Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
15 month old EYE CONTACT- is this normal?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 10:50 am
how long should a 15 month old be able to hold eye contact for?

my baby will meet my eyes if I call him but only for a second or two and then he looks away.

if you don't know the answer, can you tell me what your child does if you have a child in a similar age range.

thanks.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 11:06 am
are you able to hold his gaze when you do something with him - like playing, singing, telling a story? that's the real indicator,

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 11:12 am
what do you mean by hold his gaze? how long is considered holding his gaze? throughout the entire song or story? of for "x" amount of minutes?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 12:15 pm
anyone else have anythign to add? I'm nervous. I will mention it to my dr. but in the meantime I would like to hear more of what is "normal". thanks.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 12:17 pm
anyone else have anythign to add? I'm nervous. I will mention it to my dr. but in the meantime I would like to hear more of what is "normal". thanks.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 12:17 pm

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 12:18 pm
aaah sorry about the multiple posts, my browser got stuck!

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 12:42 pm
I would find it concerning. You should probably get him evaluated.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 1:17 pm
does he look at you more or less while you play with him? or does his gaze wander the entire time?
does he come to you when you call him? respond t his name?
does he follow simple directions?
does he spend a lot of time on his own?
does he, for instance,play onhis own for a long time withotu seeking you out?

If your answer is no to theh first, second, third question and yes to the last 2, you should get him evaluated.

Last edited by Mama Bear on Mon, Oct 18 2010, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

de_goldy

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 3:34 pm
I don't want to scare you but this can be a big red flag. I would DEFINITELY get him evaluated immediately.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 3:38 pm
I would take the baby to the doctor and point it out.
A baby that age should gaze at mom or dad or other living beings.
Does he gaze at other things?

Please have him evaluated.
IM"H it will be nothing...

sofaraway

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 3:41 pm
I wouldn't necessarily focus on how he loooks atYOU. Maybe you can check how he looks at others, or at items (toys, books, etc).
Maybe this can help you.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 4:35 pm
I agree with the others that the question is in what context. While you're talking to him, singing to him, playing with him, he should be able to have longer eye-contact, but just "stam" - even I can't look at anyone for more than 20 seconds.
I also agree with mamabear (I'm pretty sure that's who it was) that you should be looking at this as part of a bigger picture. What's he like otherwise? How is his development? Any speech? Any other form of communication? Interaction?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 6:16 pm
OP here. he only has a couple words but all my kids were late talkers so this doesnt really indicate anything for me. but he communicates saying "uh" so I know what he wants and he responds to directions. like come here. get that etc. but does not know body parts, like if you say where is your nose etc, he doesn't do that.

he definitely interacts, just doesn't seem to look in the eyes for long. maybe 5 seconds when I lay him in his crib and he's looking up at me. only a few seconds while playing, or singing to him, then he looks away.
he plays normally with other toys, trains, balls, cars, mega blox etc.
he is also a late walker. shaky balance but walking.

he does look at you if you call his name. and will look at your face if you are making funny faces with your mouth etc but its not at the eyes obviously then it would be at my mouth.

he loves to play with his siblings on the floor etc so he is def not in his own world but I still feel like he doesn't meet my eyes for long enough. I will mention it to my dr of course.

hadasa

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 6:53 pm
Does he laugh at the funny faces?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 6:56 pm
getting an evaluation is painless. then again he's still quite young, you can wait another few months, it's hard to diagnose kids at this age.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 7:40 pm
Does he come to you when he needs something?
Does he interact with others?

dGirl

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:14 pm
Do you notice his eyes moving in any particular constant direction? Does he pointedly look away, or does he for example look moreso to one side, or do his eyes seem to roam back and forth?

I would suggest gettign him tested both for neurological developement, as well as for sight specific issues.

Hatzlacha. Whatever you find out, know that it is from the Almighty and you will be given the strength, tools, and people to help you if there is a problem.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 9:03 pm
op here

he does come for help when he needs it and interacts with other. he does laugh at silly faces.

he does not seem to have eyes that just roam to the side. its more like he looks away purposely like its hard for him to hold the gaze.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 9:15 pm
You think he has vision issues? Does he read a book nicely?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics