Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
What would happen if I skip this step?

bigbird

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:09 am
I have an orange & honey chicken recipe that says to first dip in egg and seasoned breadcrumbs,
bake for 15 min. and then pour the orange/honey sauce over and bake again. What is the point of the breadcrumbs? It made the chicken "mushy" and we don't like crispy chicken so I didn't uncover it. What would happen if I skip the breadcrumbs and just bake with the sauce?

TIA!

tziviakayla

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:28 am
I skip the breadcrumbs for the honey chicken I make all the time. Tastes great with the honey/orange sauce!

bigbird

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:59 am
Great, thanks mommy3! Do you add any salt at all or just pour the sauce over and bake? (I'm asking because the breadcrumbs are seasoned and wondering if it makes a difference.)

tziviakayla

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:13 am
I actually don't use salt in any of my baking or cooking. I just make a mixture of honey, orange juice, and water, then pour it over the chicken. I use the sauce for cutlets and well as bone-in chicken pieces. No other seasoning at all. I think the mixtue I used for Rosh Hashana was 1/2 cup honey, 1 cup orange juice, and 1/2 cup water. I adjusted if I felt more of anything was needed after pouring it over the chicken.

Karnash

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:15 am
It will taste fine, maybe even better - just baste once in a while for moistness and even browning.

bigbird

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:04 am
Thanks Karnash. Mommy3 that's the recipe I have!

Thanks for the help!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:24 pm
I also never add salt.

bigbird

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 6:47 am
So I made this without the breadcrumbs but I skinned it as well (I never cook chicken with the skin) so it looks really bland - not really brown and appetizing although I'm sure it tastes great. Any ideas on how I can dress it up to make it look more appealing?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey