Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Potty or Seat?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 11:14 am
I plan to Iy''h start toilet training my firstborn ds after succos, what would you reccommend to buy a potty, or a seat, or both? & which ones?

c.c.cookie

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 11:25 am
The advantage of a potty is that it's smaller and less scary for a little kid, and also it makes it easier to know if the child actually made when they come over and say, "Mommy I made, I want a chocolate chip..." On the other hand it's definitely easier to just flush the toilet, rather than clean the potty.
I used the potty for my first three, but now I just trained #4 and she refused to make on the potty - she wanted to be big. She was petrified to sit on the toilet, though, so the seat was great for her.

mae1984

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 11:40 am
We started with a potty and as she got more confident we moved to the seat.
The potty is also useful to keep in the car

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 11:52 am
seat w/ a stool
I am not cleaning out a potty.
someone told me about a kid who only made in a potty and when she was by someone else's house, she refused to go because there was no potty.

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:04 pm
Definitely go with the kiddie toilet seat. Potties are much harder to clean, and I dont see the advantage of it at all. The kiddie toilet seat works great.

Last edited by gold21 on Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:05 pm
Same thing could be said for a kid who only makes on those potty inserts. Won't go to the bathroom unless there's one there. So if she's out...the potty seat or the potty need to come with her.

I used a potty seat because yuck, who wants to clean out a potty? But honestly, I see why people do. It's hard for ds to get up and down, it's a bit too "big and scary" for him too. He also has to take off his pants completely (which includes shoes) so that he can climb up onto the potty - or else I have to lift him up myself. I think the whole process would have been easier if he had his own potty.

But still. Yuck.

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:07 pm
its not hard to climb onto a kiddie toilet seat if you keep a kiddie stool right next to the toilet.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:15 pm
Gold - I do. And it is. We've tried to find a taller stool. Maybe ds is short? He can make it up, but it's a whole production. That's the last thing you need with potty training, imho. And as I said, it means taking off his pants because he can't climb up when they're around his ankles, and he doesn't want to take them off while he's up on the stool - he doesn't feel sturdy somehow.

acccdac

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:59 pm
get this, it's worth the investment
http://www.onestepahead.com/ca.....86184

get this for the car if you're willing to spend the money but it's more important for a girl than a boy

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:31 pm
acccdac wrote:
get this, it's worth the investment

get this for the car if you're willing to spend the money but it's more important for a girl than a boy

op here like this step, but as I know my ds he won't go up & down the step himself, he'll be scared, he started walking by 19 months because was afraid to let go, & he's afraid to go down steps by himself
I think am best off getting both a potty fro beginning than a seat for the toilet, what do you people say to this one? it's a potty & can remove seat to put on toilet & use as stool as well
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.....53909

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:17 pm
In Israel, Keter make a great toilet seat which inlcudes a step

http://www.keter.com/products/toilet-trainer/

- I never quite understood why they made potties after I bought this. I think it's just a relic from the days of outhouses.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 11:57 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Gold - I do. And it is. We've tried to find a taller stool. Maybe ds is short? He can make it up, but it's a whole production. That's the last thing you need with potty training, imho. And as I said, it means taking off his pants because he can't climb up when they're around his ankles, and he doesn't want to take them off while he's up on the stool - he doesn't feel sturdy somehow.

Just wondering - does anyone else have this issue?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 11:59 am
I really wanted to do a potty seat that fits our toilet simply to avoid having a potty to clean out constantly. But for whatever reason I could never find one that fit our toilets. So potty it is.

zigi

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 12:01 pm
I did both, with the 2 oldest the potty seat was really good, ds trained himself. with dc#3 he uses the toilet I guess he sees the bigger kids use it so he wants to be like them he is also taller then they were at that age,

I liked the potty b/c the kids were able to train themselves. they could just run there when they needed to go, I hated cleaning it.

the toilet its hard to see if he went or not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training