Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Home made baby food

Ima2

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 4:11 am
for those of you who make their own baby food, how do you store it? do you make a bunch and then freeze it? do you make it daily? what do you store it in?

Marion

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 4:44 am
I use the plastic Playtex bags (the ones for breastmilk) to freeze in 2 oz. servings. Or I use Tupperware (real Tupperware) snack cups (4 oz. servings). I know a lot of people who use ice cube trays.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 5:02 am
I think I just fed her what we were eating mushed up. sometimes I would cook a sweet potato, mash it and keep it in the fridge for a bit. This will gross you out - but sometimes I chewed the chicken, spit it out and put it in her mouth. and even before she had any teeth I could give her small peices of food that are not choking hazards and she would chew them with her gums.

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 5:02 am
I freeze it in plastic cups, a little bit less than a cup in each.

IamI

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 5:12 am
first I froze it in ice cube trays (silicone) and when she started eating more in mini muffin trays (also silicone). worked out very well.
and I would make big batches every time to save on time.
I would freeze it in the tray and once it's frozen move to a ziplock to A save space and B be able to reuse the trays since I had only one or two.

Zus

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 5:25 am
I make a big batch of chicken or turkey soup with lots of veggies once a week, divide it into individual servings and freeze it.

I make the chalavi meals fresh every day, with the help of my BabyCook.

Ima2

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 7:19 am
thanks! what kind of food did you make? this is my baby's first solid foods

Marion

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 7:31 am
So you need to start with single-ingredient purees. Sweet potato, carrot, squash, pumpkin, peas, green or yellow beans, broccoli, apple, pear, banana, peach, mango is what I tend to start with. You don't want to add anything at the beginning. Once you've tried a few of them (and you have to try them for a few days each before starting a new one) you can start combining. I also puree but don't strain; so far my kids have been fine with the slightly chunkier consistency even at the beginning.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics