Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Getting Cholent Ready the Night Before
1  2  Next

suzyq

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 10:23 am
I would like to get my cholent prepared as much as possible on Thursday night, so I can just pop it onto the crock pot on Friday. If I do this, do I need to wait to put the water in until I'm ready to put it on the warmer? Or can I put it completely together in the crock, with water, the night before?

(The reason I'm asking is because I work late on Fridays and I'd like to be able to ask my DH to put the cholent on the warmer, but I want to make it as uncomplicated as possible for him.)

suomynona

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 10:26 am
I always prepare my cholent thursday afternoon. I put everything in including the water. The only thing I don't put in 'til Friday is the meat, but I don't really have a good reason for that. I could technically put it in on Thursday too.

suzyq

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 10:35 am
You put everything together and leave it in the fridge overnight?

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 10:37 am
I think it depends on when you want it to be done. I put it all together in the crock pot on Thursday night. I'd imagine you can keep it in the fridge and put it on the warmer Friday.

suomynona

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 10:41 am
suzyq wrote:

Yes

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 10:43 am
I put it in the crock, and in the fridge, but don't add the water until Friday.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 10:43 am
This is how I prepare cholent the day before:

I saute onions and meat. Transfer to crock pot. Add water, seasoning and spices. Add potatoes if using, and barley. Refrigerate.
I soak the beans overnight, toss the soaking water and then add to the crock pot on Friday.
Cook. If you don't have enough time to cook the beans until halachically ready on Friday, you can soak them Wed night and cook them a bit on Thursday till the right softness for being considered "mostly cooked", if you hold that way.

chaya35

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 10:51 am
I always make mine Thursday night. We like eating it Friday for lunch. The only thing I add Friday morning is the meat. I find if I put the meat in on Thursday its to dried out. I put it on 4.5 on Thursday night and then Friday afternoon I lower it to 3.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 10:56 am
I often do the whole thing on Thursday (including meat and water) and leave it in the fridge until Friday morning (I've even done it on Wednesday a few times). No problems.

suzyq

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 11:00 am
Thank you all for your advice! Now I just have to make sure that DH remembers to turn the crock on Wink

chaya35

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 11:17 am
suzyq wrote:
Thank you all for your advice! Now I just have to make sure that DH remembers to turn the crock on Wink

Why don't you turn it on Thursday night or Friday morning before you go to work?

Isramom8

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 11:45 am
You can add warer and refigerate the whole thing.

mummy85

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 12:05 pm
We make it Thursday. We add the barley and meat on Friday- no reason. With water and keep it in the fridge and add it to the crock pot Friday. Tastes great.

louche

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 5:36 pm
suzyq wrote:

Yes, I do. Whyever not?

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 5:38 pm
I actually cook my cholent Thursday morning, let it cook for a while and then let it cool. I put it in the fridge overnight and warm it close to Shabbos.

Hooray

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 5:46 pm
I prepare and put up my cholent thursday night. I keep it n high until shabbos and then switch it to low right b4 shabbos. So it cooks from Thursady night straight through shabbos morning and its delicious!

ila

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 5:53 pm
I read somewhere that you have to be careful with the diference of temperature, that the crock pot can crack. Maybe should leave it outside of the fridge for a while befor putting in the crock pot. behatzlacha!

Chavelamomela

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 5:05 am
My MIL cooks her cholent on a blech on the stove (the old-fashioned way!) and she puts it up Thursday night. It makes a big difference (We've compared over the years, to when she put it up friday morning).

yummydd

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 5:10 am
I put everything in on thursday night and dh puts it into crockpot base before he leaves to work.

suzyq

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 6:07 am
Ok, I got it all ready last night, added the water and asked DH to put it on the warmer when he's done with work (he works until noon on Fridays). I'll see how it works out! Thanks for everyone's advice!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus