Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What kind of flour for challah?

yaeli83

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 3:43 pm
my challas always come out a little dense. Ive tried every recipe in the book! Im starting to think if I change the type of flour it might help. if you have a fluffy challah, what type of flour do you use?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 3:53 pm
High gluten flour.

sofaraway

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 4:03 pm
Bread flour?

jewels

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 6:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
High gluten flour.

Ditto - my challah never came out good and I just gave up and bought. But I tried the high gluten flour and it's amazing how good and fluffy the challah comes out

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 6:56 pm
where do you live? here there is flour called strong bread flour. I think it is the same as high gluten flour.

its a little more expensive but comes out much better. Also if you are making bread by hand make sure you are not adding too much flour.

Mommy F.

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 6:57 pm
cool!
Thanks for the idea I would've never thought of that!

Do you just substitute 1 cup of regular flour for 1 cup of high gluten flour?

jewels

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 7:00 pm
Raisin wrote:
where do you live? here there is flour called strong bread flour. I think it is the same as high gluten flour.

its a little more expensive but comes out much better. Also if you are making bread by hand make sure you are not adding too much flour.

What do you mean when you say not to add too much when you make it by hand? I make it by hand and use exactly the same amount as you would with a machine-is it that it feels sticky when you knead by ahnd so you would feel like it needs more?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 12:09 pm
Mommy F. wrote:
cool!
Thanks for the idea I would've never thought of that!

Do you just substitute 1 cup of regular flour for 1 cup of high gluten flour?
Yes. Use the same amount of flour. Just use the high gluten one.

cassandra

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 12:20 pm
You can also buy wheat gluten separately (from a company like arrowhead mills or similar) and add it to the mix.

yaeli83

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 1:14 pm
Thanks everyone! I have to go out and buy some high gluton flour. will let you know how the challas turn out!

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 1:42 pm
Raisin wrote:

I actually looked this up yesterday, out of curiosity. At least in the US, they're different (I could re-google if you'd like), and high gluten is more expensive than bread flour. I use bread flour for challah.

nylon

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 6:39 pm
I vacillate.

Bread flour is a little lighter, all purpose (King Arthur only, which is higher in gluten than most others) a little more tender.

At the moment I'm using 3 parts AP to 1 part bread and getting very good challot.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 7:33 pm
Barbara wrote:
Raisin wrote:

I actually looked this up yesterday, out of curiosity. At least in the US, they're different (I could re-google if you'd like), and high gluten is more expensive than bread flour. I use bread flour for challah.

I also googled and it said bread flour is simply higher gluten flour. my bread flour contains wheat and gluten.

anyway here there is no high gluten flour - just bread flour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus