Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Can YOU tell the difference between a CZ and a diamond??
1  2  Next

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 5:32 am
Ok, I know that some "simulated" diamonds are better than others, but if your friend had one of the better ones (like Diamonique from QVC) do you think that you could really tell the difference?

I am sure a really huge one would make a difference, but if it was around 1 or 1.5 ct, would you know???

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 5:53 am
You can't tell the good fakes from the real thing! I always tell dh he should've bought me a fake. . .

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 6:52 am
MiamiMommy wrote:
You can't tell the good fakes from the real thing! I always tell dh he should've bought me a fake. . .

Good to know!
I'm asking because that other thread got me thinking, as I never got a diamond solitaire ring when we got engaged and can't see myself spending that kind of dough anytime in the future when there are more important things (like tuition!!!), maybe I should just get a nice CZ with a real gold band.
I know that in my daily life I notice that other people have diamond rings (I work with a bunch of elderly ladies that I think also wear their mothers diamonds as well because some of them have two) and I never sit there and analyze if they are real or not. It seems to me that the only people who sit there and stare at rings are when its a new kallah and her girlfriends. I've been married seven years, no one is staring at my fingers.

Also, my mother was shopping for a new diamond ring for some big anniversary (36th maybe) and wanted to "try out" a different shaped stone and setting, so she bought a QVC Diamonique from the QVC outlet to wear around town and I could NOT tell the difference!

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 7:19 am
why not? if it is a pretty ring and looks nice on your finger who cares where the stone came from? if you had a nice painting on the wall would it look nicer if the paint was made from some very rare and expensive plant? Or artificially made in a lab?

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:12 am
http://www.pennybest.com/articles/1.htm

lilacdreams

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:46 am
a family friend who was a gem person, told us that you cant see the difference to the naked eye. But for some reason I always suspect the huge diamonds are fake...but they still look nice.

I guess it boils down to how sentimental and how stuck on tradition you are. My wedding band is made of 9k gold. When my mother heard it wasn't 18k gold she nearly plotzed (by tradition wedding bands should be made of 18k gold) but to me I didn't care, gold is gold, and my 9k will last longer than any 18k.

imabima

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:56 am
I can't tell!

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 10:35 am
Thanks guys! You're making me feel better about my CZ. I just got one for my tenth anniversary, along with a new gold wedding band because I lost mine. I can't tell the difference, but I was wondering how easily others can. It's true though, once you're married for 10 years, who's looking at your ring so closely?

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 10:37 am
c.c.cookie wrote:
Thanks guys! You're making me feel better about my CZ. I just got one for my tenth anniversary, along with a new gold wedding band because I lost mine. I can't tell the difference, but I was wondering how easily others can. It's true though, once you're married for 10 years, who's looking at your ring so closely?

CC, I think I'm going to get one and I will tell you if anyone notices!
Seriously, diamonds are not worth it! They cost a lot and don't sell for very much.
I guess the trick is to not get a huge one because then it would be obvious.

Simple1

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 10:46 am
I don't know if it is noticeable, maybe it depends on the quality of the cz and the diamond. But even if there is a difference, you would only notice it by putting them side by side together to compare, not by seeing either one alone. I doubt anyone would be able to tell if you bought a cz ring that it's fake.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 10:47 am
Mirabelle wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:

Seriously, diamonds are not worth it! They cost a lot and don't sell for very much.

I've posted this elsewhere - after my diamond ring was lost, I bought a fake ring for $36. It has a really pretty setting, with begets on the sides....I have gotten more compliments for my fake than I ever got for my real ring.

However I definitely can see the difference myself....my diamond was way sparkly, full of life....maybe I should get a better fake. I tell myself that one day I'll get a real gold setting for my fake, and it'll be more real looking.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 10:51 am
Chayalle wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:

I've posted this elsewhere - after my diamond ring was lost, I bought a fake ring for $36. It has a really pretty setting, with begets on the sides....I have gotten more compliments for my fake than I ever got for my real ring.

However I definitely can see the difference myself....my diamond was way sparkly, full of life....maybe I should get a better fake. I tell myself that one day I'll get a real gold setting for my fake, and it'll be more real looking.

For sure there are better and worse ones.
What do you all think about this one?
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp......g-14K

1delicgirl

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 10:54 am
I lost my diamond ring a year after m y wedding. Crying I got a new real gold one with a cz, it really is nice nobody can tell the difference even if they stare at it (unless they're really into diamonds) but after 2 years mine is all scratched and looks very fake, but I still say it pays to get that and renew it every couple of years. I would definitely not say a kallah should get a fake.... There's something about knowing you get a real diamond from your chassan, and besides diamonds were always given through generations......

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 10:57 am
1delicgirl wrote:
I lost my diamond ring a year after m y wedding. Crying I got a new real gold one with a cz, it really is nice nobody can tell the difference even if they stare at it (unless they're really into diamonds) but after 2 years mine is all scratched and looks very fake, but I still say it pays to get that and renew it every couple of years. I would definitely not say a kallah should get a fake.... There's something about knowing you get a real diamond from your chassan, and besides diamonds were always given through generations......

Did you read the other thread? Not EVERYONE gets one and not everyone has them in their family and they have NOT been given through the generations!

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:00 am
for that price you can get a pretty gold or silver ring with diamond chips. (ie very small diamonds) check ice.com. they have a bunch of nice ones. they do not look like engagement rings if that is what you want though.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:03 am
Raisin wrote:
for that price you can get a pretty gold or silver ring with diamond chips. (ie very small diamonds) check ice.com. they have a bunch of nice ones. they do not look like engagement rings if that is what you want though.

No, I already have a ring with diamonds on it (actually I have a few, one from DH others are from the family), its just not solitaire engagement style....

If I get one I only was a real gold band. I also want it to look classy.

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:05 am
This is Tacori for QVC (I happen to LOVE Tacori). You'd never know it was a fake!

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp......eRing

Also, a lot of the Tacori for QVC is Platinum clad sterling silver which is very good so you don't even have to pay gold prices, which are super high right now!

Last edited by MiamiMommy on Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

jewels

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:07 am
My husband's in the business so he can tell in a second as can I but only because he trained me. Most people can't and there are some really good czs out there. I lost one of my diamond studs and bought a pair of $25 fakes. Nobody can tell except my husband (it drives him crazy Very Happy but I couldn't care less). Earrings though are easier to get away with because noone's getting that close to them, but a ring gets alot more banged up and dirty. It does pay to invest in a better quality cz if you want the look of a real stone.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:07 am
MiamiMommy wrote:
This is Tacori for QVC (I happen to LOVE Tacori). You'd never know it was a fake!

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp......eRing

Very pretty, I also love Tacori..I wish QVC had the Tacori in real gold and not silver!

jewels

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:10 am
Mirabelle wrote:
Raisin wrote:

No, I already have a ring with diamonds on it (actually I have a few, one from DH others are from the family), its just not solitaire engagement style....

If I get one I only was a real gold band. I also want it to look classy.

It's better to spend on a really good quality cz than low quality small diamonds. The diamonds end up looking really dead in a very short amount of time because the quality and cut is so poor.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains