Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
15 month old EYE CONTACT- is this normal?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 6:31 pm
no I really don't think he has vision issues. he looks at books and other things fine. its only meeting eyes that I feel is the problem.

WWG1WGA

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. he only has a couple words but all my kids were late talkers so this doesnt really indicate anything for me. but he communicates saying "uh" so I know what he wants and he responds to directions. like come here. get that etc. but does not know body parts, like if you say where is your nose etc, he doesn't do that.

he definitely interacts, just doesn't seem to look in the eyes for long. maybe 5 seconds when I lay him in his crib and he's looking up at me. only a few seconds while playing, or singing to him, then he looks away.
he plays normally with other toys, trains, balls, cars, mega blox etc.
he is also a late walker. shaky balance but walking.

he does look at you if you call his name. and will look at your face if you are making funny faces with your mouth etc but its not at the eyes obviously then it would be at my mouth.

he loves to play with his siblings on the floor etc so he is def not in his own world but I still feel like he doesn't meet my eyes for long enough. I will mention it to my dr of course.
I have a 15 month old and she does NOT know her body parts and that is really normal.

marina

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 7:10 pm
Autism is a communication and social skills disorder. It also often presents with stimming behaviors, repetitive body movements.

From what you describe, he socializes with siblings normally and has receptive and some expressive speech, so I would not worry.

Not holding a gaze could just mean... your gaze is boring and he'd rather look at something else Smile

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 7:11 pm
Yes, it sounds like he doesn't fall under the pdd category. He might be an active toddler with no time to talk to you. If it is still a concern in a month or two ask you pedi about it.

hadasa

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:45 am
amother wrote:
op here

he does come for help when he needs it and interacts with other. he does laugh at silly faces.

he does not seem to have eyes that just roam to the side. its more like he looks away purposely like its hard for him to hold the gaze.

I don't know too much about this, but I've noticed that doctors often ask if the child laughs when played with. It seems to be one of the signs of normal social development.

chavs

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 4:54 am
I'm with Marina on this one. This is an age that something like eating becomes more difficult/takes longer because the child would rather look around the room then concentrate on eating. For a long time all he saw was you and now his interest is expanding. You are not that interesting to him anymore most likely, apparently not as interesting as the pretty light that keeps sparkling or the ball he can see out of the corner of his eye moving etc.
If you are really concerned ask about it next time you go to the doctor with him.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 7:17 am
thanks everyone I will be bringing it up to my dr.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 7:27 am
If he is otherwise acting normally, then probably it is nothing, however, it never can hurt to check it out. If he is otherwise doing well, responding normally etc etc. I wouldn't rush into the doctor but if you are going in the next few months/weeks anyway, I'd ask then.

If he starts to interact less, become more withdrawn, or starts exhibiting behaviors that disturb YOU as the mom, then call and make an appointment and take him in.

None of us can really assess his condition based on your words. Your pediatrician is the best person to do that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics