Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What was the longest time you went without a sheital wash?

One year - boy did I have mazal and saved money!
Two years - it's a sheital I don't wear too often.  
 9%  [ 2 ]
A month - I need regular touch ups!  
 19%  [ 4 ]
6 mos. - I'm cheap, what do you want?  
 47%  [ 10 ]
Other, see below  
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 3:16 pm
Vote:

JMto2

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 3:20 pm
I wash my sheitel every 6-8 weeks not longer

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 3:25 pm
I wear my headband fall every day and it really needs to be washed every few weeks. I try not to do it more then once a month because it gets costly. But those few days leading up to getting it done, I feel really gross.
I washed my full sheitel once in the past 11 months (I don't wear it often)

binah918

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 3:27 pm
I wash mine every 2-3 months. It's very cheap in Israel but I only have one, (and I only go out of the house w/a sheitel), and I work Sunday through Friday until 7pm each night, (and 1pm erev Shabbos). When am I going to drop it off? I'm just to lazy to make special sheitel washing arrangements more than once every few months!

ny21

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 3:29 pm
what does the other option mean?

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 3:30 pm
You write your own "other"

ny21

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 3:31 pm
Oh! thanks! embarrassed embarrassed

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 3:53 pm
I hadn't had mine washed since Pesach (I only wear it shabbos)...and so I washed it for the first time myself sunday before the nine days. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself Smile

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 9:33 pm
I don't think a/one wants to knwo how long I havent washed mine.. I wash it myself..
I don't have a human shaitel, nor a full, nor a fall.

gali

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 10:33 pm
I wear my fall so often that it needs frequent washing, but it would get so costly if I was always bringing it to someone. So I started doing it myself several months ago,and honestly, it looks no different than when a pro does it Wink
Save yourself money ladies, wash your own wig! Get yourself an elchim, a round brush, and a clamp to put the wig on and you're all set.
Sometimes though, I don't even blow dry the wig and I just let it dry naturally overnight, and it still looks nice!

nicole81

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 10:37 pm
I only have a fall, and I stopped wearing it (aside from simchas and shul and on rare occasions) a long time ago. I think the last time it was washed was before Rosh Hashana. I think I'll stick to the once a year routine unless I start wearing it again.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 11:19 pm
I wear a synthetic but I haven't had it washed in a looong time. You cannot just wash it a nd blow it like a human.

realeez

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 11:23 pm
ditto what gali said. I wash my own fall but I give my sheitels out to be done. those need washings much less often.

preggymama

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:23 am
I don't like to give in my wig to be washed as often as it needs because of the expense. I would love to just wash it myself, but I have no clue how to do it. Can anybody give exact directions for how to wash a wig. I really need a "Wig Washing for Dummies"!

hisorerus

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:48 am
Here's the instructions I was given... maybe someone more experienced can help out.

1) Brush shaitel REALLY well.

2) Put shaitel onto old and ratty (or soon to be old and ratty) shaitel head and pin in place.

3) Using shower sprayer or kvort of water, wet shaitel completely with cold water.

4) Squirt huge amount of cheap shampoo (up to half a bottle) into kvort and fill the rest with cool (not hot) water.

5) Dump contents of kvort over shaitel and brush through.

6) Using spray or kvort, rinse shaitel completely by dumping more cool water over it.

7) Refill kvort with similar mixture of conditioner and water and repeat steps 5 - 6.

8) Remove shaitel from head and roll up in clean dry towel to remove excess water.

9) Gently blow-dry shaitel -or- let dry overnight -or- let dry partially and blow-dry the rest.

10) Put in some random hot rollers into shaitel. Don't worry about how it looks so much, just make sure it "curls" in the right direction. The heavy curl will fall out quickly if you brush it out.

11) Put a bit of Biosilk into palm of your hand and run your hand through the entire shaitel to minimize frizz and make it feel smooth and soft.

12) Wear.

Edited because forgot a step

Last edited by hisorerus on Wed, Jul 26 2006, 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 11:17 am
I do it a bit differently, but some things I though I'd mention:
I was told NOT to use an Elchim
Hand-knotted vs. machine knotted is diff.
Don't blow dry when wet, wait until damp
Other than that, I don't think it matters how I shampoo vs. how you shampoo Smile

preggymama

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 12:45 pm
Thank You! I am going to try and see how it comes out!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 12:48 pm
So is the trick not to lather the shampoo?

realeez

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:15 pm
only1, the trick I found is to keep brushing it when you are shampooing.

what I do is put it to dry somewhat on a door knob or something b4 blowdrying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics