Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
School uniforms
1  2  3  Next

ny21

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 9:52 am
What do you think about school uniforms
do you like them ?
or do you dislike them?

frummom

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 9:54 am
the concept of uniforms - love it.

the uniforms themselves - my daughters' uniforms are not bad, but I've seen some pretty nasty ones!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 9:59 am
I would have hated it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:16 am
I would have hated it probably, but in theory it is great. Girls focus less on clothes, poor or rich girls are not teased and set apart, and you don't have to worry in the morning about what you're going to wear!

ny21

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:19 am
I am very surprised shock shock -
that this subject never came up on Imamother!
I would not have liked it growing up.
My twins are identical so it would have been hard for them
if they had to wear school uniforms.
they have always dressed differently-which is good for them.

granolamom

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 12:03 pm
my high school started uniforms when I was in 10th grade. of course we all hated it. one thing to wear uniforms from day 1, but take a bunch of teenagers and deny them their clothing and you'd better duck!

that said, my dd has a uniform and I love it. no decision making in the morning. she likes it too (granted she's only 7), she likes looking like everyone else

Buddy

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 12:41 pm
The Satmar Rebbe didn't allow uniforms, the point? that girls should know how to dress tznius after leaving school.
Nevertheless, the issue has been brought up so many times by parents. Uniforms save a lot $, and sometimes it's really hard to stick the rules. I remember when the 'only shirts' rule came out. Shirts were not in style, and it was really hard to find a matching shirt for everything...

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 12:45 pm
Of course I never liked it when we were in school, the uniforms were quite ugly. But in hindsight it was probably better like that, less social pressure and stuff.

carrot

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 12:59 pm
Buddy, what do you mean by "only shirts"? As opposed to what?

red sea

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:00 pm
LOVE uniforms, after at first hating it as a kid myself, I found ways to express my own style with hair, shoes, jewelry and such. It was always so quick to get dressed and it for sure saved money.

chen

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:01 pm
when they first came out I was opposed b/c the initial outlay was much more than I would have spent on regular clothing--esp. since I already had some hand-me-downs. But in the long run it was cheaper b/c we could get away with fewer items.

Uniforms greatly reduce the material competition between girls: everyone gets their uniforms from the same 2 or 3 places, not one from Jimmy's El Cheapo and one from Lord & Taylor. All the girls hate the way they look, so that's a force for achdus in the class LOL And there is definitely a psychological contribution. Dressing for school has been shown to improve behavior and performance, which is why many public school systems have instituted unifoms.

Uniform dress also helps locate the children and keep them in sight and in line on class trips.

Not to worry, they will develop a sense of style as well as a sense of what is or is not approriate garb. There is Shabbos and Yom Tov, school vacations, and afterschool wear for them to learn on, not to mention their mothers and older girls to look at and emulate.

Signed,
Now I'm a Believer

Signed

Tovah

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:33 pm
I believe we did mention this somewhere, anyways uniforms are great!
kids come to school dressed appropriate. no jealousy, saves 1000s of adollars a yr on cloths (says my mother) and give school a certain respect. like on shabbos shabbos cloth school uniforms

Buddy

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:38 pm
Quote:
what do you mean by "only shirts"? As opposed to what?

Shirts/blouses. No t-shirts, and I think from 7'th grade & up u can't even wear just a sweatshirt or overtop. [/quote]

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:48 pm
ohhhhhhhhhhh

mumsy23

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 2:05 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I would have hated it probably, but in theory it is great. Girls focus less on clothes, poor or rich girls are not teased and set apart, and you don't have to worry in the morning about what you're going to wear!

I agree.

lucky

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 2:58 pm
Buddy wrote:
The Satmar Rebbe didn't allow uniforms, the point? that girls should know how to dress tznius after leaving school.

The main point was not to copy the parochial (sp?)schools who were the only ones who had uniforms at that time.

So we don't have uniforms, but we have a gazillion rules about what you are/are not supposed to wear. Uniforms would be sooo much easier. My daughters are in high school, and I get stressed out when I 'think' of their back to school wardrobe shopping. Confused

carrot

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 7:28 pm
This is interesting.

Lucky, do you think there is any possibility of changing to uniforms now that it is not only parochial schools who have them? Is there any talk of it?

Buddy please feel free not to answer but are you Satmar too?

Boys"R"Us

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 12:30 am
I just wish there was s/t equivelant for boys!

Where my boys go to school, there is a girls school and a boys school. The girls (from any of the schools with uniforms), are quickly identified by the specific pattern of jumper/kilt. The boys have somewhat vague rules. Like, semi-dress pants - dark coloured preferred. Shirts with collar and at least 3 buttons - solid colour preferred. This ends up looking like no uniform at all. One boy could be wearing a white button-down shirt with black pants. A different boy could have a Gap rugby shirt with khaki pants. Or plaid flannel shirt with corduroy pants. In terms of creating a uniform look - this system is not working. I just wish they would say black or navy pants with school shirt (A shirt with an embroidered crest on one side). I've seen shirts like this in non-Jewish private schools - is there any objection to a shirt like that? It just always seems like the girls uniforms and the boys "uniforms" are not equal!

chen

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 10:42 am
5boysMom wrote:
I just wish there was s/t equivelant for boys!

Where we live there is very little in the way of clothing stores other than jeans and T-shirt places. However, b/c many of the nonjwish schools require uniforms, the kidswear stores stock French Toast school uniforms. So although the yeshivoh has a dress code rather than a uniform, my boys have been wearing uniform shirts and pants for years. I think some ppl must think each boy has just one shirt and pair of pants to his name! Our closet looks like a police department locker room: rank upon rank of blue shirts and navy pants. Makes it very easy to get dressed in the a.m.

Buddy

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 11:07 am
Quote:
are you Satmar too?

Yes I am
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics