Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Rabbi sentences man to lashes
1  2  Next

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 8:07 am
http://www.vosizneias.com/6305.....video

Jerusalem - A singer who performed in front of a “mixed audience” of men and women was lashed 39 times to make him “repent,” after a ruling by a self-described rabbinic court on Wednesday.
Rabbi Amnon Yitzhak, founder of the Shofar organization aimed at bringing Jews “back to religion” (hazara betshuva), has made it his recent mission to fight against musical performances for both men and women.
His “judicial panel,” with Rabbi Ben Zion Mutsafi and another member, sentenced Erez Yechiel to 39 lashes in order to “rid him of his sins.”
In a video clip of the court posted on the Shofar Web site, Ben Zion said that those who make others sin (mahtiei rabim), such as artists who make men and women attend performances or dance together, have no place in the world to come.

He displayed a leather strip he said was made by his father from *** and bull skin, with which Yechiel was to have been whipped.
Yechiel, who said, “I accept upon myself the lashing for my sins,” was ordered to stand by a wooden poll with his head facing north (“from whence the evil inclination comes”), his hands tied with a azure-colored rope (“a symbol of mercy”), and served his “sentence.”

c.c.cookie

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 8:10 am
Crazy! Even if they believe that's his just punishment, you need a real bais din to carry it out. You can't have any clown get up with a whip and start handing out lashes. I think he's gone too far...

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 8:33 am
    1.voluntary
    2.and apparently if you go to their site and read it the info there, it was symbolic.
    3.customary in some communities (again symbolic) right before YK

Read the JPost article and the comments on the same subject.JPOST

The person was not injured or harm and wanted to do this. I want to the site. Found the article. Did a google translate/ Found the video. Watched till the end. Basically he TAPPED him with the whip.

You'd be more likely to get injured in a pillow fight.

Don't believe...Go watch yourself.
The Lashes...

shalhevet

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 8:42 am
Rav BZ Mutzafi is a great tzaddik and talmid chacham. It obviously sounds like the singer wanted kappara in this world and he chose to go to the beis din.

Yes, it is a minhag in many kehillos for everyone to get symbolic lashes as kappara for any aveiros they may have done that were punishable by lashes.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 8:46 am
They were also very light taps with the strap. The person who wielded the whip tapped it lightly, from maybe a 1/2in from the skin.

I mean it was interesting to watch, took less than a minute.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 8:47 am
The problem that I have is the assumption that a male singer singing in front of a 'mixed audience' is an Averah punishable by lashes.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 8:53 am
I don't find mixed crowds assur either, but I guess he does.
Nu, much ado about nothing. Is this guy going to stop singing?

chica

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 3:29 pm
I like the cell phone going off in the background. Smile

It seems pretty clear that he did this voluntarily - he asked for it.
And watching the video, it wasn't very hard at all.
I feel like this is blown out of proportions.
The men do this in our community pre YK. DH says it's no big deal.

chavamom

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 5:21 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
The problem that I have is the assumption that a male singer singing in front of a 'mixed audience' is an Averah punishable by lashes.

Right.

That being said, my husband says this is a stunt, not real "malkos".

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 6:24 pm
They are progressing very quickly with their sharia.. oops, Torah True Judaism!

sequoia

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 6:40 pm
This is not a sentence. The dude came to them and said he wants kappara, so they said, okay, here's what we can do. It is symbolic. It is neither painful nor any sort of legally enforceable sentence. It's just something he felt like doing before yom kippur. Of course there is a sado-masochistic element. That doesn't mean this is the new jurisprudence of rabbinical courts.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 1:37 pm
It's Teimanim in this case; I am not sure if it's relevant. According to what I read in the Shabbat pamphlets, he wanted to do kappara for havinb sung in front of mixed audiences, which he no longer does. This ties in with the Tzion Golan fiasco at Heichal HaTarbut in Petach Tikva. Tzion Golan, as I read, will also no longer perform in front of mixed audiences.

Yocheved84

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 11:00 pm
chica wrote:

Sorry to veer off-topic, but your husband and the men in your circle get hit and are ok with it? I'm not passing judgement; I'm just curious..

HindaRochel

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 11:30 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
chica wrote:

Sorry to veer off-topic, but your husband and the men in your circle get hit and are ok with it? I'm not passing judgement; I'm just curious..

He isn't really being hit...at least hard. More like tapped gently.

It is cultural, not mine, and no one is hurt so I don't get the derision or the upset or the rest of the comments.

It is similar to the chicken over the head, also not our minhag.

It is a symbolic gesture.

This isn't S&M.

Yocheved84

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 11:38 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Yocheved84 wrote:
chica wrote:

He isn't really being hit...at least hard. More like tapped gently.

It is cultural, not mine, and no one is hurt so I don't get the derision or the upset or the rest of the comments.

It is similar to the chicken over the head, also not our minhag.

It is a symbolic gesture.

This isn't S&M.

Thank you for clarifying that. When I hear lashing, I think of horrific pain, so thank you for explaining.

Maybe we need to look back at the time these rituals started. At that time, it was commonplace for men to go to the baths together, etc., so the activities other posters describe isn't a far stretch...

Chocoholic

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 11:42 pm
And no one thinks that hashem may think its more of a joke because they do it softly and therefore mocking it?

HindaRochel

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 11:43 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
And no one thinks that hashem may think its more of a joke because they do it softly and therefore mocking it?

Why? If he has truly done tseuvah pain isn't required. It is just like bringing a korban or doing the chicken over the head. It has meaning only if he has done the prerequisite work.

Raizle

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 12:01 am
YESHASettler wrote:

isn't Rabbi A Y the same guy that says that condemns all us sheitle wearers?

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 12:07 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Why? If he has truly done tseuvah pain isn't required. It is just like bringing a korban or doing the chicken over the head. It has meaning only if he has done the prerequisite work.

But then, since when does singing in front of a mixed public require teshuva?

kalsee

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 1:19 am
Raizle wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

isn't Rabbi A Y the same guy that says that condemns all us sheitle wearers?

No. He is very outspoken and extreme sometimes, but he doesn't say sheitels are assur for ashkenazim.
He does say sefardim should not wear them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics