Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
America's Next Top Model - modern orthodox jew contestant
  Previous  1  2  3  4 15  16  17  Next

ora_43

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 3:42 am
louche wrote:
Raisin wrote:
she says she was raised mo. I know plenty of shomer shabbos people who dress like that.

you know plenty of shomer shabbos people who walk around in their underwear in public? (Loehmann's dressing room doesn't count.) where DO you live?

I know people who've been shomer shabbos and worn bikinis, does that count? (most eventually went to one side or the other though).

In Israel it's very common for women or girls to wear very revealing clothing yet be masorti (that is, they keep chagim, keep shabbat and kashrut to some extent, etc). Americans seem to be different, sometimes the dress code is the last thing they'll drop.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 3:44 am
shlomitsmum wrote:
So Sad Sad and totally not worth it ..its a sick industry,that warps the mind and soul ,(My mum was a model in the 70's)
Hashem Yerachem ....It just goes on to show how twisted out value system has become as a society ! wonder were she went to school ,her parents reaction?.
Fame ,fotune ,money make this girl do this???
What do MO Imamother think of this ....I honesty wonder?
im MO and find the whole thing truly sad and terrible all at once.

sad just because I hate these beauty things to begin with and terrible that she even brought up the fact that she was jewish. she anyway said that she would be prepared to be mechalel shabbat, so what was the real purpose of saying that she was / is a frum jew.

and once she took off her clothing and walked down the runway in her undergarments, my thoughts went even lower.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:04 am
Don't worry, she wont last, and this will just be a distant memory (if that) for those who watched the episode. I have to admit, it is the FIRST time I've ever watched this show, and probably wont ever watch it again.

unrelated, but- (I like the 6'2 girl, aside from being pretty, having a hot bod, blah, blah, blah she doesn't seem as biotchy or completely full of herself, like the other contestants.)

freidasima

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 5:17 am
Shal - touche!

ora_43

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 5:35 am
Based on this thread, it doesn't sound like she's so far out of the MO camp. So she's willing to drop observance for the right price - aren't a lot of people? Does that mean they aren't currently considered orthodox, just because if a certain friend/spouse/business opportunity comes along they won't be anymore?

L'havdil, but let's say a single hareidi woman decides that she's willing to date MO guys, and if she marries one she'll live like he does, but in the meantime she's still living as a hareidi woman and dating primarly hareidi men. Does that make her MO?

Of course MO doesn't approve of walking around in one's underwear any more than any other orthodox group. But OTOH, if we nixed every single teenage girl who ever wore revealing clothing as no longer orthodox...

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 6:34 am
ora_43 wrote:
Based on this thread, it doesn't sound like she's so far out of the MO camp. So she's willing to drop observance for the right price - aren't a lot of people? Does that mean they aren't currently considered orthodox, just because if a certain friend/spouse/business opportunity comes along they won't be anymore?

L'havdil, but let's say a single hareidi woman decides that she's willing to date MO guys, and if she marries one she'll live like he does, but in the meantime she's still living as a hareidi woman and dating primarly hareidi men. Does that make her MO?

Of course MO doesn't approve of walking around in one's underwear any more than any other orthodox group. But OTOH, if we nixed every single teenage girl who ever wore revealing clothing as no longer orthodox...

"Revealing" clothing can be a matter of judgement. We're not talking about someone who decides to switch to chalav stam instead of CY. Lifting up your shirt to expose your bra and declaring that you are willing to violate Shabbat are clearly very far over the line.

chavamom

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 6:35 am
Lift up your shirt? She took off all her clothing and strutted down the runway in her bra and panties!

chavs

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 7:46 am
As I said, the girl is not orthodox in any way shape or form, its not a matter of going down a madreiga its a matter of dropping it.
I btw hope and believe that most ppl wouldnt 'drop' yiddishkeit for the right price, a fair amount of ppl are tested regularly by H-shem and that fair amount are still frum yidden b-H!

mimivan

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 7:57 am
Wish she could have stood up for Shabbos observance like Matis did..

this is classic...especially from 4:00 on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HfDagzdulw

not for $4 million dollars!

faigie

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 8:32 am
beautiful......

louche

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 8:44 am
What, no one remembers the old song "Ain't gonna work on saturday?"

Ain't gonna work on Saturday
Ain't gonna work on Saturday
Double, double, triple pay
Won't make me work on Saturday.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 9:28 am
chavamom wrote:
Lift up your shirt? She took off all her clothing and strutted down the runway in her bra and panties!

Is a bra and panties any different than a bikini? I know a lot of girls who would walk around in a bikini.

And almost everyone can be bought for the right price.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 9:43 am
saw50st8 wrote:
chavamom wrote:

Is a bra and panties any different than a bikini? I know a lot of girls who would walk around in a bikini.

can you?

louche

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 9:52 am
saw50st8 wrote:

Is a bra and panties any different than a bikini?

Qualitatively, yes, the way a granny nightgown is qualitatively different from a "little House on the Prairie" dress. Underwear that is not intended for public consumption is more provocative simply because it's obviously not meant to be seen in public. A granny gown covers as much or more of the body than streetwear, but the viewer knows that it's bedroom wear and not meant to be seen in public. It carries with it all the associations of the bedroom despite its concealment. To appear in public in a nightgown would be immodest because of that association.

A woman in a bikini on the beach is dressed appropriately for the environment. (Which is not to say that this is appropriate attire for a frum woman, but it IS appropriate for the surroundings.) A woman in underwear is dressed appropriately only if she's in her boudoir or in a fitting room. Anywhere else, it's indecent exposure.

S*xual provocation is largely about perception. The appearance of naughtiness is as much a turn-on as the actual exposure of flesh. All other things being equal, underwear is more provocative than a swimsuit.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 9:52 am
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
chavamom wrote:

can you?

If I'm being honest, probably.

Imagine if someone offered you $45 million dollars to eat a piece of pork. One piece and that's it. You wouldn't have to work or worry about food for the rest of your life. You could make yom tov in a relaxed manner. You could afford cleaning help and not worry about your brakes going and not being able to to fix it. Your wouldn't be upset that your only pair of brown shoes just seperated from the heel (while at work no less!).

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:03 am
I wouldn't eat a piece of pork for $45 million. I think that most observant Jews wouldn't.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:08 am
ChossidMom wrote:
I wouldn't eat a piece of pork for $45 million. I think that most observant Jews wouldn't.

I honestly think you are wrong. Especially if its in secret and no one would find out.

Think about how many things we all do wrong on a regular basis. At least you would be paid for it!

LeahW

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:12 am
The only problem here is that if Hashem wanted you to have that 45 mill, He would have given it to you some other way. If He doesn't want you to have it, you won't have it, even if you eat the pork.

LeahW

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:15 am
saw50st8 wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:

I honestly think you are wrong. Especially if its in secret and no one would find out.

Think about how many things we all do wrong on a regular basis. At least you would be paid for it!

How dare you! ChossidMom does no wrong! Seriously though, it's one thing to have weakness in the moment and make a mistake. But if this is really how you feel, that you would falter, you really need to work on this, girlfriend. Who cares if you have a million shoes, when that can all disappear in a moment and you'll have to face your creator about why you sold yourself out?

Last edited by LeahW on Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 10:16 am
LeahW wrote:
The only problem here is that if Hashem wanted you to have that 45 mill, He would have given it to you some other way. If He doesn't want you to have it, you won't have it, even if you eat the pork.

I still have to do my hishtadlus LOL
Page 3 of 17   Previous  1  2  3  4 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics