Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What is your cholent recipe?
1  2  Next

mommyX2

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 9:36 am
please include estimated amounts if possible. I'm getting tired of my current recipe!

Burrrberry

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 10:15 am
Potatoes (one per person), Sauteed onions (2), barley (1-2 cups), can of baked or red beans (1), ketchup, BBQ sauce and honey (just squeeze random amounts), salt (1 tbsp.), sprinkling pepper, garlic powder, paprika, flanken (however much you want), water to cover and a potato kugel on top. DEEEEEEELISH!

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 10:33 am
heres mine:

oil one inch up from the bottom of the crock pot
3-8 potatoes (depending on the number of people who will be eating)
1 medium onion
1 medium sweet potato
1 bag barley
1 knokwurst

ketchup, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, water

after I put in the spices, I put in a piece of chuck

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 10:40 am
1 sweet onion, coarsely chopped
1 lb. lamb neck
3/4 c mixed baby lima beans and kidney beans -- best if soaked in water overnight, but still OK if you forget
1/2 c barley
1 bay leaf
a few sprinkles of black pepper
8 cups water -- more if your crockpot runs hot.

morah

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 10:57 am
The basics- potatoes (chunks), onions (sliced in rings), barley, chuck beef (lamb works too). Cover with water, add BBQ sauce, garlic powder, paprika, onion soup mix, salt n pepper. Cover with lid, and let the crockpot do the rest!

Things I sometimes add if they're laying around- salami chunks, hot dog or sausage chunks, whole eggs. I'm sure kishke would be fine too, but I don't personally like it much.

Note that this is a bean-free recipe. My husband can't have beans, and this is a good one to have on hand if you are having someone over who can't have beans.

kiwi

Post Fri, Nov 12 2010, 11:07 am
Cup great northern beans,
Some kidney beans, lima beans & a drop of barley,
1/4 tsp Black Pepper, White Pepper & Garlic Powder,
1 tsp Salt, Sugar & Paprika,
1/2 cup oil,
3 cups water,
Squirt of ketchup (adds loads of flavor),
Kishka (makes the chulent taste really good),
Marrow bones and soft chulent meat.

(Fill crock with one cup water, insert liner, then put in the ingredients above.)
Make it friday morning & by shabbos morning you will have the best cholent ever!

Gut Shabbos and Hearty Apetite!

avigail

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 10:50 am
how about a recipe that doesnt include potatos, tomato( ketchup, bbq sauce..), msg..and israeli ingredients? havent yet managed tomake a good cholent since ive moved to israel.

elaela

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 11:21 am
akivachaya wrote:
heres mine:

oil one inch up from the bottom of the crock pot
3-8 potatoes (depending on the number of people who will be eating)
1 medium onion
1 medium sweet potato
1 bag barley
1 knokwurst

ketchup, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, water

after I put in the spices, I put in a piece of chuck

exactly the way I do it, only that I use fresh garlic, and instead of knokwurst I add smoked chicken...yuuuuummmmyyyy

geemum

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 11:52 am
I do mine in a crockpot with no precooking:

one onion chopped and chopped garlic at the bottom
haricot beans
pearl barley
spices - salt, black pepper, paprika
small squeeze of ketchup, generous amount of mustard, 2 dashes of soy sauce
meat - either lamb neck slice or beef cubes
meat tenderdizer
white potato and sweet potato
boiling water 1 inch higher than the top.
leave it on high for 1-2 hours then lower to low.

no mixing.
amounts vary on how big cholent I need.

TehillaHadassah

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 4:04 pm
kiwi wrote:
Cup great northern beans,
Some kidney beans, lima beans & a drop of barley,
1/4 tsp Black Pepper, White Pepper & Garlic Powder,
1 tsp Salt, Sugar & Paprika,
1/2 cup oil,
3 cups water,
Squirt of ketchup (adds loads of flavor),
Kishka (makes the chulent taste really good),
Marrow bones and soft chulent meat.

(Fill crock with one cup water, insert liner, then put in the ingredients above.)
Make it friday morning & by shabbos morning you will have the best cholent ever!

Gut Shabbos and Hearty Apetite!

What is the liner you are talking about and someone on another thread mentioned a cholent bag. What are these please?

Depressed

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 4:09 pm
I dont know Sad ... my dh makes the cholent and wont share the recipe..

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 4:10 pm
It's a plastic bag that you put in in your cholent pot. First you add water, then the bag with all of your food in the bag. I'm not a fan of cooking in plastic bags though.....and I hear if it hits the metal part, or the wrong part, it melts. But, there is no clean up.

TehillaHadassah

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 4:52 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
It's a plastic bag that you put in in your cholent pot. First you add water, then the bag with all of your food in the bag. I'm not a fan of cooking in plastic bags though.....and I hear if it hits the metal part, or the wrong part, it melts. But, there is no clean up.

Thank you. It sounds like a baking bag. Sure don't love cleaning the metel cooking element if we had a cholent gone wild. But I agree with you about not being a big fan of the plastic. The recipes above look good and we too are in for a change. DH makes the cholent, but I would love to relearn the sealing the cholent part again. We use a crock pot with only two settings. High and low. It'sa bit confusing when to let it for low because low is not so low.

Mannys613

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 6:07 pm
I pour a cup (ish) of water in the crockpot then put a crockpot liner in. Two potatoes, one big onion sauteed, half a can of baked beans, 3/4 cup barley, a few sprinkles of short grain brown rice, strip of fatty meat (flanken, etc)
Squeeze in a few squiggles of ketchup, a few sprinkles of beef soup powder, salt and pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
Finally I roll up kishka in tinfoil and plop it on top. Sometimes I will cut up and half and mix it in. A little less than 2 cups of water to barely cover. Depending on when I put it up, I set the temperature dial differently: Fri morning I set it to low and switch it to warm right before Shabbos. If I have less time for it to cook enough before Shabbos then I set it to High, then to warm.

TehillaHadassah

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 6:31 pm
Is anyone making your cholent with only low and high settings? No warm? We were fine with our last crockpot that had the warm setting. May have to use this new one for week day meals. Thanks.

Leah254

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 6:38 pm
Fry one onion
Add meat (either stew, flanken or pepper steak)
fry until brown
add 4-5 five potatoes quartered
ketchup
brown sugar
garlic powder
paprika
salt
pepper
barley
beans

water to cover
boil
let simmer on low

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 6:40 pm
avigail wrote:
how about a recipe that doesnt include potatos, tomato( ketchup, bbq sauce..), msg..and israeli ingredients? havent yet managed tomake a good cholent since ive moved to israel.

So what did you put in the cholent when in chu"l?
Also, you may want to check out SCD cholent recipes (googling that may yield resuts, haven't tried it).

pobody's nerfect

Post Sat, Nov 13 2010, 6:50 pm
here's my recipe that everyone loves! it's not sweet at all, uses a very small amount of potatoes, and cooks on low the entire time.

I use this basis and multiply it as necessary (x3 some weeks!). this feeds 2-3 people.

1 c barley
1 small potato, cut into eighths
1/2 onion, cut into small pieces
1 clove garlic, minced or chopped
chunks of meat- the more the merrier
1 t salt
1 t onion powder (I often leave this out)
1/2 t pepper (more if you want it spicy)
1 T paprika (this adds color and tons of flavor)
2 1/2 c water

spray crockpot with PAM, then put all ingredients in and stir to mix spices. Plug in just before lighting candles and keep on LOW.

avigail

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 1:41 am
{So what did you put in the cholent when in chu"l? }
first, I used kalichel, which I havent yet found in israel- or I dont know what its called here!!
I was using ra_mom's cholent recipe which calls for carrots instead of potatos- I tried it the first weekhere was awful- the israeli carrots are much sweter.
also, the beans are different- although similiar enough I dont think that makes such a difference
and the crockpot is different but that just means I need to play around a bit more to figure it out.
whats scd?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 4:59 am
avigail wrote:
{So what did you put in the cholent when in chu"l? }
first, I used kalichel, which I havent yet found in israel- or I dont know what its called here!!
I was using ra_mom's cholent recipe which calls for carrots instead of potatos- I tried it the first weekhere was awful- the israeli carrots are much sweter.
also, the beans are different- although similiar enough I dont think that makes such a difference
and the crockpot is different but that just means I need to play around a bit more to figure it out.
whats scd?

So you want a soft meat. Have you tried marinating other cuts?
I've heard that the skinnier the carrot the sweeter. In the US I've noticed that the loose carrots (not the bagged) tend to be much larger. Maybe you can look out for those.
SCD is the specific carbohydrate diet, used for Crohn's and colitis (and autism, but that's a whole nother story). Very few carbs are allowed so I thought you might get some ideas for a non-potato based cholent. But clearly you have your own cholent recipe and maybe, as per my suggestions, it can be tweaked.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus