Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Table manners for a two year old

amother

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 8:33 pm
Is a 2 year old too young for table manners?

When he was like a year old, he dumped food on he floor. Now he's doing I on purpose, espeially if he's angry or frusraed. Am I crazy to think that he is old enough to know better? I’m trying to be consistent about taking him out when he does that, letting him know I disapprove, etc. But dh thinks my standards are too high.
And then there’s the question about eating with a spoon or fork. Should I be doing more than gently encouraging at this age? It’s much easier for him to eat with his hands, and he eats a lot, so he gets frustrated when not enough comes up on his spoon. For example, if he eats dry rice krispies for breakfast from a bowl, he starts with a spoon for the first spoonful or two, and then gets annoyed and just digs in with his hands.
Will he grow out of this? Or am I supposed to be teaching him this stuff? I don’t really care, in theory, but I don’t want to get to the point where I realize that I didn’t reinforce it enough at a young age so now it’s a bad habit (e.g., eating with his hands).

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 8:39 pm
In my house that is too young for manners. (2 Y/o)
I do not give her cuttlery . I serve only finger foods and sippy cups to my kids at that age ,keeping meals happy and non stressfull.

I begin training once they are verbal and show signs of understanding my point around 3 earliest. Very Happy
this too shall pass and I bet he will eat like a mensh! they learn by example ,so you have nothing to worry about. Dont get into wars with a 2 year old ..they can be so stubborn is not even funny Twisted Evil Very Happy

Last edited by shlomitsmum on Tue, Sep 21 2010, 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 8:41 pm
I guess I should specify. He’s extremely verbal. Like to the point of saying, “Actually, I want the red cup instead of the blue cup Mommy.” Yeah, it’s crazy, ba’h. But he definitely understands, and he can definitely verbalize.

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 8:47 pm
begin if he is verbal but with a very light hand Very Happy he sounds cute!

zigi

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 11:35 pm
I give my 22 month old a spoon. I don't expect him to use it. but he wants to try and he is getting there. I usually give utensils and they eventually pick it up by 3. they don't know if they can use it if they aren't given the chance, I don't make a big deal how they eat though. but no throwing food on the floor.

supermommy07

Post Wed, Sep 22 2010, 12:32 am
My daughter started eating with a spoon at 18 months.. yogurt and cereal with milk. I wish she wouldnt cuz she makes the biggest mess ( she throws her food everywhere and laughs) but at 18 months she stopping letting me feed her. my 3 year old son has definatly been using cutlery and hand since he was 2 and a bit and eats really nicely on his own-but he needs a HUGE bib esp with cereal and milk. both my kids are very verbal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics