Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Do the teachers wipe your children in school?
1  2  3  Next

Do the teachers wipe your children
no  
 42%  [ 25 ]
yes  
 45%  [ 27 ]
other - details please  
 11%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 59

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:18 pm
dd is going to be 4 next week, she is in school in brooklyn.

she just came home and we noticed she had a terrible rash by her vaginal area, and around her thighs and around her butt was dirty. we were told that its school policy that they do NOT wipe the children. basically the children are to fend for themselves, and walk around dirty with dirty underwear if they used the bathroom (number 2) and did not yet learn how to wipe.

IMHO a 4 year old should not understand how to wipe after number 2, let alone be responsible for it. a 6 year old - ok.

have you ever heard of this?

has anyone experienced this in their child's pre school?

please list the name of the school if they do not have this policy, so I can know where to send my child considering that it would be in the same vicinity.

Nomad

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:22 pm
WHAT?? that is crazy! poor kids Sad

no - I never heard of this. is there a principal or someone higher up to speak to? I would want to make sure the morah is not making things up or at least someone should be aware of whats going on.

sorry my kid is not in a preschool in brooklyn Sad

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:25 pm
I don't know bec. I never asked - but all of my kids were the same - they avoided doing #2 in school until they reached older grades.

mfb

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:25 pm
where I send my child in brooklyn the teacher helps if needed the teacher wears disposeable gloves so it is very sanitary

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:26 pm
My 3 year old used to come home with dirty underwear every day. I went to speak to the teacher to ask her to wipe her, but before I could say anything, she asked me, "Can you please teach her to wipe herself? It's digusting for a Morah to have to do it."

By law, teachers are officially not allowed to touch the children. They can get in big trouble if they wipe them. Many schools do not allow the teachers to wipe the kids for that reason.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:30 pm
Some schools are elitist and the teachers think it's below them.

Nomad

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:40 pm
"By law, teachers are officially not allowed to touch the children. They can get in big trouble if they wipe them."

I have never heard of this rule and have seen licensed places where teachers wipe the children in extremely sanitary ways

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:44 pm
as teacher of 3 year-olds I have to say sometimes its IMPOSSIBLE to wipe a child... imagine this.. you have 2 tables painting one morah at each table.. little Shlomy needs to make... he goes to the bR then calls to be wiped... a morah must leave the table full of 6 3-year-olds full of paint and go wipe little shlomy while she is doing this little moshi spills paint on the floor... little shully starts eating the paint and little Yitzy runs out of the room... the morah from the otehr table runs out to catch yitzy and her table goes nuts as well...

IE most classes are staffed with JUST enough help to get school things done.. there are tiems when it is physically IMPOSSIBLe to do....

how aboutt his one.. teacher #1 is on her lunch break while morah #2 does circle time... again do we stop circle time to go wipe little suri?

Our school had a no wiping rule but those with the younger kids would do it for a while until we could have the parents teach the children IF we could... sometimes it was literally impossible...

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
as teacher of 3 year-olds I have to say sometimes its IMPOSSIBLE to wipe a child... imagine this.. you have 2 tables painting one morah at each table.. little Shlomy needs to make... he goes to the bR then calls to be wiped... a morah must leave the table full of 6 3-year-olds full of paint and go wipe little shlomy while she is doing this little moshi spills paint on the floor... little shully starts eating the paint and little Yitzy runs out of the room... the morah from the otehr table runs out to catch yitzy and her table goes nuts as well...

IE most classes are staffed with JUST enough help to get school things done.. there are tiems when it is physically IMPOSSIBLe to do....

how aboutt his one.. teacher #1 is on her lunch break while morah #2 does circle time... again do we stop circle time to go wipe little suri?

Our school had a no wiping rule but those with the younger kids would do it for a while until we could have the parents teach the children IF we could... sometimes it was literally impossible...

Um so what exactly is supposed to happen with the little ones that haven't quite picked up the skill yet? The child is supposed to hold it in the entire day? or sit on the toilet and wait for mommy to come wipe them at pick-up time?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:51 pm
unfortunately my 3 year old has come home with a dirty tushy as well Sad I was thinking about calling the teacher but have a feeling I'm going to get a response like the poster above me

overthehill

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:54 pm
So why dont you all try to teach your kids how to wipe themselves as best as they can, and then as soon as they come- clean them up/or check them to make sure they are clean, and if not change/bathe them-

Most kids can do it- it just takes practice.
Also, mine was afraid of getting his hands dirty, so I reinforced that the idea that it was OK if his hands got dirty because I knew soap was 100% available, so he just rinses really well....

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:00 pm
overthehill wrote:
So why dont you all try to teach your kids how to wipe themselves as best as they can, and then as soon as they come- clean them up/or check them to make sure they are clean, and if not change/bathe them-

Also, mine was afraid of getting his hands dirty, so I reinforced that the idea that it was OK if his hands got dirty because I knew soap was 100% available, so he just rinses really well....

a 3 year old! It was hard enough just teaching him how to use the toilet! Of ciurse I wipe him and change him as soon as he gets home but I don't think expecting a 3 (or even 4) year old to do a good enough job himself is realistic.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:02 pm
overthehill wrote:

I am the amother above who said that dd's teacher told me to teach dd to wipe herself. I tried. It is now a year later and she still needs me to finish up for her because she cannot get herself totally clean. What more can a mother do?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:15 pm
I am the teacher above. one idea for those of you whose teachers can't help you... is sending your child with a pack of flushave wipes to school have them keep it in their cubby (or the br if the teacher lets but then other kids might use it) and take them ot the br when needed. THAT way they have a better chance of cleaning themselves better - we had one parent do this and she seemed pretty pleased.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:23 pm
if a teacher cant wipe ur child then she shouldnt be there in the first place. Shows that she has no feeling for kids.
A teacher with heart, loves her students and can go so far to wipe a poor 3 or 4 year old. let her put on gloves and a nose clip if she cant take the smell....
does she like the smell from dirty underpants walking around her classroom?? its so unhealthy.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:25 pm
In my son's cheder only the really, really young class (age 2 1/2 - 3 1/2) wipe the boys. In the older classes theyre expected to do it themselves- but my son smartly always manages not to do #2 in cheder.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:35 pm
I worked in more than one special ed school in Brooklyn and we did everything according to the board of ed rules. We wiped every kid. We wore gloves and changed them between children. I think you're wrong in saying that by law you are officially not allowed to wipe them.

mazelandbracha

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 5:38 pm
I teach 3's and 4's. One day I was in the BR telling a child "sorry, Morah doesn't wipe you." when a voice comes out of the next stall. It was my daughter's Morah. She was wiping MY 3 yr old. embarrassed

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 7:33 pm
When I taught 2-3 yr olds. I was told I WAS not allowed to wipe the kids ( I did anyway-being a mom myself). In the school I'm in now I heard a teacher saying she is not allowed to wipe the kids. Yes It's not nice but for me it has nothing to do with cleanliness that doesn't bother me at all. Losing my job would. (CH"V) My own kids dont go in school. One son is six and still needs me to wipe him- he has issues (so no bashing please Smile

amother

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
I am the teacher above. one idea for those of you whose teachers can't help you... is sending your child with a pack of flushave wipes to school have them keep it in their cubby (or the br if the teacher lets but then other kids might use it) and take them ot the br when needed. THAT way they have a better chance of cleaning themselves better - we had one parent do this and she seemed pretty pleased.

My kids always use wipes. It doesn't help enough. They still end up dirty.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers