Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Feminine Hygeine Products

MamaBird

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 8:50 am
I've always been too embarrassed to ask a rav about this. Is there a halachic issue using pads or pantiliners on Shabbos? they have that sticky strip... can we peel off the backing? what about pads that have wings?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:13 am
I don't see the problem...? I think also if pads were a halachic issue, most women would know and have figured out a solution.

Skippy!!

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:28 am
When the flow is heavy and your wearing the pad to protect your body it's not considered carrying. However, if the bleeding is very light and your only wearing it to protect your clothing it's considered carrying.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 11:44 am
I think OP is asking about the sticking issue and I believe it is OK because it is meant to be very temporary, so is not considered real sticking. But I'm no authority...

Depressed

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 11:53 am
Maybe its the same halacho, as pull-ups and diapers. Ask a Rov if diapers with sticky strips is ok.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:59 pm
I know there is a problem sticking for the first time so I prepare them in advance. I open each pad and unstick and restick the strips. I do the same thing with pampers for shabbos.

LadyG

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 11:12 pm
Actually, when I was in seminary, we learned the halachah regarding bandaids. I fI remember correctly, the debate is whether the item is manufactured to have the sticky thing temporarily or not. Those that hold it's a temporary thing, say it's fine to remove the backing on Shabbos. Anyhow, in the class the teacher did not mention pads. But when class ended, one girl mentioned quietly to the rest of us that he probably meant for us to understand that pads are included in this discussion. I don't know the bottom line, but I don't unstick before Shabbos.

Shuly

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:17 am
I learned that it is a problem to stick something if it will be stuck permanently and not reopened. So you can't wrap up a used pad (or diaper) by sticking it together and throwing it out because it won't ever be reopened. I just fold my pads over and stuff them in the bottom of the garbage can with tissues on top. (B"H most diapers are made with that velcro-kind of closure now - much better for shabbos!)

I was also told to open the wrappers of the pads before shabbos or to open in a way that destroys them, if I run out of opened ones on shabbos.

MamaBird

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 12:29 am
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure if it's always possible to open them before Shabbos in case mother nature sends you a Shabbos surprise... but it's interesting. I never learned the halachos about temporary sticking, and never really understood why band-aids were OK. Thanks for clarifying!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions