Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Daughter refuses to wear new outfit

suomynona

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:37 pm
I bought my 3 year old a new outfit last week. She was perfectly ok with it when we tried it on. But now she refuses to wear it. She says she doesn't like it, and won't explain why. There's no obvious reason why she wouldn't like it. It's actually nicer than her other clothes.
Should I just give up, or force her to wear it, which I doubt will work. She is very stubborn.
In general she's very opinionated about what she wants to wear each day. Do you let your little kids choose their clothes in the morning?

I'm annoyed about the waste of money. She needs new clothes, but now I hesitate to buy anything else in case she won't wear it.

overthehill

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:47 pm
You cant make her wear it!- Shell pull it right off!

What my DD laid out last night for today, is no good this AM. Go figure.
Her teachers already know that she loves Denim skirts and can alternate between 2 of them all the time. Shell wear striped shirts with Paisley tights and I couldnt care less because at least she is clean and shes not going to school in her underwear. On Shabbos or for somewhere important to go, I try to let her "Help" me pick in advance what shell wear and constantly remind her.

Thats why you should buy your DD the cheapest $ clothing there is out there because their opinions change every 5 minutes!

Also, try to pick out clothes the night before. I do this and I actually bring it downstairs so she ses it on the table as shes going down which serves as a subtle reninder of what she chose the night before. It works- sometimes!

hila

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:57 pm
Also - check that there are no tags on it that bother her.

If not - find out what someone said to her...maybe something like " oh you look like a princess in that" and she hates princesses.

Otherwise - leave it where she can chose it - and go to a gemach store or cheapo store for simple sweaters and pinafores (jumpers)

realeez

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:00 pm
My 5-year-old is the same! She needed a couple of new things so when I had gymbucks, I went on Gymboree.com with her and had her point out what she wanted and BH it's a success!

zigi

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:36 pm
realeez wrote:
My 5-year-old is the same! She needed a couple of new things so when I had gymbucks, I went on Gymboree.com with her and had her point out what she wanted and BH it's a success!

lol! realeez this is what I do! I ask what she likes and which one does she want. I also know that anything pink is ok. if I want her to wear an outfit that she doesn't like so much I don't rush to wash and put back her favorite outfits.

ds is starting to pick out his clothes also he is 3. I am glad that he gets himself ready in the morning, but he doesn't always pick the best combos.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 10:58 am
My daughter is also 3, and also very opinionated about what she wants to wear.

I almost always give her a choice between 2 outfits, & that usually works pretty well. I like this system because we each have some sort of say in what she wears.

Her refusing to wear the new outfit you just bought must be so frustrating! (but so typical, I can definitely see that happening here LOL ) I'd put the new outfit away for a week or 2 and hope that by then she'll forget that she "doesn't like it."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers