Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Good experience with a nice fabric shop?

Lefty

Post Sat, Oct 09 2010, 9:32 pm
ISO fabric store or webstore (besides for moods) for fine, high end fabric. not very pricey.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 12:47 am
Lefty wrote:
ISO fabric store or webstore (besides for moods) for fine, high end fabric. not very pricey.

high end=expensive

ididit

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 10:34 am
over the years, I've found that I get the best bang for my buck at www.fashionfabricclub.com

in the old days, they'd send out 50 swatches with descriptions just about monthly and I could fondle the fabric or see the color in real time. unfortunately, they stopped that and only send out a swatch if you request it. in any case, their return policy is great, so if I order something on line and don't like it, I can return it with no hassle. I have to tell you that what you see on your screen may not be the exact color in real life, and of course, you have little indication of the weight and drape of the cloth, and their descriptions are only minimally helpful.
but the prices are great.

there's www.fabricmart.com
they're often more pricey, and only deal in the latest and greatest of current fabric trends. if that's what you want, they're the best. good return policy and nice to deal with, too.

as for fabric stores, I live in NYC, so I travel to manhattan. I personally like Paron on 40th st. great selection very helpful staff and the prices could be good, especially if you're looking at high end stuff. are you looking for chasuna stuff or kids stuff?
hth

rosehill

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 10:58 am
If you're in NYC, you MUST MUST MUST go to
Metro Textile
265 West 37th Street
Suite 908
New York, NY 10018

Phone: 212-209-0004
Right down the block from Mood.

The guy's name is Kashi-I'm not sure where he's from, but he speaks fluent Hebrew. He has TOP quality stuff. He may not always have the variety of colours and yardage that Mood has, but his prices are so much better, and he can find anything for you.

I've bought yards and yards of top quality silks and Italian wools there, and I don't think I've ever spent more that $10/yard.

If you want, I'll pm you pics of dresses I've made with his fabric.

As for online, I like www.emmaonesock.com, but they're expensive.
I've never been happy with anything from fashion fabric club, and will no longer order from there.

You can check out patternreview.com for more website and store reviews.

ididit

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:04 am
oh yes, metro textiles. I forgot, how could I? I must be getting old!

as for fashion fabrics club. I do stick to standard things from there. for instance, stretch velvet for robes and snoods, gabardine/twill for skirts, and a wide variety of knits. you do have to be careful, and because I got those swatches for so many years, I am familiar with how they classify their fabrics. I think if you don't have that experience with them, it would be more of a challenge guessing about what you're really getting.

Lefty

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:08 am
Thank you guys. I was looking for a store so I can feel/touch the fabric.
I want to sew a couple of childrenswear.

rosehill

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:11 am
If you're looking for knits for childrenswear, try spandex house in NYC.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains