer chick peas and sauce to a dish,
delicious!!!!!!!!

myomi

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 3:18 pm
I forgot to mention to mention to add 2 or 3 marrow bones,,they add delicious flavor,and are very nutricious.

lucy

Post Mon, Feb 21 2005, 9:40 pm
here is another sepharadic chulent - oreissa

It's more of a soup, very yummy and nutritious

Take either meat bones or stewing beef boil in water for @ 10-15 min, skim away fat.
Then depending on how you like soak chickpeas over night.

Add to crockpot, soup with bones or meat peeled potatoes (I like to add 2-3 sweet potatoe), chickpeas(drain water and rince off - removes the gas), a few raw eggs, & 2-3 prunes. Salt to taste fill with more water (crockpot should be filled to brim.
Very good

Tila

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 3:44 pm
We have cholent with alot of different salads. Recntly I got recipe for pareve quiches. Before you leave for shul, place a tin pie plate on the blech upside down and place the quiche on it!

Mommish

Post Tue, Feb 22 2005, 3:44 pm
Thanks for the recipes. I think I'll start trying them. Smile I thought I'd also post the chili-cholent recipe in case anyone want to try it.

Sautee 1 diced onion and 1 chopped clove garlic with a little sprinkle of cumin. Put flanken, 1 can black beans, 1 16 oz. can tomatos (chopped up) & 1 cup rice (basmati comes out really good, but any rice will work) in crock pot. Add the onions & garlic. Add spices: 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, a little salt, 1 Tbsp. chili powder. Cover with water (probably about 4 cups). Cook on high for an hour or 2, then lower before shabbat.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, May 31 2005, 6:06 pm
SK & Lucy, I tried both your cholent-alternatives and my husband really liked them!!
SK, do you add any spices? (I added some)
Lucy's recipe, I didn't cook the meat separately, though. Just stuck it on top. There's a similar recipe in the Spice and Spirit.
thanks! My husband enjoys these changes!

leahj

Post Wed, Jun 01 2005, 12:42 pm
I usually don't make cholent, it always goes to waste. I make different soups each week and leave in the crockpot. Some favorites

Onion Soup- Spice and Spirit recipe for French onion - make without the Cheese, Squash Soup, cabbage/vegetable soup, split pea, mushroom and barley, chicken, any vegetables I have on hand.

It really helps to get an immulsion blender - you put the blade right into your pot to blend soup it - it costs about $10.

smile

Post Wed, Jun 01 2005, 3:59 pm
We also stopped eating tshulent. Now I make salad and Shnitzel and Kigel. But I still have not found a way to keep it warm.

lucy

Post Wed, Jun 01 2005, 9:10 pm
Well here is another soup idea for you (It's really a spanish sepharadik chulent) Meat bones, potatoe (both sweet and regular) chickpeas (I soak them the night before) little salt/pepper, meat - flanken or stewing beef, eggs, 1-2 prunes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus