Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Heavy Duty Salad Ideas for Dinner

EMmom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 6:16 pm
I am trying to make salads for dinner that are similar to pizza store "create your own salads." For example, this week I made salad with lettuce, cabbage, beets, egg, cucumber, cherry tomoto and a little avocado and baby corn with a very low fat ceasar dressing.
I dont mind using a combination of fresh, frozen, canned and grilled(or slightly sautted) vegetables but I need ideas of what combinations go well together and wat dressings to use. I don't mind grilled chicken or turkey but I'd prefer to stay dairy and not too much fat in one salad.
I really want it veggie filled - any good ideas?

cutegal

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 6:44 pm
Idea #1: Romaine Lettuce, Cucumbers, Pickles, Peppers, Red Onions, Chick Peas, - Honey Dijon Dressing (honey, dijon or reg mustard, and some mayo)

Idea #2: Romaine Lettuce, Strawberry, Mango, Craisins, Toasted Slivered Almonds - Oil, Vinegar, Salt, Sugar dressing

Idea #3: Lettuce, Black Olives, Feta Cheese, Tomatos, Cucumbers, Red Onions - olive oil, dried oregano, salt pepper, lemon juice

Idea #4: Romaine Lettuce, Croutons, Parmesean Cheese - Caesar Dressing

You can really make any combo of veggies you like and experiment with dressings. To each salad you can add some protein such as tuna, grilled chicken, grilled salmon, talapia etc..

greeneyes

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 7:54 pm
Yummy meal in a bowl: romaine lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes (or regular tomatoes), red and or yellow pepper, sliced olives, canned corn, avocado, chopped fresh dill, flaked tuna from a can - flavor with olive oil, lots of fresh lemon juice, salt & pepper

You can get creative with what you add - use whatever veggies you like, you can also add canned beans or chickpeas, fresh raw sugar snap peas, sliced hearts of palm, ww or regular pasta, sliced fresh mushrooms etc.

wispalover

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 8:47 pm
I have a sweet potatoe salad posted under 'not sweet fancier salad recipes' that is yummy

I would suggest a fake chicken caesar salad recipe.. I personally use morningstar farms buffalo wings- if you are CY, use Zoglo fake chicken nuggets or mon cuisine vegan nuggets- bake til crisp, cut into strips then serve with romaine, parmesan and croutons

I am not a huge fan of many vegetables inn my salad- all my salads have:
romaine, cucumber and onion. I top with any of these combos: cashews and onions/ garlic mini croutons; terra stix and croutons; falafel bissli, dry, unsalted sliced almonds (trader joe sells these).

I also created a cheeseburger salad recipe- same concept as fake grilled chicken salad- just use a morningstar farm griller or pareve veggie burger. Difference is that a burger is lower in fat.

You could also put out all these salad topping and do make ur own tacos using pareve strips of veggie burger... Or toastadas.. or anything along those lines Smile

wispalover

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 8:48 pm
also- a spinach/ grilled portobello mushroom salad is good...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics