Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toilet Training for Bowel Movements- advice requested!

baschabad

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 10:33 pm
My two year old is in the toilet training process, and is excellent about using the toilet for number 1, but still refuses to go for number 2! She is not constipated as far as I know- she may go for one day without a bowel movement, but will either go the next day in her underwear, or as I recently started offering her, diapers for number 2.

Any ideas on how to encourage her? She will even tell me that she needs to have a bowel movement, but won't sit for more than half a minute on the toilet seat, and will get anxious and upset if I try to convince her to sit longer.

Advice is appreciated! TIA!

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 10:45 pm
Get her a book or read her a book while she is siting.

enneamom

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 11:12 pm
I bribe mine with a treat. It may not be ideal parenting, but it works. If you're more idealistic, you can use a sticker chart with prizes.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 11:17 pm
I had this with 2 of my kids, and I found the way to do it is to force them from the begining. I would not offer a diaper each time they have to go bec. this will go on forever. I have heard of pple doing this, and their kids would insist on doing it that way for a long, long time. When I knew that they had to go, I would literally hold them onto the toilet, and yes they would fight and scream, but eventually they had no choice and would go. Then after a few times (maybe 3-4 times) they would have no issues with it anymore bec. they realized nothing terrible happened. Many kids feel as if part of them is coming out when they make a no. 2 so it is scary, but if they go sucessfully in the toilet, they will overcome this fear very quickly. And I also made a HUGE deal out of how proud I was, and gave them MAJOR prizes each of those first few times for encouragement.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 11:27 pm
This is one of those things that you may have to wait out, but be careful what you promise. When my daughter pooped in the pot, she held me to every word of presents I had promised her...

BrklynMother

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 12:08 am
my daughter made in her underwear for weeks...finally, it was yomtov so instead of sending her off to playgroup and having her come home changed with a bag of dirty underwear, I watched her very closely...I looked out for signs that she had to go and kept the potty in the living room...finally, after there were still a few accidents, she sat down on the toilet when I noticed a few signs she had to go... when she sat down I got extremely excited, after a few minutes of being nervous on the potty, she wanted to get up but I knew she had to go so I offered her chocolate...one piece and then another and the another...slowly...but it worked and we sang songs and danced about it and told everyone how proud we were...

really I dont think there is any one way that works, you just have to figure out what works for you but be prepared, if youre not one of the lucky ones who are successful right away, have lots of undies, keep wipes handy and brace yourself for accidents...(some ppl wont clean the underwear and just throw it out instead if its so dirty, thats up to u)

positive encouragement works the best but also I would remind her that big girls make on the potty and not in their underwear and she wants to be a big girl... could b a terrible method but it works!

good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics