Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Shabbos Chulent after 2 days of YT

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 9:30 am
How do you do it? Leave the crock pot on and empty for 2 days and just put the chulent in fri??? then what temp do you leave it on, low or high?

Is there another way

de_goldy

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 9:34 am
Will you have a burner or two on over yom tov to cook and warm up food? Assuming yes, it is easier to do the cholent on the stovetop.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 9:39 am
how do you do it on the stovetop w/out making a mess? how high should the temp be? in a regular pot?

de_goldy

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 9:49 am
Why would it make mess?

You use a regular pot, first brown the meat and onions a bit, then put in your potatoes and whatever else you use, fill with water.

You can cook on a medium flame before shabbos, then turn down low, cover the flame with a blech, and leave pot on the blech.

shanie5

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 2:40 pm
Or even transfer to an oven pan and leave it in oven on a low temp.

heffer569

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 2:51 pm
Its so easy to use the crockpot just fill crock with water b4 yom tov then on fri dunp out water and make cholent like you normally would.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 3:43 pm
I do the same as Heffer -- put water in the crockpot and turn it on before yontef; on Friday morning dump out whatever water is left and make cholent as usual.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 3:53 pm
Heffer and Ducky, (I cant believe Im asking for cooking advice from farm animals)

Do you leave the crock pot on high or low? On a regular Friday I start it on high and then switch to low before Shabbos starts. That obviously wont work for a 3 day YT

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 6:34 pm
Why not put it on HIgh on Tues night or Wed, then put it in the fridge and put the crockpot on low before yomtov. Then your already mostly cooked but cold cholent can warm and finish cooking on friday afternoon, evening and overnight.

Rodent

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 9:59 am
If it was me I would put the crock pot on low for the whole 3 days and add the hamin/cholent on Friday morning. The food needs to be fully edibly cooked before Shabbat starts. The only reason you can cook on YT for Shabbat is in case you get guests YT afternoon and need something to feed them so it needs to be edible to be served to anyone who arrives in time to eat right before Shabbat (and if you do get guests you need to be willing to serve it). You can't put a raw one on right before Shabbat like you might another time. As for high/low, I don't see the need for high, just put it on a little earlier, you can stir etc during the day (of YT) if you feel it needs it unlike on Shabbat.

Personally I don't bother....

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 1:19 pm
you could precook it on the stove before yom tov and then warm it just before shabbos

as far as I know you cant lower a flame on yom tov, but you can light a new one from an exsisting one and make a flame bigger on the gas range

Shopmiami49

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 2:50 pm
We jsut did this on R"H - We left the crockpot filled with water on low from the beginning of y"T. (Iactually made yapshik in a cholent bag and put that in the water. We ate it the first day.) We made the cholent on Friday morning, like usual, and put it in the crockpot. We always use bags surrounded by water. We usually start the crockpot on high and switch it to low, but it was on the low the whole time and the cholent was great!

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 3:41 pm
I did the same as Shopmiami. I made the cholent first thing Fri. morning - had it up by 8:00, kept it on low, and the cholent was delicious. The potatoes melted in the mouth. Only difference I felt was that the meat was a drop less tender (we call it "gum fleish" - meat that's like gum, cuz you have to keep chewing it until you can swallow it.)

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 9:53 pm
My crockpot runs cold so I just keep it on high. If yours runs hot (as most do) just start the cholent early Friday morning and keep it on low.

life'sgreat

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 10:18 pm
I don't use a crockpot, so I'll put it on a blech, as usual. I will have a hotplate on, but I don't think I can cook the cholent from scratch on a hotplate, so I'll open a flame for Shabbos.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 11:19 pm
I left my crockpot on low at the beginning of YT, and didn't put the actual crock in the heating element until Friday morning. I prepared the cholent on Friday morning and put it up by 9 on low. You don't have to keep a crock in the heating element with water, you can just keep the element empty.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sat, Sep 18 2010, 11:22 pm
Here's another discussion on this topic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus