Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
4 y.o. and #2

tzatza

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 8:32 am
I am not sure if it was discussed here before, but here goes...DS is turning 4 in a month. He's been fully trained for #1 (incld. night) for almost two years. He is very bright and completely verbal. He refuses to make #2 in the potty. Only in diaper. I keep asking him why he wouldn't make, and he just mentions something about not wanting.
I am trying not to push it, but just for my own peace of mind I wanted to know if anyone had kids in the same situation and what (and when) finally worked.

TIA

Rochelro

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 7:17 am
In the same boat. All I can say is that I know its pretty common.
I tried everything with my son- promised him a toy that he really wants and it didn't help.
For now, I'm just not bringing it up and letting him be. My nephew was the same and one day (when he was 4)- he just did it.
Its not fun, trust me I know! I think its just a very real fear that they need to outgrow on their own.

MommytoB

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 10:30 am
Sounds like what we went through! My docotr said, don't force her, give her a diaper and when she is ready she will. His own so did not train for #2 until 4 1/2! So for awhile I would have her sit on the toilet and read to her and then give her a diaper when nothing happened. Then I stopped doing that and just gave her a diaper from the start. Every few weeks I asked if she would go on the potty and she said no.

Finally, when she was about 4 years and 1 month, she really needed to go and I was busy with other kids and said she had to wait for a diaper or sit on the potty. She said ok I'll go on the potty, she sat down and went!!! There was nothing different about that time then any other, I guess she was just ready! And she has never asked for a diaper since then. So...it will happen! Just be patient.

beilariva

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 11:07 am
Wow. what an hasgachat pratit! My DS is also 4 in a month and I could have written this post! He even started to do nr2 on the toilet and then decided that diaper is best!
I guess it is just to wait this out. It looks like his younger brother will be completely trained before him or maybe this could give him that extra push...

JollyMommy

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 6:19 pm
I thought I would NEVER train my son with #2, we actually got it down 1 month before he turned 4 B"H.

3 things that worked:

1. at 3.5 I did dr. sears idea with making a "magic diaper" (cutting a hole in the diaper) and sitting him on the toilet. this got him to sit on the toilet. but still, lots and lots of accidents (check out my needing cheap underwear thread) did this for a few weeks. teacher also did it in school during this time. I love his teacher.

2. I told him in a very excited way "when you make poopoo it travels to other parts of the world!! let's see where it's going today!" and I printed out a map. then I would go on youtube and type ireland or israel or whatever and we'd watch a clip of where his poop traveled. this got him into going poop, less accidents as long as I was on top of it. did this for another month.

3. when he was 3.7 I drew a chart with like 25 mickey mouse heads and every poop I drew in mickey's face. I told him at end of chart we will go to disney land. if he makes an accident we start all over again. we are going to disneyland in a week IY"H.

keep in mind that he will get it. the frustration over this ruined his 3 year old year for me. next kid IY"H I hope to be a lot less jittery about this. good luck!

mc'cutie

Post Sun, Dec 05 2010, 6:23 pm
I have heard (although never tried) that if your child is used to going #2 in a diaper, get him to slowly poop on the diaper, I guess you put it on top of the potty and your child feels safer to go...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training